[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he the savior of Mathematics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: savior.jpg (64 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
savior.jpg
64 KB, 1280x720
Is he the savior of Mathematics?
>>
Define savior
>>
he's a hack
>>
>>7890058
wtf is that
is that even english
>>
>>7890058
When human beings learn something (e.g. math), we have a tendency to get frustrated. Learning new things can be hard. Some get over it and press on and eventually succeed. Some give up and don't learn it. Then, there's a third type of individual who sees something as difficult and says "This shouldn't be so difficult, something about it must be wrong, I'm going to fix it."

Wildberger is in that third category. Usually, the attempt to "fix" an entire field of study (e.g. math) is fruitless. As a species, it took us thousands of years to bring our understanding of the subject to the point where it is today, so one person thinking that they're going to go back to the start and redo all that work and "fix it" is most probably on the wrong track.

At best, maybe he'll provide some new insight into the subject. Far more likely is that he'll spiral into delusion and create the next Timecube website.
>>
>>7890080
Are you kidding? It's extremely basic graph theory
Like, you don't need any prior definition to understand that
>>
>>7890064
An autist who was given birth to through the wrong hole coming to fuck everything up.
>>
>>7890090
expect that V is the set of all vertices
and that E is the set of all edges, which are 2-tuples of vertices.
>>
>>7890058
He's this generations greatest living mathematician. He's like the Isaac Newton of math.
>>
>>7890058
excuse my ignorance, but isnt what he has written just zenos paradox
>>
>>7890735
No? Where'd you get that idea?
>>
>>7890088

Yeah, just like guys such as Copernicus.

You fucktard.
>>
What's going to happen is this:

Wildie will develop a new "finite" calculus,

Someone working in normal analysis and logic will then prove that every result in "finite" calculus exists in regular analysis.

A few papers will get published and everyone will then move on.
>>
>>7890735
it's basic graph theory, it has nothing to do with zeno's paradox
>>
>"finite" calculus,
>>7890853
Isn't there already something like that with only computable numbers?
>>
Is he just a textbook parrot or can he actually solve problems?

How do we know he is legitimate?
>>
>>7891192
his proofs are valid
>>
>>7891026
There are lots of different types of calculus and a good number of them are done in intuitionistic logic with anti classical axioms. In these cases the system is inconsistent under classical logic but you can prove more things. Due to the close relationship that intuitionism and computability have, many of these systems are inherently computable, have been formalized in theorem provers, and are studied in the context of type theory and category theory.

There are also other computable approaches to analysis. A cool one deals with the computable reals. Note that the computable reals are nothing like the rationals or the reals. They have all sorts of fucked up properties that make them way harder to reason about. You may be thinking of this system.

Paul Taylor also has an approach within Abstract Stone Duality where he uses a lambda calculus to construct everything. Abstract Stone Duality is inherently computable as well.

These aren't quite what Wildberger wants. He does "want" the reals but he doesn't believe we have them. So instead he's mapping out just what is possible without them.
>>
Who is he?
>>
>>7891313
apparently, there is also a real line constructed in a para-consistent logic.

Robert K. Meyer (1976) seems to have been the first to think of an inconsistent arithmetical theory. At this point, he was more interested in the fate of a consistent theory, his relevant arithmetic R#. There proved to be a whole class of inconsistent arithmetical theories; see Meyer & Mortensen 1984, for example. In a parallel with the above remarks on rehabilitating logicism, Meyer argued that these arithmetical theories provide the basis for a revived Hilbert Program. Hilbert's program was widely held to have been seriously damaged by Gödel's Second Incompleteness Theorem, according to which the consistency of arithmetic was unprovable within arithmetic itself. But a consequence of Meyer's construction was that within his arithmetic R# it was demonstrable by simple finitary means that whatever contradictions there might happen to be, they could not adversely affect any numerical calculations. Hence Hilbert's goal of conclusively demonstrating that mathematics is trouble-free proves largely achievable.

The arithmetical models used by Meyer-Mortensen later proved to allow inconsistent representation of the truth predicate. They also permit representation of structures beyond natural number arithmetic, such as rings and fields, including their order properties. Recently, these inconsistent arithmetical models have been completely characterised by Graham Priest; that is, Priest showed that all such models take a certain general form. See Priest 1997 and 2000. Strictly speaking, Priest went a little too far in including “clique models”. This was corrected by Paris and Pathmanathan (2006), and extended into the infinite by Paris and Sirokfskich (2008).

