[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
HOW DOES GRAVITY WORK?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: why.jpg (37 KB, 528x480) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
37 KB, 528x480
I know we don't normally help eachother out, but please, please, please take a little trip over to /x/ and help explain gravity to this Flat-Earther. They post a new thread every fucking day because they don't understand how Earth works.

>>>/x/17401613

Quotes from thread:
>For example why can't planes from lets say Canada just fly north to get to Europe on the other side of the earth? Instead they fly the much longer distance east or west. Also if you are flying a plane you would constantly have to tilt your nose down or eventually you would be in space due to the curvature. Ask any pilot and they'll say they don't have to make those adjustments.
>So is gravity just a selective force? If i hover a helicopter above the earth does gravity say "I've got your back" and hold you in place. Why doesn't the earth rotate under you? Planes fly east and west the earth rotates west towards east at 1000 mph. So if fly east at 1000 mph should the equal speeds cancel each other out and leave me "hovering" over that point.
>The earth rotates WEST at 1000 mph. If i fly east at any speed lower then 1000 mph I shouldn't be able to get anywhere. Or is that the magic of gravity and our atmosphere too? LOGIC tells me these things don't work at this point these natural laws are just working against each other. But because some guy in a lab coat does some math its okay?
>>
>>7888856
i would but im chem

if you got any chem questions i can help you senpai
>>
>>7888856
I can give a little help. First one is just regulations, google ETOPS. You don't wanna be caught trying to make an emergency landing 4 hours away from any airport.

Second and third, if the atmosphere didn't rotate with the Earth, we'd be blasted constant supersonic wind
>>
>>7888881
This.

Explain to him that "at rest" all objects on Earth, including planes and the atmosphere, are moving with the Earth. That is the default state.
>>
People make me scared for the future sometimes :(
>>
>>7888895
It didn't work. Are stupids stupid forever? How do you teach an adult the laws of up and down?
>>
>>7888914
You can try and teach him about how radio transmission works, and why he can't get chinese radio in his car
>>
>>7888914
You can bring a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

At the end of the day he believes earth is flat cause he wants to. As long as he does not want to change you won't change his mind. You can present facts though.

Nice to know /x/ isn't so stupid as to believe flat earth.
>>
They think all science and picture proof is a conspiracy to hide the truth that the Earth is flat. It's mind boggling.
>>
>>7888920
>>>/x/17402327
>>
>>7888940
I know right. The lengths the government goes to, to hide the truth... Mind boggling indeed :^)
>>
>>7888952
That guy's right, AM radio can reflect off the ionosphere, but he also understands that the only reason that is relevant is because they need to bend around the curvature of the earth. He's not one of the flat-earthers.
>>
>>7888964
Thanks.
>>
Coriolis effect
>>
3) Velocidad relativa
>>
Lmao you couldn't disprove it yourself so you had to come to us? Maybe you're not as smart as you think.
>>
Why do you try to reason with x?

They constantly bait me into arguments about whether ghosts are real

Turns out it's just low light and auditory conclusions
>>
>>7889085
*hallucinations
>>
>>7889073
Its not the quality of my explanations that are causing the issue. I thought more votes on the side of science would help. /x/ is not the most rational place on 4chan, but even we think flat Earth is retarded.
>>
There's this field. Its like being submerged in a 3d field of force.

This force is hilariously weak. Fortunately, the cosmos is much larger than the force is weak, so we can see it doing things.

This force effects the accumulation of mass. The larger the mass, the greater the force. Most ms aspire to be the M in G(Mm/r^2).

This force attempts to decrease the distance between bodies of mass; It attracts.

For some reason, mass doesn't want to be in motion. When objects collide and the result results in 0 acceleration, The objects combine in inertia, ignoring centripetal force.
>>
>>7888856
I have an idea. Instead of being rational since that obviously doesn't work we try a different approach. Flat Earth is not the problem, it's gravity. People can't get over the fact that we are on a globe and can fall off at any moment. It's much easier to think we're on a flat plane. We say that Iron is magic. It generates gravity by magical forces unknown to us at the core of the earth. The evidence for this is Earth's magnetic field and Aurora Borealis. I'm sure many of you are familiar with it. It's what keeps us on this planet. It's spoopy. The electromagnetical discharge of the magical flux in the center sometimes leaks out and cause weird shit to happen on the surface of the Earth. Weird lights and shit
>>
>>7889180
To present my case how Iron is magic:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_peak

>For elements lighter than iron on the periodic table, nuclear fusion releases energy. For iron, and for all of the heavier elements, nuclear fusion consumes energy, but nuclear fission releases it.

Iron is at the center of everything that happens in the universe. As sun is doing nuclear fusion from lighter elements such as hydrogen and helium and creats heavier and heavier elements it reaches iron at which case it starts losing net energy and starts going exploody pants. This magical iron is the spread out over the universe which it clumps together to create planets.
>>
If you are curious about flat earth watch these two videos about 2 hours and some change. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lchtwf5Fvhc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH6p-Ab9f9Y
>>
>>7889398
No one here is curious about flat Earth except in the context of abnormal psychology.
>>
1st question: planes sometimes take longer roots because there are some places where the amount of radiation is too high.
2nd: you're traveling at 1000 miles east relative to the rotating earth inertial frame.
3rd: same as 2nd.
>>
>>7888856
Haha, I was reading that very thread on /x/ earlier today.

Sorry I didn't chime in, but I think you'll find that flat earthers are pretty resistant to any logic, or what they perceive as "facts".

Better to let them post their bullshit, and find the humor in it, although I did feel a little for the guy who started the thread since he was just trying to look at it objectively. That is the thread you mean, I am assuming.
>>
>>7888940
They should put these people on a ship in high orbit and force them to EVA with 30 minutes of air, so the last thing they see before they die is the big, round earth.
>>
The earth is flat, but the spacetime in which it exists is curved
>>
>>7890919
>>
>>7888856
They're a lost cause m8.
Trust me
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.