[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If chromosomes are the definitive method of determining biological
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 5694238079_53118c1d4e.jpg (37 KB, 435x310) Image search: [Google]
5694238079_53118c1d4e.jpg
37 KB, 435x310
If chromosomes are the definitive method of determining biological sex, male and female, then how come so many people continue to say that it is actually genitalia that defines gender?

I'd say that due to malfunctions such as baby girls being born with a penis or baby boys being born with both a vagina and penis. This is a pretty poor method of determining which gender a person is assigned to at birth.

What is wrong with using chromosomes define biological sex? It's more indisputable.

Also, I ask this as a purely scientific question about biology.
>>
File: 1391436989405[1].jpg (30 KB, 326x246) Image search: [Google]
1391436989405[1].jpg
30 KB, 326x246
>>7891133
What is the point of this thread? Anyone worth listening to would already assume chromosomes define actual biological sex, more so than physical genitalia. XX female, XY male.
>>
Sex and gender are not the same thing dumbass.

It's also a gene on the Y chromosome that determines sex (SRY). Put that gene on an X chromosome and progeny that is genotypical female (XX) is born phenotypically male.
>>
>>7891169
Is it possible to convert an XX to XY by adding SRY to one of the X chromosomes?
>>
>>7891172
It's still XX, but the offspring is born male.
>>
>>7891133
I'm in school studying Medicine.

The fact of the matter is that birth sex and gender is complicated, due to the complexity and intricacy of the human body and the various factors that work together to make someone male and female (such as chromosomes, prenatal hormones, genetics, genitalia, the brain, etc;)

The fact is that 99% of the time chromosomes xx and xy determine the sex of the baby, xx for female and xy for male respectively.

In 1% of cases, babies are born with chromosal disorders which lead to intersexuality, such as a boy being born xxy or xxxy, or a girl born with a y chromosome. And then there are cases where a child, in this case, a male is born with a hormonal problem, such as androgen insensitivity syndrome, which makes their brains and bodies unable to respond to testosterone, therefore leaving an unmasculinized, feminine brain and body; there are also syndromes/hormonal imbalances that cause girls to have masculinized brains and less feminine bodies -- and many of these girls suffer from autism; interestingly enough autism affects boys more than girls and there is some evidence that this is due to "overmasculinized brains".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12039606

https://iancommunity.org/cs/understanding_research/extreme_male_brain
>>
>>7891211
And then we come down to prenatal hormones, which "Wash over" a baby's brain inside the mother's womb before birth. For boys they are exposed to testosterone and girls, estrogen. This permanently wires their brain into their gender identity, which coorelates to their birth sex.How much testosterone/estrogen exposure a baby receives will affect how masculine/feminine the boy/girl respectively, will behave and think later in life. If a girl acts like a tomboy and is pretty masculine and has boyish attributes, you can bet her brain was exposed to a lot of testosterone in the brain before birth. In men, there are feminine men, neural men and macho very masculine men, in the very macho men you can bet for sure their brains had a ton of testosterone exposure, more so than feminine and neutral acting men. This all comes down to something called digit ratio, and you can find out yourself how much test/estrogen you were biologically exposed to by measuring your index to ring finger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Prenatal hormones also, obviously, affect gender identity, and if someone with a male or female chromosomes has their brain exposed to the opposite of their respective sex's intended hormones, then transsexuality occurs. They will have the gender identity that does not match their birth sex. It also determines sexual orientation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenatal_hormones_and_sexual_orientation#Gender_dysphoria

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prenatal_hormones_and_sexual_orientation

Problems/errors with prenatal hormones can be caused by stress from the mother of some kind, certain medical drugs and other environmental factors as well as biological.

