[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Immortality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4
File: 1456116351768.jpg (34 KB, 720x536) Image search: [Google]
1456116351768.jpg
34 KB, 720x536
What do you think the odds are that we will develop immortality within our lifetimes? How would one go about studying it or trying to achieve it?
>>
>>7901091
0. Just stop with this pathetic pleading and accept your mortality.
>>
>>7901091

The odds are very high that immortality from tevhnology is within our lifetime's reach in my opinon.surely,social media is the embodiment of what immortals will become.

But you know what?Immortality is a mortal's greedy fantasy.It is misplaced as being a good thing when the bad clearly outweighs the good.
>>
>>7901105
No, no one "accepts" the fact their entire existence will become null in a matter of years. People who claim they can are just ignoring it, which isn't the same. The truth is there is nothing worse than death, if you think we can't stop it, fine, but there really isn't a reason to give a shit about anything then.
>>
if you were to freeze yourself you should be able to last long enough for people to unfreeze you and give you an artificial musculoskeletal system that can take away the majority of diseases and physical trauma that affects us. aging of the brain could be mitigated with drugs that increase telemorase enzyme growth, and the inhibitors for alzheimers could be used to prevent going senile. other than that, it's fair game.

making a body is the hardest part though. stuff like nutrients to the brain, having neurons connect with electrodes in such a complex manner so you can walk/talk/see/etc. that's the biggest hurdle. after that you can skip medicine.
>>
accepting death is part of being human
>>
>>7901152
no it's not. being human means you are intelligent, which means being able to question that which we don't understand. accepting death is just your way of saying "i don't understand what this is so i'm going to give up using my brain.", in which case you should just kill yourself so our gene pool isn't polluted.
>>
>>7901152
Accepting death literally goes against every instinct we have
>>
>>7901165
We are stardust. We came from the dirt and we will one day return to the dirt. The fact that we are blessed to exist as sentient beings that can observe and marvel at the universe for a little while before we die should be appreciated.
>>
>>7901116
>The truth is there is nothing worse than death

Get a load of this virgin.
>>
>>7901091
so far we can extend lifespan a lot with mitochondria targeted anti oxidants. probably more if we stunt electron transport chain. but until we get rid of senile plaques, restore telomeres or actually repair the damage ROS do, we will just avoid the inevitable. anti aging research will be a behemoth just like cancer research. but if scientists don't do the right thing it will be just another fucking waste.
I say if you use what we already have you might live long enough for the actual good stuff come out.

lol
this thread just tells how much this board gives opinions on things they know jackshit about
>>
>>7901150
>ging of the brain could be mitigated with drugs that increase telemorase enzyme growth,
shut the fuck up cunt
>>
>>7901165
>>7901162
hows being 18 treating you lads
>>
>>7901152
>>7901197
>>7901112
shit eaters like you is one of the reasons anti aging research don't get funding
>>
>>7901197
>muh nihilism
>muh euphoria
the only one underage here is you m8
>>
>>7901204
>>7901213

>muh desperate fear of death
enjoy dying one day lads

ill get on with my life in the meantime
>>
>>7901116
>>7901170
Nothing worse and nothing better actually.

Atleast, if you believe you will just cease to exist when you die it's the most neutral thing that can be.
>>
>>7901247
so let's legalize murder because it isn't bad
let's stop hospitals or drug research because dying is neutral guise
>>
>>7901105
It's weird really. I wish I could go to sleep and not wake up most days. However I realize that any goal I have I can't complete it if I'm dead, so I want to wrong that shit out as much as I can.
>>
>>7901188
Thanks for the reply man. If you don't mind answering how would one go about studying anti-aging? What would they major in? I was thinking about emailing Aubrey De Grey but I haven't done any research yet, I just liked the idea.
>>
>>7901275
most researchers I've seem on the field are biologists or doctors. I'm sure you could become one with other bio related degrees. I'm just a 4th year undergrad who started biology just because of that field and that obsession with my own mortality, just like you.

