[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much of humanity's scientific progress has been due
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: isaac-newton.jpg (195 KB, 720x456) Image search: [Google]
isaac-newton.jpg
195 KB, 720x456
How much of humanity's scientific progress has been due to autism?
>>
>>7907469
If we use my definition of autism:

>Autist (noun): A person who did not lose his virginity while in high school or before he reached legal maturity.

Which is 100% accurate, you would be surprised.

Then a lot of people. Our friend Isaac there was a super autist. He never lost that most precious of v-cards.
>>
>>7907469
Most, if not all. It's a shame that autism will eventually be bred out of humanity, leading to the onset of the New Dark Ages and the collapse of civilization.
>>
0%. Isaac Newton wasn't diagnosed with autism.
>>
>>7907538
Because autism was invented much later after Newton
>>
>>7907469
>How much of humanity's scientific progress has been due to a made up meme diagnosis?
>>
How much would have science advanced of memes weren't discovered?
>>
>>7907572
>a made up meme diagnosis?

very few people actually have autism. i worked with speds over the summer. if you don't need a helmet or constant supervision, you don't have autism, you're just a weirdo.
>>
>>7907578
Why can't there be varying degrees of autism?
>>
>>7907588
because you still have agency.
>>
>>7907593
Sure, but individuals with a mild case of autism often have a more difficult time identifying and completing their goals. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.
>>
>>7907596
then where is the line between character and disease?
>>
>>7907606
Depends where you are on the spectrum.
>>
>>7907606
I don't know. Perhaps the line is where your traits make it so that you can no longer take care of yourself.
>>
>>7907609
yeah, that means needing constant supervision. we have facilities for those kinds of people.
>>
>>7907606
>the line between character and disease
That line is completely arbitrary and meaningless. Stop thinking everything is black and white.
>>
>>7907615

>That line is completely arbitrary and meaningless.

no its not. we don't make medicine to treat character.
>>
>>7907618
What makes you think there's a clear difference between character and disease?
>>
>>7907612
Point is, you can have some autistic traits, but still lead a relatively normal life.
>>
>>7907622
there might not be, which makes classifying it in degrees all the more dangerous.
>>
>>7907635
What? When you can't clearly differentiate between two things, that's the exact moment you should introduce a spectrum or at least a classification that allows for flexibility.
>>
>>7907578
psychiatrists like to say there's some kind of "autism spectrum" but really it's just varying degrees of how stupid you are in terms of dealing with people

anyone can unlearn these bad habits, but a truly autistic person can't really... the only division should be "autism" and "high functioning autism" e.g. temple grandin. totally messed up but still able to graduate from university
>>
File: 1438521611061.gif (1 MB, 320x173) Image search: [Google]
1438521611061.gif
1 MB, 320x173
>4chan and psychiatry
>>
>>7907645
how can you possibly diagnose with any accuracy when you just said you can't tell the difference between the disease and the character?

i make a clear line at the most extreme and obvious cases of the disease because i wouldn't risk the suppression of character.

quirks of personality don't need a medical diagnosis. if you seriously believe you are not in control and cannot overcome your own behavior for your personal care, then you need to be supervised. just because you may struggle in that does not make you ill, it makes you human.
>>
>>7907578

Autism is a spectrum disorder, dummy.
>>
>>7907666
>i make a clear line at the most extreme and obvious cases of the disease.
That's quit frankly a shitty approach to diagnosing anyone. When a doctor diagnoses you, he doesn't say "you have autism", he says "you have an autism spectrum disorder" and it's not just fanfare, they have a good reason for that.

No matter how you look at it, those "diseases" are just as much a part of your personality as anything else and you can't "cure" autism. And just like every other personality trait you can't define them with any individual person without taking into account degrees and outside factors. Only differentiating between normal and extreme cases is punishment for the people sitting in the middle.
>>
>>7907497
Hopefully the autists can achieve interstellar travel soon, develop a utopia founded on reason and logic, and leave the normies stranded here on earth.
>>
>>7907548
>autism was invented
im laughing at this but i cant quite figure out on what level the joke is meant to be.
>>
>Isaac Newton died a virgin
Just lost a lot of respect for his work
>>
>>7907807
I would love to be free of my base biological urges. Think of how much more you could accomplish if you weren't busy having sex, trying to have sex, or fantasizing about having sex. Sir Isaac was a lucky man.
>>
>Int. Ye Olde English Pub. Isaac Newton sidles up to the bar, orders some milk, then his eyes alight on the ravishing beauty sitting alone and drinking some whisky. He licks his hands and swipes his hair.

