[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't we travel at the speed of light? How could mass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: FB_IMG_1456457385762.jpg (27 KB, 356x354) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1456457385762.jpg
27 KB, 356x354
Why can't we travel at the speed of light? How could mass reach infinity, when infinity isn't actually a number?
>>
>>7890714
>How could mass reach infinity
It can't. Everytime we say something diverges to infinity in physics, we mean that we don't know what actually happens but it isn't good.
>>
>>7890714
It can't.
The point is that the faster a massy object travels, the more energy it takes to accelerate it. This energy grows exponentially the nearer you are to c. Taking the limit, then, we say infinite energy (part of which will transfer as mass as well) is required to reach c with a massy object.
>>
>>7890714

Gravity has the same speed as light, so the only logical and theoretical way to travel near the speed of light is to ride on a gravitational wave
>>
>>7890723
>we mean that we don't know what actually happens but it isn't good.
I've read enough hentai to know where this is going.
>>
>>7890714
mass doesnt increase, its invariant under lorentz transformations
>>
>>7890714
>How could mass reach infinity
What you are referring to as mass is, in fact, energy, or in non-natural units, energy divided by [math]c^2[/math].
>>
>Why can't we travel at the speed of light?

Because Kinetic Energy = Velocity * Velocity = n1, n1 * Mass = n2, n2 * 0.5 = n3 = Kinetic Energy.

As well, Energy = Mass * 299,741,000 = n1, n1 * n1 = n2 = Energy. E=mc2 is the KE in the first equation. That is, first calculate your KE, then plug KE into E in E=mc2, and you can calculate the extra mass you gain at that speed which = n1(Mass.) Then, take n1 and calculate the energy required to get that mass to your desired Velocity.

You'll note that the energy required to get anything to c is huge. Once you start using E=mc2, you'll note that your mass goes up as you near c. You quickly hit a brick wall where nothing you can do can get the energy required to reach that speed.

This is the physical limit that people say prevents FTL travel - all the other rhetoric saying it's impossible is a philosophy to protect the west's notions of causality.

However, curved momentum space suggests that as you gain E, the direction in which you're travelling (Called a vector) contracts from the force. So as you go faster, your mass increases and pushes against the space in front, and pulls the space behind you. So, the space in front shortens, and the space behind you elongates.
>>
>>7890843
[math]\frac12 mv^2[/math] doesn't hold at relativistic speeds, also see
>>7890764
>>7890794
KE at relativistic speeds is
[math]m (1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2} - 1) c^2[/math]
>>
>>7890856

>[math]\frac12 mv^2[/math] doesn't hold at relativistic speeds, also see

Hence my explaination of how E=mc2 needs to be used to calculate the increasing mass. Or did you not read my post?
>>
>>7890843
>>7890714
And this is what happens if you try to discuss physics without knowing physics.
There's a reason that it takes more than 1 week to get a physics degree.
>>
>>7890872
[math]E = mc^2 [/math] is only true for non-moving object. The general equation is:
[math]E=m^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2 [/math]
>>
>>7890873

>And this is what happens if you try to discuss physics without knowing physics

You get corrected, and your math gets more accurate?

>>7890880

Noted. Thanks muchly.
>>
>>7890744

>implying spic hyperdrive
>>
>>7890744
I thought gwaves are just a spacetime distortion? how to 'ride' that?
>>
File: kubrickQuotes.jpg (60 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
kubrickQuotes.jpg
60 KB, 850x400
>>7890714
>>
>>7890880
>E=m2c4+p2c

I assume you mean E^2.

Another way to view this is E= Mc^2, where M is the relativistic mass not rest mass.

M = m(1-v^2/c^2)^(-1/2); m = rest mass.
>>
>>7890714
>Why can't we travel at the speed of light? How could mass reach infinity, when infinity isn't actually a number?
You have just answered your fucking question. You can't reach infinite energy, therefore you can't reach speed of light. Unless you are a massless particle, that is.
>>
>>7890714
Whatever created the laws of physics certainly didnt want Type 0 civilizations the ability to easily make interstellar travel but search for more unorthodox methods instead.
>>
>>7891625
>I thought gwaves are just a spacetime distortion? how to 'ride' that?

You can't. Space time engineering isn't a thing and the gravitational waves are not affected by the presence of matter or other gravitational waves.
>>
>>7890714
>mass reach infinity
It would if it could but it can't so it won't
>>
File: 101.png (216 KB, 610x403) Image search: [Google]
101.png
216 KB, 610x403
If you want to travel at lightspeed through space, you can't have mass.

And if you want to have mass, you can't be travelling at lightspeed.

Invent a space vehicle that has no mass; that's the first step to lightspeed travel.

Alternatively, find a way to travel through space without "moving". Build an Alcubierre Drive.
>>
[math]
\displaystyle\rlap { \lower{-1.5em}{You ~can't~ travel }}
\rlap { \lower{-1.9em}{Cant}}
\rlap { \lower{-2.5em}{
~~~~~~~~can't ~travel~ the~ speed}}
\rlap { \lower{0.6em}{of~ light}}
\rlap { \lower{0.5em}{of ~~light}}
\rlap { \lower{1.9em}{only~ a~ fraction}}
\rlap { \lower{2.5em}{
~~~~~fraction }}
\rlap { \lower{2.7em}{
~~~~~~fraction }}
\rlap { \lower{3.4em}{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.999^{9^{9^{9^{9^{9^{9
^{9^{9^{9^{9^{9^{9^{9}}
}}}}}}}}}}}}}
\rlap { \lower{3.5em}{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=1}}
\rlap { \lower{3.4em}{
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~=1}}
\rlap { \lower{4.2em}{you~ can ~travel ~at ~the ~speed ~of ~light}}
\rlap { \lower{4.25em}{you~ can ~travel ~at ~the ~speed ~of ~light}}
\rlap { \lower{4.1em}{you~ can ~travel ~at ~the ~speed ~of ~light}}
\rlap { \lower{4.7em}{you~ can ~travel ~at ~the ~speed ~of ~light}}
[/math]
>>
>>7892943
holy fuck dude
>>
>>7890714
>Why can't we travel at the speed of light?
I cannot explain this fact to you in terms of something that you're more familiar with, because I do not understand it in terms of something that you're more familiar with. This is one of the elements of the world which you will have to accept on the basis of evidence, and from that and other similar facts, I can explain a great many things that look like they're unrelated.

~Paraphrasing Feynman in the youtube video "Fucking magnets, how do they work?".

> How could mass reach infinity

It doesn't. You never reach that fast in finite time.

> when infinity isn't actually a number

In some number systems, infinity is a number. It's not a Real Number, but there are other number systems.
>>
>>7890714
Brainlet STEMtards use the term 'infinity' to describe things that their puny STEMtard brains can't compute
>>
>>7890714
the mass actually approaches infinity never actually reaching it as you need more and more energy to go faster
>>
>>7892943
I think I've seen god.
>>
>>7892382
Why can't massless things go faster than light?
>>
>>7892943
wat
>>
>>7893853
E=mc^2
I don't think that things that hold literally no energy exist
>>
>>7890880
Why write out such a long equation when you can literally simplify it to [math]E^2[/math]?
>>
>>7890744
hence the alcubbierre drive, though most are skeptical about it
>>
>>7890714
You partially answered your first question with the subject matter of the second
>>
File: 1455296887582.jpg (10 KB, 480x468) Image search: [Google]
1455296887582.jpg
10 KB, 480x468
>>7892943
>>
>>7892943
I think I've ascended to the next lvl
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.