[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Science Fiction Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: tumblr_mdeikxuqwa1rjv4gro1_500.jpg (256 KB, 461x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mdeikxuqwa1rjv4gro1_500.jpg
256 KB, 461x750
Hey /sci/,

What are the best /sci/-fi Books? Which ones have you read and how did you like them?

For me:
>Solaris - Stanislaw Lem (excellent)
>Asimov - I, Robot (neat)
>>
Manifold Series Stephen Baxter
Alastair Reynolds Revelation Universe
Greg Egan-if you want really heavy SF
Peter Watts
Gregory Benford
>>
Most PKD books.
>>
Charles Darwin - The Origin of Species
>>
Dune series, not so much because of the "science"-fiction, but more because they are just good.
The second one is particularly underrated.

>>7895138
>Revelation Space universe
Only the first book in the trilogy is good. Don't know about the other novellas.
>Peter Watts
Agree 100000%

Haven't read anything by the others.
>>
>>7895125
Starship Troopers
>>
>>7895226
I didn't like Dune, it felt boring and slow-paced and Paul was an uninteresting Mary Sue.
>>
>>7895125
I also recommend the futurological congress by lem ... and also almost everything he wrote.
>>
>>7895125
I don't know what the rest of /sci/ thinks, but I like:
Vernor Vinge - A Deepness in the Sky
>>
>>7895125
Also try Greg Bear and David Brin
>>
The Forever War
>>
>>7895409
Thats why the second is so great. Basically: "you fuckers gave infinite power to the most powerful human in the universe. And made him emperor. You fucked up". People dont like it because its a massive teardown of the hero trope. Even the first had hints of that (the worse fate your planet could suffer, to be infected with a Hero).
>>
>>7895999
Yeah. The second one also has much more political intrigue, and we get introduced to the most badass faction in the Dune universe: the Tleilaxu.
>>
>>7895226
>>7896032

I liked the first Dune, but for some reason I had no attention span for the 2nd so I stalled there.
>>
bamp
>>
Adding to the list...

Asimov - Foundation Trilogy
>>
>>7895125
Old Man's War, Scalzi, John (First book great, declining fast)
Ender's Game, Card, Orson Scott (first book great, 3rd shit)
pretty much everything by Asimov (great, also they all start slow and have neat twist somewhere)
Ringworld, Larry (Rishathra / 10)
2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. (good middlepart, but I didn't like the beginning and the end with the aliens)

and more recent ones:
The Martian by Andy Weir (good)
Leviathan Wakes - Corey, James S.A. (first one good)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Adams, Douglas (2/10, couldn't really get into it)
>>
>>7896475
>The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Adams, Douglas

I really liked this one. Super funny (in a sciency/philosophical way), but also quite interesting.

I'd say it's a must read. It's really short too.
>>
bamp2
>>
A. Huxley
>>
Must recommend Ian Douglas. Think soldiers with nanotech.
>>
Also Peter Hamilton, and you NEED to read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
>>
>>7897503
>Peter Hamilton

his trilogy is so fucking horrible I had to throw it out and am now writing my own book
>if he can write shit that bad and get rich, I can do better

absolutely garbage... seriously.
>>
>>7896475
Scalzi is dog shit meme book tier though.
>>
What's the hardest science fiction book?

I like On the Origin of Species.
>>
>>7895219
(you)
>>
>>7895125

>fiction

lol
>>
>>7897515
Well I suppose there's no accounting for taste.
>>
>>7895766
This

That was the book that solidified in my mind how crazy fucking dangerous all kinds of space travel and space combat are.
>>
>>7895409
>Paul was an uninteresting Mary Sue
You can't actually call Paul a Sue though, because there are very well explained, internally consistent reasons for WHY he's special. His superiority isn't based on author fiat, and it doesn't come without its own challenges.

Also, a well executed Bildungsroman might not be new and subversive, but it's hardly uninteresting.
>>
Greg Bear.
Blood Music
Darwin's Radio

You need a knowledge of microbiology to understand Bear's books.

Clement Hal.
Mission of Gravity
>>
>>7897503
>Snow Crash
and then The Diamond Age
>>
>>7895125
>I, Robot
Great stuff. Asimov's Foundation and Robot series were great too.
>>
>>7897515
>his trilogy is so fucking horrible I had to throw it out and am now writing my own book
>if he can write shit that bad and get rich, I can do better
>>
>>7895645
Eon by Greg Bear is one of my favorites.
>>
>>7897726
Prelude to foundation is shit.
>>
>>7896475
Enders Game is awesome, going to read the first formic war by the sane author, heard it's good.

A must is 1984, not too sci-fi but still very good.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.