>Newton: Hey, baby. Your breathtaking beautiful gravity's so strong that it carried me all the way from my hovel in Cambridge just so I could talk to you. How about you and me go back to my place and I'll show you my asymptote.

>Bar Girl: What, did you get your lines from Jay Leno? Piss off!

>Newton: Hey, no need for that sexy language. Do you know who I am? I'm Isaac Newton, baby. I discovered the rules of motion. Why don't we do a little motion ourselves, and, honey, there won't be any rules!

>Bar Girl: Idiot. I have friends in the Royal Society, jackass. I hear you're a jerk and an arsehole. That you can't be generous to other scientists and that you preside over the Society like a strict, dour bastard. You have no sense of humour, they say, and all your time is spent trying to unlock Scripture and turn stuff into gold. Yeah, I'm sure you're really a romantic and exciting fellow who will show a girl a great time. No thanks. Now piss off.

>Newton: Wench! I'll show you! They're gonna say my name hundreds if not thousands of years from now! I don't have to take this. I'm going home to pleasure myself. My hand is more exalted than any woman!

>Bar Girl: Just make sure you don't stain the Principia. Wouldn't want future generations not to be able to read your genius. (Rolls eyes.)

>Newton: Ahhhh! (Stomps away.)

>"August 20, 1681. Struck out again. I'll never have sex!"
>>
>>7907840

Post of the day 10/10
>>
>>7907469
>How much of humanity's scientific progress has been due to autism?

All of it. Why is this even a question?
>>
>>7907840

kekkest of keks.
>>
>>7907742
the symptoms existed before it was invented but autism is an invention .
a silly way to categorize a thing that wont fit neatly into an autist\non autist dichotomy .

>>7907469
the kind of autism people like newton have is completely different from common types .
>>
>>7907469
Civilization is built on a mixture of rational self-interest and high-functioning autism, so quite a bit.
>>
>>7907840
>implying newton wasn't simply gay
>>
>>7907606
When it interferes with functioning in some area. You can still have problems even if you don't need a helmet.
>>
I'm autistic and since the symptoms can not and will not, never go away should I kill self? I can barely function even with my age...
What must I do. What must I do to retain my own SANITY??? Do something please. It is likewise that there will never be a cure. I must suffer from this torture and cannot do anything about it. It is worse with a lethal combination of depression and bipolar. I have no friends at school and feel like shooting myself. Some of my relatives own many weapons. I can take care of myself for the most part but lose my abilities and performance around anyone. My emotions constantly change and can start crying, get angry, or start laughing hysterically around people. It is madness I tell you. Anything I should know before I end my life or starting hurting lots of people?
>>
Councelors said I might be autistic but I refuse to believe that because autists that cant function or sya they are autists are retards. Retards are autists would find life easier acting stupid with no incentive if smarting the fuck up.
>>
>using Newton as an example of scientific progress
His observations were so trivial. If he didn't make them, someone else would.
>>
>>7907488
It's only accurate if you add a religion clause.
>>
>>7912668
stop being so vain as to expect better of yourself

your not as great as you think you are or want to be, and you're probably not going to improve

stop worrying over your mistakes and letting the get to you, they'll happen either way

don't kill yourself mate
>>
>>7912668
your family love you mate
>>
File: fedora699.jpg (51 KB, 265x450) Image search: [Google]
fedora699.jpg
51 KB, 265x450
>>7914194
Religious people are the biggest autists of all.

>Uhh I can't fuck you because my favorite sky ghost said not to... uh... sorry...
>>
File: 1456105378890.jpg (27 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
1456105378890.jpg
27 KB, 472x472
>>7907497
This is gonna happen a lot sooner now considering autists are being caught in the net that is sonic rather using that logical thinking and obsessions on constructive things
>>
>>7907497
>>7907734
We must unite and spread our superior genetic modalities among the stars
>>
>>7914476
>>7907497
>>7907734
hope you guys are being sarky about aut-auts making you smarter
>>
ITT: special snowflake circlejerk
>>
>>7914479
>>7914478
It's an aspie world, you're just living in it.
Like a parasite
>>
>>7914479
Typical normie, criticizing what they don't understand.
>>
>>7914220
I might end up homeless or in a psychiatric hospital for the rest of my life though.
>>7914221
I barely care anymore about that.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.