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/mathematics-inconsistent/#Ari
>>
>>7891514

Category theory throws light on many mathematical structures. It has certainly been proposed as an alternative foundation for mathematics. Such generality inevitably runs into problems similar to those of comprehension in set theory; see, e.g., Hatcher 1982 (pp. 255–260). Hence there is the same possible application of inconsistent solutions. There is also an important collection of categorial structures, the toposes, which support open set logic in exact parallel to the way sets support Boolean logic. This has been taken by many to be a vindication of the foundational point of view of mathematical intuitionism. However, it can be proved that that toposes support closed set logic as readily as they support open set logic. That should not be viewed as an objection to intuitionism, however, so much as an argument that inconsistent theories are equally reasonable as items of mathematical study. This position has now been taken up, extended and ably defended by Estrada-Gonzales (2010).

Duality between incompleteness/intuitionism and inconsistency/paraconsistency has at least two aspects. First there is the above topological (open/closed) duality. Second there is Routley * duality. Discovered by the Routleys (1972) as a semantical tool for relevant logics, the * operation dualises between inconsistent and incomplete theories of the large natural class of de Morgan logics. Both kinds of duality interact as well, where the * gives distinctive duality and invariance theorems for open set and closed set arithmetical theories. On the basis of these results, it is fair to argue that both kinds of mathematics, intuitionist and paraconsistent, are equally reasonable.
>>
I saw him solving some geometry problem using spreads and quadrances which, he says, let us avoid irrationals, and yet he ended with answer involving irrational square root of 6, which doesn't even exist according to his theory.
So I dare to call his theories bullshit
>>
Is he a guy who formally define naturals as strokes on whiteboard and thinks that's better definition than any other formal, widely accepted one?
>>
File: real numbers btfo.jpg (72 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
real numbers btfo.jpg
72 KB, 1280x720
>>7891378

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3V9UNN4XLE
>>
>>7891560
yea.
>>
>>7891560
In particular, the guy has a serious hate-on for sex theory, and especially infinite sets of all kinds.
>>
File: mochimochi.png (618 KB, 657x807) Image search: [Google]
mochimochi.png
618 KB, 657x807
>>7890058
>>
I came into this thread looking for some classic wildie memes like >[math]\mathbb{R}[/math] and >mathematicians hate him

I'm disappointed /sci/
>>
>>7891642
My gfs sisters cousin knew a person who dated a guy who's ex dated Sinning Montezuma. She confirms he really said this.
>>
File: MathematiciansHateHim.png (156 KB, 549x349) Image search: [Google]
MathematiciansHateHim.png
156 KB, 549x349
>>7892692
Creator of "mathematicians hate him" here, I got you bruh.
>>
>>7892721

thanks bruh
>>
File: 1451462275512.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1451462275512.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
>>7892721
Do you have any resources that can teach me to math without [math]\mathbb{R}[/math] so that mathematicians hate me and I learn the truth? bls
>>
>>7891026
Yes but they still allow choice sequences
>>
>>7892910
Just search for rational trigonometry on youtube.
>>
>>7892939
thanks anon
>>
>>7891605
>Mathematics without real numbers
He only uses imaginary numbers then?
>>
Rational trigonemtry actually makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>7894912

He uses Wild numbers.
>>
>>7894912
He uses a restricted subset of them with only rational coefficients.
>>
>>7890058
That exercise at the bottom looks fun:

Show the cube is the only bipartite graph. Maybe I'll try it this afternoon
>>
>>7890088
dude that is a bit harsh and i dont mean in a "you hurt some ones feelings" way. he is nothing like a schizo site and everyone can observe some deficiencies with current systems. its like your arguing einstein was insane for trying to overturn newton. not claiming this guy is right but like are you using hyperbole to be funny?
>>
>>7891192
Because he has more than enough credentials ? I mean he may have some crazy ideas about real numbers but he is still a professor
>>
>>7890220
Underrated post
>>
>>7892910
Dumb weeaboo
>>
>>7890078
a hack just throws sin and cos at you and tells you to just plug shit in. a hack just tells you to use your calculator and never bothers to explain how functions work. sin and cos came about after calculus so theres no way you can understand trig without first understand calc. that is unless you go the historical route that math took. or rational trig. it makes way more sense.
>>
>>7897873
Trig came way before calc, plus you don't even need trig to understand calc.
>>
>>7897873
>sin and cos came about after calculus
>>7897936
>Trig came way before calc

thats not what i said. I know the field of TRIG has been around since antiquity. the FUNCTIONS of SINE and COSINE came after calc.

please excuse the cruise control but im afraid you are going to confuse terms again e.g. the entire subject of trig is interchangeable with the functions that are contained within the subject.
>>
>>7897138
[math]\frac{10}{10}\in Wild[/math]
>>
>>7899863
proof?
>>
>>7890058
>implying Mathematics needs salvation
GTFO
>>
>>7899614
>the FUNCTIONS of SINE and COSINE came after calc
wrong again Captain Capslock, they were used by astronomers hundreds of years before calc
>>
>>7890058
[math]epic\ thread\ tb h\ fa m[/math]

[math]i\ mean\ \mathbb{KEK}[/math]
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.