[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the laziest job in STEM and how to get it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6
What is the laziest job in STEM and how to get it?
>>
How do you expect to succeed at anything like that?
Grow up, stop watching cartoons for pedophiles, and actually work.
>>
>>7887604
Look not all of us want to waste our only life laboring away and having 1 week vacations to Cancun every year to "relax". So my goal is to not have to work. Thus by working I'm not really succeeding.
>>
>>7887610
You don't have to work when you're dead.
>>
>>7887611
You're not you when you're dead.
>>
>>7887610
This could easily be accomplished with a middle management position at a restaurant or department store.

If your plan is to enjoy life, you really don't need a significant surplus of money to do that.

If you actually want to do as little work as possible, skate by on a CS undergrad, and be good with people. If you can't code, then you will probably get a management position if you kiss enough ass. Decent money and all you have to do is make sure the people actually doing the work are meeting deadlines.
>>
Project management
CAD Designer
Sign-off engineer
Web developer
>>
>>7887593
Engineering. It only requires strong tongue and bouncy sphincter.
>>
>>7887593
Dumb hamsterposter
>>
Engineering and management major if you suck up to people
>>
Computer science, i.e., evolutionary computation (GP and GA), use the power of simulated evolution to do all the work for you.
>>
pharmacist. fuckin count some pills and put em in a bottle, a monkey could do it
>>
Why does it have to be in STEM if your onlycriterion is how lazy you can be? This meme is so fucking stupid.
>>
File: corn_dog_tenshi.jpg (93 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
corn_dog_tenshi.jpg
93 KB, 500x500
>being a lazy fuck
>>
>>7887687
Then why do they need so much training and certification to be a pharmacist?
>>
>>7887738
>m-muh regulations
>>
>>7887687
>go to pharmacist for meds
>wait an hour
>when guy finally comes out of the storeroom with the pills i ask why it takes so long?
>"i had to put the label on the box"
fuck pharmacists
>>
mechanical engineering degree -> CADmonkey office job
>>
>>7887967

same with chemeng.

I've seen 50 year old chemeng and mecheng people at work. Relaxed would be an understatement. Definitely not unprofessional or goofing off though
>>
>>7887977
I'm on a co-op work term for an elevator company right now, and approximately 50% of my job is 2D CADwork and 30% is 3D CADwork. It's a really relaxing job and pays well for a student, so I can see it being a really stress-free career choice.
>>
>>7887620
You shouldn't underestimate how much work that actually entails, though.
>>
>>7887687
I don't think medicine is considered STEM, even though it ought to be.
>STEM...M
>>
>>7887697
he's probably lazy but still wants a good salary to effort ratio
>>
>>7887610
Why don't you come up with some original idea for a product then get rich then retire earlier?
>>
Most lazy work is boring as shit though senpai.
>>
>>7887593
you can get an engineering degree and work in some sort of local government desk job
>>
>>7887610
Then stay away from STEM.
>>
>>7888695
Can confirm
>>
>>7887718
Dumb weeaboo
>>
>>7887593

Easy. It's a "Research Professor" or "Research Scientist" in an academic lab.

It's a position for PhD-level, postdoc-trained scientists in academia. Essentially, the entire gig is consists of research, 9-to-5. There's no grant writing (salary is paid by the PI), no lecturing, no mentoring students or post-docs, no departmental obligations (recruitment, committees, etc.). The pay is at least $60k, typically $65k - 70k. (If the lab is HHMI, the pay is $80 - 90k.)

The level is above a post-doc, but not that of a tenure-track professor. The positions are not particularly competitive, since not many PIs can or want to pay for them. (And, why pay for them, when post-docs on their second or third stint will take on the same projects for double the hours and half the pay.) After a PhD and post-doc, find a well-funded lab and apply.
>>
>>7887967
>>7887977
>>7887987
>>7889490

I like these, but could this be possible/feasible in Aerospace? What degree should I have? Is it worth? I don't mean a lazy, but a comfy way.
>>
>>7890005
Aerospace needs CFD and FEA analyst all the time. It's literally advanced CAD. You sit at a computer, set up a program, let it run. Come back, report the results. Makes bank but requires a masters.

Everything is in CAD so they need CADmonkeys all the time too.
>>
>>7887593
Umaru studies
>>
>>7887593
i'm an engineer for the Department of the Interior. i design and maintain ranger outposts for the forestry service.

got my own truck, travel if i want, and spend 90% of my day reading articles and drinking coffee. the only real work i do is drafting sophomore project level towers and buildings in CAD.

comfy as fuck fampai.
>>
File: 1453625166742.jpg (106 KB, 554x439) Image search: [Google]
1453625166742.jpg
106 KB, 554x439
>>7890041
Still better than gender studies.
>>
>>7887619
>be sign-off engineer
>do fuck-all, just approve designs made by my underlings
>don't even look at them
>one of them makes a silly error in applying loads
>sign it off
>pic related happens
>>
>>7887987
How do I get into CADwork?
>>
>>7890234
Practice your preferred 2D and 3D CAD program at home, put it on your resume and try to get a job.
>>
>>7890066
Dumb weeaboo
>>
Some dude on k makes 60k with an associates degree in applied science. You fags should kill yourselves for bickering over whats easy or will make you cash.
>>
File: Hyatt_regency_bolt-226x300.jpg (15 KB, 226x300) Image search: [Google]
Hyatt_regency_bolt-226x300.jpg
15 KB, 226x300
>>7890225

Wasn't the cause a construction worker misinterpreting the schematics?
>>
>>7891963
To the extent that I know, they changed it for ease of construction, partly because the threading for the original single-rod design would probably get damaged during construction.
>>
>>7890234
practice. just pirate your platform of choice and start building shit.
>>
>>7887593
Lab tech

Get a PhD in biology
>>
File: Orbitrap.png (34 KB, 513x280) Image search: [Google]
Orbitrap.png
34 KB, 513x280
>>7887593
Do chem/biochem. So many QC jobs are just HPLC or GCMS. Not hard, just feed the autosampler
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.