[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does anything stay in orbit for millions of years with all
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg (304 KB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
NASA-Apollo8-Dec24-Earthrise.jpg
304 KB, 2400x2400
How does anything stay in orbit for millions of years with all the stuff (asteroids and such) hitting it and slowing its movement down.
>>
>>7887525
That stuff is very small
>>
>>7887539
Like OPs dick
>>
>>7887525
It does deter the orbit a bit but not too significantly.

It's true that minor fluctuations accumulate and the effects grow exponentially.
>>
>>7887525
How does it make you feel to know that the moon actually is slowly careening towards the planet?
>>
>>7887525
Well as long as big-Globe continues to keep you sheep brainwashed then you'l never understand that the earth is flat, and the sky is a hologram projected to keep you fucks brain-dead

Also nice shop job, where'd you make that FAKE picture at?
>>
>>7888329
It's actually slowly careening away from the planet. In something like a couple billion years, it's going to escape its orbit.
>>
>>7888329
It isn't; it's getting father away.
It's a bit more complex, but basically it's leaching of earths rotational speed to get farther away from earth.
>>
>>7888329
>slowly careening
>>
>>7887525

They get hit from all different directions so a lot of the displacements get cancelled out by opposing impacts. The law of averages.
>>
>>7887525
Read this: http://what-if.xkcd.com/146/

Stop Jupiter

I understand that the New Horizons craft used gravity assist from Jupiter to increase its speed on the way to Pluto. I also understand that by doing this, Jupiter slowed down very slightly. How many flyby runs would it take to stop Jupiter completely?
>>
>>7888989
Inb4 we stop Jupiter and make it fall into the Sun for more energy.
(Not sure if that would make the sun just burn faster I think I've read something like that before)
>>
>>7888876
A head on collision would slow the earth down more than a bump from behind would speed it up.
>>
>>7888341
False. It is drifting due to tidal forces. The Earth loses rotational velocity while the moon increases orbital velocity in exchange. Eventually, after the moon gets a little bit further away in a couple million years. The effect of the tidal forces will disappear, as the Earth becomes tidally locked to the moon. At this point, the Earth's spin and the moon's distance will stay approximately constant for billions of years until the sun dies.
>>
File: 1455621807995.jpg (106 KB, 1016x720) Image search: [Google]
1455621807995.jpg
106 KB, 1016x720
>>7889380
>Inb4 we stop Jupiter and make it fall into the Sun for more energy.
Kickstarter this shit.
>>
>>7888387
>Per assurdo
Good luck with your non-constructive proofs.
But I prefer to say reductio ad impossibilem because Latins.
>>
>>7889641
the moon is already tidally locked with earth
>>
>>7889789
Yea but the earth isn't tidal locked with moon yet
>>
>>7889791
What did he mean by this
>>
>>7889826
Moon is facing the Earth with the same side all the time. The reverse is not true, although would eventually happen if the process wasn't so slow that it won't make it before the Sun dies.
>>
It doesn't. The earth is flat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH6p-Ab9f9Y
>>
>>7887525
Why would it "slow it down"? Why not speed it up?!

I am having endless fun with this old but neat little program.

http://www.nowykurier.com/toys/gravity/gravity.html
>>
>>7889969
Nobody wants your opinion son, the grownups are talking.
>>
>>7889949
> it would be so if not for that it ain't so
You literally just contradicted yourself by saying that.
Disregarded.
>>
>>7888989
More than you think.
>>
File: downloadfile.jpg (96 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
96 KB, 1600x1200
>>7889747
That just might work..
>>
>>7889989
You are literally retarded. The process is measurable, Earth's rotation is slowing down and Moon is getting further away. It's just too slow to make a full tidal lock happen before the Sun goes red giant.
>>
>>7890011
I don't care. I won't be around. Neither will you. Neither will Jamal or Pajeet for that matter. So let it go.
>>
>>7890018
You should care. Leap seconds exist because the moon is slowing down the Earth's spin. It is a very measurable part of your life.
>>
>>7889380
>Inb4 we stop Jupiter and make it fall into the Sun for more energy.

Sorry Jupes, looks like you're gonna have to take one for the team.
>>
>>7889989
>> it would be so if not for that it ain't so
>You literally just contradicted yourself by saying that.

There's nothing contradictory about that statement. Retardedly obvious, but not contradictory. Lrn2English
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.