[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do Children and Teens with high IQs often do bad in school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: brainonmath.jpg (48 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
brainonmath.jpg
48 KB, 620x413
Why do Children and Teens with high IQs often do bad in school and standardized tests?
>>
[citation needed]
>>
They don't.
>>
>ITT a salty OP with an IQ of 110
>>
>>7902704
IQ only measures pattern recognition. It's good for detecting retards and not much else.
>>
>>7902704
Boredom
>>
>>7902711
>>7902710
>>7902707
OP here I'm literally a 53 year old Biology Teacher?
>>
>>7902733
citation needed
>>
>>7902704
Usually they don't.

I have an officially high IQ (had to be tested for application to gifted and talented program in my county's public school).

It's easy to become very, very bored in classes when you're placed with people who need to struggle to understand lectures fully. This is what happened to me in elementary and middle schools (and resulted in me just talking to friends during classes). I was a "disruptive" student.

Did great in HS, because my private school had 4 striations of difficulty and I just jumped into the 3rd highest immediately and then for my last two years did almost exclusively AP classes.

Now doing poorly in high school because my statistically likely depression has caught up to me and having most classes be profs. reading off slide decks really kills me.

Being smart and having impeccable self-motivation skills is what produces Elon Musk's and AlphaGo's.
>>
>>7902738
Now doing poorly in college*
Not underage b& I swear.
>>
>>7902738
>claims to have high IQ
>mistakes HS for college

Sure, buddy.
>>
File: tumblr_nj1utasFux1soqrhbo1_1280.jpg (823 KB, 1280x1856) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nj1utasFux1soqrhbo1_1280.jpg
823 KB, 1280x1856
>>7902742
0/10
Have some art, feel better about yourself, and stop trolling.
>>
They don't. That's fucking dumb.
>>
>>7902712
Heh, pretty much, but some retards can even recognize an insane world when they are born into it, thus refuse to participate.

An IQ test is really just a test of your willingness, as a monkey, to solve pointless puzzles for another monkey in hopes of getting a banana, metaphorically speaking. On a broader scale, it is used to assign a life to an assembly line, a cubicle or maybe an unemployment line.

>>7902733
Wow, and I thought I was too old to be here.
>>
>>7902704
THIS IS BAIT

I REPEAT

THIS IS BAIT
>>
>>7902704
Considering the average IQ increases the further in difficulty of education you go into, this is false. However, the correlation between IQ and grades is much less than factors such as personality, drive, and overall energy levels. I tested into a 151 IQ (adult) and GPA in high school was 2.9 while current college/uni GPA is 3.5. Get A's in core chemistry / engineering courses while get B's in social / general courses. An expectation of straight 4.0 in college seems ridiculous as some classes' grades go by the teacher's personal feelings
>>
>>7902844
Furthering on this, a teacher / professor will give an A to the student who studied 5+ hours a day to get a concept while I just got the concept right off the bat. The teacher feels the previous student deserves a higher grade because they worked harder to achieve the same. Since my repertoire of learning and concept-getting came naturally my correct answers aren't enough since there's a notion that I'm simply lazier than the previous, less intelligent, student.
>>
>>7902861
So this goes into an innate psychology. Teachers / professors do not want smart students; they want hard working students. Only when hard working students are not getting A/Bs do they care about intelligence. Past that the smart kids doing well are seen with disdain as they are required to do less work they are seen as lazy because they do less work.

About the Biology thing. Biology is memorizing lists and vocabulary. That is strictly work-related and has nothing to do with intelligence.
>>
>>7902704
They don't, unless you're using "often" in a very stupid way.

>>7902733
Then why are you writing like a valley girl whose original language is German?
>>
How can a smart student, who gets everything right off the bat, has incredible information gathering abilities, and such, get bad scores? As in, even if he teaches his fellow students before the test, but he himself gets bad grades. What is taking place here?
>>
>>7903053
Anxiety, most likely.
>>
Because teachers don't like students who disrupt the status quo. Happened to me all the time where a teacher didn't believe that it was I who wrote an essay one time. Another time another teacher didn't like formatting or some shit. Even though I basically bore the whole group project and we got a prize even.

Teachers are retards.
>>
>>7903053
Involved in a childhood trauma and has psychological problems despite an over 9000 IQ.
>>
>>7903053
Lazyness, You know you are gonna get it anyways, so why try hard?
>>
>>7905173
So this. It's kind of ridiculous, but being able to study an entire chapter's worth of material for a couple hours and get a good grade on an exam is such a temptation.
>>
I have an IQ of 140 but I suffer from autism and major depressive disorder so my GPA is 2.8
I want to kill myself tbfh
>>
>>7903053
I find it's mostly a highly trained memory. "Smart" kids in high school do two things 1) memorize what the teacher said and 2) adapt test strategies (esp. multiple choice).
In college, they pick easy majors or pick majors their parents took. They choose classes and professors who are known for being easy. They tend to collaborate with students who have previous tests, answer sheets and practice exams.

They graduate with a 3.5+ GPA and get a half decent job.

