[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /sci/ do you like robots?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
hey /sci/

do you like robots?
>>
ya
>>
Those look like oil derricks
>>
>>7886025
me too. I work with them daily.

>>7886030
they are 6 axis motoman robots. shitty pic cuz lol HTC one a shit camera.
>>
>>7886035
>pic related
my personal favorite, FANUC robots.
>>
Make me a robot loli pls
>>
>>7886059
uhhhhh not that type of robots, anon.
>>
>>7886072
i still like robots
>>
>>7886080
there's a guy on diy who has a 6 axis fuck bot. has a dildo on the end and everything.
>>
>>7886008
They'll be obsolete soon. I'll bet they don't even have force/torque control capability.
>>
File: qt robot.webm (302 KB, 400x310) Image search: [Google]
qt robot.webm
302 KB, 400x310
i want to fuck a robot!
>>
File: raw.gif (208 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
208 KB, 220x165
>>7886008

did one of them taste human blood already?

how many days since last accident?
>>
>>7886475
...And what will replace them?

>>7887007
...one killed my friend at work, back in '13
>>
>>7886533
dat strut doe.
>>
>>7886008
>tfw not a systems of industrial engineer
life is suffering.
I just want to design and make all that high throughput. efficient machines.
>>
>>7887207

damn man how did it happen?
>>
>>7887225
didn't properly lock out when going in a cell, working on an operation. leaned over it and when a screwdriver in his breast pocket flagged a prox, the robot thought it had a part to pick and crushed his neck.
>>
>>7886533
This is over 2 years old! How did I not know about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7zX7CgjyA

>i want to fuck a robot!
Me too, bro. A sassy little tease that can clean itself after playtime.

I want about four like that, that can do maid work and wash my back in the shower, and progressive upgrades over time as the technology improves, without any discontinuities in their apparent identities or personalities.
>>
>>7887260
>didn't properly lock out when going in a cell
Isn't that supposed to virtually impossible?

>the robot thought it had a part to pick and crushed his neck.
Probably made a rhetoric pause to whisper "Fuck all humans" in his ear before snuffing him.
>>
>>7887366
he used a safety switch bypass so that it could run (has 2 sides, A and B) he was working on A side, due to production needs, he wanted B side to keep running.
>>
>>7887366
Come on man, he said it was his friend. Don't make jokes about stuff like this when you're talking directly to someone personally involved.

>>didn't properly lock out when going in a cell
>Isn't that supposed to virtually impossible?
In some places it is, generally after bitter experience taught that it was necessary.
>>
>>7887369
Why have a safety switch if there's a bypass for it?

I'm pretty sure the production needs were in complete tatters due to his remains having to be scraped off the production line.

Someone fucked up big time in designing that.
>>
>>7887376
if you had experience in a manufacturing environment I'm sure you'd be less of a cunt, and would understand how it actually works.
>>
>>7887397
Normies will never understand--
Such is life.
>>
File: robothit.png (1 MB, 683x989) Image search: [Google]
robothit.png
1 MB, 683x989
>>7887207
Smarter more capable robots that don't kill people. Robots with torque/force control and compliant actuators don't kill people.
>>
>>7887801
When do we get hairy robots?

Whiskers tell you when you're about to bump something.
>>
File: 1246016757807.jpg (133 KB, 519x600) Image search: [Google]
1246016757807.jpg
133 KB, 519x600
>>7886095
This is why I still browse to 4chan
>>
>>7887801
and how do you think it'll make current robots (cheaper, easier to maintain) obsolete? sure maybe 20 years after all robots produced have the aforementioned features, they will be, but until then, businesses will still choose cheaper robots over safer, because 99 times out of 100, there's little threat from a robot except when caused by human error. the only reason my friend died was because he put himself in that situation. he shouldn't have. he was at fault, not the robot. most robots are in enclosures, and operators are protected by safety equipment with double/triple redundancy.
>>
>>7887956
The new robots will be cheaper and easier to handle, you'll be able to cram them into less floor space and have non-programmer humans show them how to do jobs by moving their hands and training them through examples, then copy what they've learned to other units.

You'll be able to adapt inexpensive mass-produced models to a wide variety of jobs with simple jigs and add-on tools, and adapt existing human-operated tools and stations to robot operation.
>>
>>7888028
sounds like wishful thinking to me. and having normal operators 'train' them sounds like a horrible idea. you have to consider that most normal operators and lazy useless fucks (only in the industry for 5 years, with 3 years mgmt exp and I know this already)

well, at least in my area of the world.
>>
>>7888036
>normal operators
Who said that? I said "non-programmer". Engineers or managers who understand what needs to be done can do it, the same way they'd train human operators.

These things are going to get mass-produced because they're going to replace all sorts of human workers in jobs that robots can't do yet.
>>
>>7888081
I don't know man, still sounds too good to be true.
>>
File: next_wave1.png (1 MB, 1317x986) Image search: [Google]
next_wave1.png
1 MB, 1317x986
>>7887876
with torque/force(or even impedance control!) you don't need whiskers. Oh shit torque is not what it should be SHUT IT DOWN!

>>7887956
>>make current robots (cheaper, easier to maintain) obsolete?
they are cheaper and easier to maintain. The cost of torque/force control is pretty marginal. A big part of the cost of a robot is the enclosure and safety equipment.

Now, if we get mass-produced standardized like we have been promised, then things get very cheap and maintenance becomes as simple as popping in a new actuator.

>>7888036
If the robot is smart enough, you don't need anyone to program it. We are getting pretty close to going from a CAD model to weld commands in a robot. With a little work we can have robots weld stuff the engineer says is a weld. There is even some work being done that to have the robot tell the engineer that the CAD model should be split up and welded in places!
>>
>>7887366
>>7887376
Autism for sure
>>
>>7889234
so do these robots move slower or what? and do they only stop AFTER they hit someone? because out robots already stop sure to collision detections and shock sensors...but the speed and mass are what do damage. not to mention carrying 20-75lb steel automotive cradles. and the only reason my friend was killed was due to his neck being crushed into a fixture
>>
>>7890179

I don't have that much experience with robots outside of FIRST robotics, but wouldn't it be possible to mount a camera and do facial recognition before continuing on with their commands to check to see if someones in the way?
>>
>>7890437
I do believe it's possible to have an optical collision prevention system, that reads distances and surrounding areas. we use things called sick scanners for scanning a zone and preventing a robot from colliding with anything in the area (basically it is set to only clear when the zone is reading empty, if something is in the zone that shouldn't be, be it a person, a rat, a part on the floor, etc, it won't let the robot enter that zone until it is clear)
>>
vump
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.