Finally there's the recent study that showed that men and women can have organs that are literally different genders, which makes for a unique perspective on what it means to be your birth sex if you have organs meant for the opposite sex.
>>
>>7891213
tl;dr Prenatal hormone exposure, biological factors, genitalia, your organs, genetics all together determine what your sex is. The fact of the matter is that 99% of the time, chromosomes determine your biological sex, because what results is that the prenatal hormone exposure is normal, the genitalia is normal, the biological and genetic factors are normal and they all match up. 1% of the time, shit happens and shit goes wrong due to biological and/or environmental factors and thus makes determining someone's biological sex/gender complex; ie; they are a mix of male and female, and various factors determine how much male and female they are.
>>
>>7891211
>>7891213
>>7891214
You do realize that academia has been corrupted by oversensitive crybabies to where logic and truth has been twisted as not to hurt anyone's feelings, right?
>>
op is a faggot with homosomes instead of chromosomes
>>
>>7891133
THERE'S A THING CALLED SEX AND GENDER, DON'T MIX THEM UP. ONE DEFINES BIOLOGY AND THE OTHER DEFINES IDENTITY.
>SORRY FOR CAPS, I'M RENDERING A VIDEO AND IM LAZY TO CONSTANTLY PRESS SHIFT. ANYWAYS, OP IS A FAGGOT
>>
>>7891223
An excellent informative series of posts that are at least sourced in some way and all you can do is act like a contrarian better than thou faggot spewing /pol/ level retardation. I almost forgot where I was, thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>7891172
YEA... LIKE... SORRY... I MEANT MALE, NOT FEMALE... FUCK YOU GENETIX
>>
>>7891223
I think I'll listen to the guy who's in medical school, you /pol/fuck.
>>
>>7891244
FUCKING NERD, THINKS THAT ANONS GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOLS. FUCK YOU ANON
>>
File: lVitlzB.gif (974 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
lVitlzB.gif
974 KB, 960x540
>>7891246
>>
>>7891211
>chromosal disorders
>disorders
there is this word again. can you try not to judge people day after day ?
>>
>>7891211
>>7891213
>>7891214
These posts are too good for 4chan.
>>
>>7891270
Well thanks. Well 4chan has a lot of retards who don't understand medicine/science, but there are some people who do and want to know it. Medicine is tough and stressful, but I always found it fascinating, hence why I got into it.
>>
>What is wrong with using chromosomes define biological sex? It's more indisputable.
Because it's a pointless distinction.

The people who have a problem with some with xy chromosomes using the women's restroom aren't going to have any less of a problem with someone who has xx chromosomes but phenotypically male traits using the women's chromosomes.

No one is going to ask to see your karotype before you take a dump.

Also >>7891211
>>
>>7891214
Ay cool post m8. I Enjoyed reading it.
>>
Why do you guys like to give in to the tranny agenda?
>>
>>7891332
Because science doesn't cater to your prejudices.
>>
>>7891211
>>7891213
>>7891214
TL:DR?
>>
>>7891214
>>7891213
>>7891211
Why do many medical personal pander to a tranny's delusions?

Are you suppose to tell it like it is?
>>
>>7891270
>falling for the reddit copypasta
>>
>>7891133
Protip: "Sex" and "gender" are not precisely defined concepts. There is a wide distribution of people on those metrics. Admittingly, the distribution is bimodal - aka most people tend to be reasonably accurately described as "male" and "female", but there are exceptions, including intersex, transex, transgender.
>>
>>7891211
>>7891213
>>7891214
Namely, what this guy said. Good work.

>>7891223
And it seems that you need to die in a fire.
>>
>>7891551
>>7891553
Why do you listen to the lies being told by the liberal media?

Life sucks, but why deny reality?
>>
Chromosomes define sex
however it does not define gender

Sex does not equal gender.
>>
>>7893112
>Life sucks, but why deny reality?
Because ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>7893116
>Sex does not equal gender.
It does though. Otherwise what you're saying is that male and female characteristics are learned and not inherited, which is objectively wrong.
>>
File: 1337480157201268.jpg (14 KB, 280x340) Image search: [Google]
1337480157201268.jpg
14 KB, 280x340
>>7893146
Then how come you lack all masculine characteristics.
>>
>>7893146
No, Gender is a social construct
Sex is not.
>>
>>7891211
>>7891213
>>7891214
Have you read those studies? Theres a handful in the articles that frankly prove only weak correlation, and none that show causation. And where are you pulling that 1% out of? It's not mentioned anywhere, I guarantee it's not that high
>>
>>7891409
I've seen a number of them with significant Narcissistic Personality Disorder, transgender is likely their easiest way to focus attention, though many seem perfectly normal. I think most cases are bullshit though.
>>
>>7891211
MD or DO?
>>
>>7893191
>>7893187
>>7893157
>>7893352

>>>/pol/
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.