>They suck to work with
>>
>>7902739
Yeah yeah yeah troubled lazy genius w/e
Kill yourself you conceited twat

I've done well on iq tests, too. 136 tested by a US public school GT program. Not even mad.
>>
>tfw started kindergarten a year early
>tfw anxious throughout
>never studied and winged it all
>came out of high school with an 86% GPA

Am I a genius yet bros?
>>
>>7906090
>3.3 GPA

That's trash, and you should feel bad.
>>
>>7902738
>le smart but depressed
redditors need to leave
>>
File: 1445729478507.jpg (104 KB, 1385x1204) Image search: [Google]
1445729478507.jpg
104 KB, 1385x1204
friendly reminder standardized tests are basically iq tests and if you arent in the 99th percentile you should give up on accomplishing anything in STEM. 99th percentile insnt even impressive with how retarded most people are, it's just he bare minimum for me to consider you a real person. Brainlets trying to pretend iq/test scores dont matter is so pathetic to me because, even though the tests themselves are arbitrary and mostly bullshit, anyone who is actually reasonably intelligent can still score well on them. Maybe its time for brainlets to accept that they are destined for mediocrity.
>>
>>7902704

"Doing bad in school" can have numerous reasons.

-They might be bullied and not fit in because they are so different, thus very depressed and can't make themselves care about studying or school
-They might find some subjects so easy they don't have to crack a book, but this breeds very bad (nonexistent) study habits, and in the classes they find less interesting, they might not suddenly get everything just from going to class.
-They might be so bored they just don't do anything, meanwhile they are solving advanced calculus problems in their head during class.

"Not do well on standardized tests?"
-there are many kinds of intelligence. But ironically, IQ Tests *area* "standardized tests", so usually those who test well on IQ tests, also test well on the other standardized ones, unless they just don't give a fuck.

TL; DR Everybody has different strengths, even among a group of people all with the exact same IQ. And super-intelligent people are much more prone than most to laziness.
>>
IQ tested 154 in 5th grade.
IQ tested 152 in 9th grade
Failed algebra 3 times.
High school biology teacher graded on a curve, took me off because I was the only A on every test. Shit was actually interesting.
Dropped out of high school in third year.
Tested into Calculus for community college.
Failed my way out of community college.
Became truck driver.
Absolute boredom and laziness.
When assigned 150 homework problems every night for shit I already know, fuck that, into the trash it goes. Too bad homework was 50% of the grade, and 50% is a failing grade in the US public school system, so acing every test got me nowhere.
Now it turns out I'll be dead before 40 anyway, so guess it's a good thing I didn't end up with fucktons of student loans and a useless degree.

I have all the hookers and drugs I can stand, and plenty of time to shitpost. What else is there in life?
>>
File: 1456482162030.jpg (158 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1456482162030.jpg
158 KB, 1280x1280
>>7906327
>high iq
>interested in biology
>>
>>7906323
>standardized tests are IQ tests
>take a SAT/ACT review class
>get 2400/36 composite
K.
>>
>>7906332
That biology teacher let me go dig up some cambrian fossils and turn in a 50 page report on where I found them and what I thought they were, with references over summer break to make up for all that homework I didn't do.
Mostly sponges, brachiopods and tracks fyi.
>>
>ITT people who think IQ goes above 140

the definition of IQ is deviation from a mean. anything above two standard deviations is impossible to measure accurately.

stop taking online bullshit tests faggots.
>>
>>7906349
Wow interesting
>>
>>7902704

I've been tested with an IQ of 87 when I was in kindergarten and an IQ of 92 in highschool. I've been placed in special kids classes with down syndrome people and people with other mental disorders. When I finished highschool I got a job stacking boxes in a warehouse. I applied for college without much hope but got accepted.

Took me nine years but I graduated in mechanical engineering, then took me five years to get a masters in industrial automation and I'm currently going through phd program in robotics for eight years already I think I might be able to finish it before 2020.

My job today is basically reviewing technical documentation, going to meetings and signing things the technicians hand me.
>>
>>7902733
Well i am literally a doctor of biology and I can tell you that you need citations for any public assertion. Wtf did they teach you in school? Did you get your bs in bio through correspondence courses?
>>
>>7907002
Fuck you.
>>
>>7906327
>Now it turns out I'll be dead before 40 anyway
Why anon? what happened ?
>>
>>7902704
Because school (or at least high school) isn't really about education and being smart: it's about preparing young adults for a life of menial corporate bullshit and instilling a good work ethic in them, anything they actually learn along the way is just a bonus.
>>
>>7906352
The irony
>>
ITT: Edgy teenagers who think they're geniuses.
>>
File: 20160124_155435~2.jpg (667 KB, 3598x2985) Image search: [Google]
20160124_155435~2.jpg
667 KB, 3598x2985
>>7902733
iQ 145 here

I flunked out of school because i hated how stypid everyone else was and wasnt learning anything. i always aced standardized tests though
>>
File: 1451299304191.jpg (8 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
1451299304191.jpg
8 KB, 240x237
>>7906323
>Posting on 4chan to feel superior.
Mfw my hominem.
>nice try.
>>
>>7908385
you're a trip on sci and fit

What?
>>
>>7908385
You're also skinnyfat and delusional.
>>
>>7906327
dad?
>>
>>7908385
leave u fat dad bod faggot.
>>
File: 1445966947390.jpg (63 KB, 502x519) Image search: [Google]
1445966947390.jpg
63 KB, 502x519
>>7906327
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.