FOR ME the most effective things we can do RIGHT NOW is developing drugs that either decrease electron transport chain, stunt it or are mitochondria targeted anti oxidants.
second is developing genetic therapies or drugs that increase the expression of genes responsible for telomerase and p53. that shit is crazy google it. there is little work being done on why EXACTLY shorter telomeres cause premature aging, but I dunno why. secondly there are some therapies and drugs that protect from neurodegeneration but I don't know much about it. google senile plaques and racetams. another thing that is totally my opinion: there is a lot of research on what produces or stops free radicals and how organisms age faster or slower depending on how much of it you got. but no one knows WHERE EXACTLY they are hitting. if we could fix the damage they cause instead of controlling their rate, we would probably get better results.

so basically if you got bioinformatics, pharmacy, biochemistry and genetics skills you can do that shit.

some are old and may be hard to understand for someone who isn't in university, but those are some core papers on the subject

http://www.cell.com/abstract/S0092-8674%2813%2900645-4

https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2009/08/a-list-of-interesting-longevity-enhancement-methods-in-mice.php

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131%2814%2900017-5

there are tons of institutes focused on that. in the U.S. there is a concentration of them in the west coast.

I would still mail de grey tho. also, get good grades. I'm that guy >>7900511 and I'm getting my dreams crushed because of not studying enough. the field is getting pretty big right now and so is the competition.
>>
>>7901304
plus there are a lot of people in europe that work in that field too. it seems they dont exist as much on asia or south america. in that case you are fugged and will have to study abroad, which is what I did.
alternatively you could get rich and fund the research. although I rather have knowledge on the field so I wouldn't invest on some dickhead.

godspeed anon. hope to see you in congresses in the next years.
>>
File: 1612386217.jpg (932 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1612386217.jpg
932 KB, 1000x1000
>>7901304
Not that guy, but you're pretty cool anon. I'm doing a biology degree too, but I'm not sure what field I'm going to choose later on yet. Aging is a thing that concerns me a lot, so maybe I'll go with that. Thing is, I live in south america and no one seems to care about this here.
Good luck anon, study hard and follow your dreams!
>>
does anyone here know how long a human brain would survive in our best current storage medium with a continuous supply of oxygenated blood?
>>
>>7901338
thanks anon
qt animu girls were all I needed
>>
>>7901267
I don't understand; why do you want to live forever?
>>
>>7901150
Why not just engineer the head to grow body under it from it's own genes?
>>
>>7901420
why do you want to die?
>>
>>7901204
Just die and be reborn as a jellyfish
>>
>>7901091
I think meme magic is your best bet.
>>
>>7901304
Thanks for the help man I really appreciate it. We're all gonna make it
>>
Deathists can go fuck themselves

I love you bruhs, hopefully we're all gonna make it.
>>
>>7901091
>>7901169
Once you die there is no you to be thankful of the little life you have. It's not just cutting of the life you had it is rendering it non existent. Like others have said, if you legitimately accept death then you might as well kill yourself.
>>
>>7901170
I don't understand, I'll admit I'm the worst as far as humans go, but I don't see the connection here.
>>
>>7901169
jesus christ you are a living meme

fuck off to r/atheist with this pseudo intellectual bullshit

you are not blessed by anything and aging and death are barbaric

period
>>
Very, very far away. Like, your grandchildren will definitely have their lives extended but you are without hope.
>>
>>7902681
cry moar faggot
won't change the fact that maggots will feast on your bones someday
>>
I can understand a lot of you want to be immortal and I know it's tempting. Experience all these things, how humanity will progress.

But on the other hand I want to fucking experience death, too. It must be one crazy experience in itself.

Also, you will never live forever. Some day you will die, even if you are immortal, be it the heat death or whatever end the universe finds. Suck on it, faggots.
>>
>>7902724
it doesn't matter because we're stardust tho ;-)

mind=blown
>>
File: 1334006569189.gif (1 MB, 412x516) Image search: [Google]
1334006569189.gif
1 MB, 412x516
>>7901091
If they ever do create a treatment which "cures" aging and prevents natural death, you can be damn well sure that us plebs at the bottom of the hill will never get it.

Only the rich will.

Society is also not able to cope with having people live forever, as it would lead to out-of-control overpopulation, and thus resource shortages.

So I think if they do create the immortality drug, only the Billionaires will get it (unless they enact a society-wide deputation/eugenics campaign).
>>
>>7902761
People could just not have kids and there wouldn't be an overpopulation problem. We would have to make sure to avoid a Children of Men scenario where no one is biologically capable of reproducing. What do you guys think of a human capsule? Like, make a box underground that could sustain itself for x number of years and reseed human life should the surface go to shit.
>>
we are already immortal anon
death isn't the end of life, you continue it in Heaven
>>
>>7902761
>it would lead to out-of-control overpopulation
biggest myth
lots of countries have a declining population
>>
>>7902761
>only the rich will
>implying they dont want an infinite amount of slaves.

On the otherhand an immortal human society would have some weird family dynamics since people could have 100 kids by the end of the century.
>>
>>7902761

It's likely to be expensive but if it becomes more affordable then other companies will provide it cheaper simply to corner the market, over population isn't really an issue as many people will probably put off starting a family until they have achieved more in their life/career believing there to be no rush and its not unlikely populations would still decline due to deaths from other causes and nobody having kids
>>
>>7901091
>What do you think the odds are that we will develop immortality within our lifetimes?
nil
>>
>>7901116
>no one "accepts" the fact their entire existence will become null in a matter of years
False. I have fully accepted this fact and often contemplate its coming to pass
>>
>>7901150
>drugs that increase telemorase enzyme growth
say hello to cancer
>>
>>7901304
>developing drugs that either decrease electron transport chain
yeah because it's not like we need to make ATP or anything

There is nothing wrong with this idea whatsoever and I declare you an immaculate genius
>>
>>7902761
I thought this too before, but this is total bullshit. If they create a treatment and it goes to the billionaires/millionaires, society will flip their shit and there will be riots and chaos demanding for it to be available to everyone. No human one will let that happen.
>>
>>7903066
How would it be all that different than medical procedures today? For example, someone needs a kidney but not everyone is Gonna be able to avoid it. I can see why people would be pissed though
>>
>>7903115
Not when it comes to major life extension/immortality. That would be huge.

There would be riots when it came down to that. People would be fucking pissed.
>>
>>7903119
Wrong.
>>
>>7901112
>bad clearly outweighs the good
name one downside

inb4 hurr hurr emotions every1 u luv dies D;
>>
>>7901304
good post bro, I'm studying biomedical engineering myself and I really need to find a cure for aging, I was thinking of starting with brain related diseases. What areas on the west coast are good for this research?
>>
>>7903125
Nice explanation.

Society won't tolerate it.
>>
>>7901388
I'm curious on this too
>>
>>7901152
>not leaving humanity behind for the chance to become a mutant

CMON MAN
GOTTA EAT BIG TO GET BIG
>>
>>7902495
not op but I love you guys too, we all gonna make it, I'm dedicating my foreseeable future to this research, we all gotta help each other in this field
>>
>>7903131
Yes it will.
>>
>>7903149
Keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>7903007
>ETC is the only way to get ATP
>I never read any papers on the subject however I think I can give an opinion on it because I deduced it based on highschool biocell class
so here's your (You), cunt

>>7903130
there are neuro degeneration studies literally everywhere. my tip would be looking for researchers that are interested on PREVENTING neuro degeneration rather than treating it. I'm not talking about solving sudoku at your 70's to slightly prevent neurodegeneration. avoid those studies like the plague. look for stuff like senile plaque removing treatments, for example, or drugs/genes that prevent neurodegeneration from happening. it seems that the things that cause general aging in the body are different from the causes in the brain. for example, in some studies the mice lived longer with healthier bodies, but all of them ended up with alzheimer.
take a look at sens.org and keep an eye on the summer internships, they will direct you to a lot of labs/institutes in the west coast that work on that field.
something that might be promising are racetams. but honestly I don't know much about neuro degeneration anon, so that's all I can say. the only way to learn more about it is by being driven by curiosity.
>>
>>7903299
also look for review papers. instead of going around hunting tons of articles to read, read one written by someone who already did that. branch into articles that interested you the most. then look for professors that are near you that work with that. if you don't find one, work with one that will teach you skills that are necessary for your desired field.
>>
>>7902761
>>Society is also not able to cope with having people live forever, as it would lead to out-of-control overpopulation, and thus resource shortages.
First off, I don't think this will be a problem according to nearly all data we have, the number of children a couple has is inversely proportional to average lifespan. Aside from that, if you're able to keep yourself at age 30 for eternity why would you be in a rush to have kids? Unless you get hit by a bus or something you'll be able to have kids 80 years from now just as easily as today.

Second, if a cure or heavy mitigation of aging DOES cause population problems, it's just one more reason for humanity to get its collective lazy ass off of this rock and out into other parts of our solar system.
>>
File: 9a7db7bf42cdf3425eda94d4a87b506d.jpg (325 KB, 1677x1169) Image search: [Google]
9a7db7bf42cdf3425eda94d4a87b506d.jpg
325 KB, 1677x1169
>>7901430
It's not that you want to, it's because you have to. You're seriously thinking that you deserve immortality? Only the God Emperor of Mankind deserves immortality. All we can do is fight to keep his Imperium immortal along with him
>>
>>7903382
>not wanting to become the god emperor yourself
>>
>>7902852
>People could just not have kids and there wouldn't be an overpopulation problem
That never really works considering there are always going to be people fucking and having kids, even when they don't need to have them.
>>
Evolution has never produced immortality. If a specific dna sequence lives long enough, a germ will evolve to eat it.
>>
>>7903504
hello, Horus Lupercal
>>
>>7903581
Which is why intelligence must break outside the biological loop entirely. There's not a damned thing evolution can do against specially designed nanobots that wholly destroy targeted pathogens without exception.

Given enough care and sophisticated technology it's entirely possible to all but eliminate illness-causing viruses, bacteria, etc.
>>
>>7903581
Factually wrong, ageless species do exist
>>
>>7901091
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7ruLqU_ndw
>>
What I personally would like developed is a database where human consciousness can live inside a computer so that they can be brought fourth later on and put into artificial bodies if they so choose. I think it's best to respect everyone's personal beliefs and if they don't want to be stored and just die permanently then fine. However, if they do wish to be stored in a database of the dead then they should have such an option available. I know one of the biggest arguments against living as long as you want is "death is the natural order, the old must die to make room for the new and young" however if we start colonizing the infinite expanse of the galaxy, surrounding galaxies and reach our way into the universe, I think there is plenty of room for us 2 million year old farts that are waiting to see Earth get engulfed in flames 5 billion years from now.
If they come out with some cryotech in the coming decade or 2 I would be much obliged to try it. Hopefully nothing fucks up while i'm in there like Idiocracy where Luke Wilson woke up 500 years later. If I see a shitty little era or decade coming, I won't mind missing up to 10 years.
>>
>>7902730
if you want to know what dying feels like, take a bunch of ketamine. it's a pretty interesting experience.
>>
>>7903581
A number of lifeforms literally cannot die unless their mass crushs them from growth or they are eaten, and then there is that jellyfish that is immune to extinction because it can reset its life cycle infinitely. So immortality is possible through evolution infact aging seems to be a genetic glitch rather than an evolutionary adapatation. Why would life program itself to die?
>>
>>7901420
going to budge into this here, dying is an end, living is an experience. Nothing is just that nothing. it's the difference between 1 and 0. there is an infinity between them. Life is a 1, death is a 0, nothing is a very hard concept to understand when you realize you will reach it.

living forever is an escape, never reaching the ultimate despair, nothing, the absolute 0, the worst possible thing that can happen to a consciousness, is for it to not be there.
>>
>>7901152
then I'd rather stop being human.
>>
>>7903927
Because the alternative is an overcrowded planet, lifeforms on such a world would probably have evolved a strong drive to murder everything else, as that would be the only way to free up resources.
>>
>>7903956
taking that idea another step, perhaps the only way to make human immortality workable without issues of overpopulation would be to have very strict death penalty rules for any immortal people.
>>
>>7903964
well, i mean, human expansion across space might be an option. Transferring of consciousness to a digital format but thats an entire different conversation about whether thats killing yourself and being remade, whether thats possible, whether thats a copy, etc etc.
>>
>>7903964
>>7903969
Note how the development of new technologies will increase how many people we'll be able to sustain: if we get into asteroid mining and start taking resources from the asteroid belt, we would be able to sustain up to 10 quadrillion people (actual study made by NASA, look it up online if you don't believe me).

Other facts:

1) If everyone on the planet suddenly becomes ageless, the actual difference with the current predictions in population by 2100 will not be greater than 3-4 billion people (this is also online, some blogger made the calculation): obviously this will not happen but it can show you how the situation wouldn't be unbearable for a while even with zero regulations. And by then it'll be possible to expand in space.

2) As societies become richer and more educated women start making less and less children

3) If this wasn't enough we could literally sterilize immortal people, or even stop making children altogether

>but muh you are taking life away from future people

That's like a doctor telling you that the hospital won't do anything for your cancer because in 100 years someone will need those resources

>but muh stagnation of society

No such thing when neural implants and genetic modification in adults become a thing

I don't know if we'll become immortal or not but this is a rather weak argument against it.
>>
>>7901197
>arguments against immortality
>because you have to die
>why?
>because
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.