[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Fun science XD! Why do lay people pretend to understand
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: Capture.png (2 MB, 1901x940) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2 MB, 1901x940
>Fun science XD!
Why do lay people pretend to understand or have any passing interest in science when they probably have no knowledge of basic scientific concepts. Pop-""""Science""" videos like these irritate me to no end as a student who's spent 17+ years of his life dedicated to actually studying scientific theory in detail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9g-9htg3Xs
>>
>>7884732
Let them be retards, at least they're not playing vidya and spending a college tuition's worth of money on some virtual stuff.
>>
File: pudMsyS.jpg (145 KB, 500x688) Image search: [Google]
pudMsyS.jpg
145 KB, 500x688
>>7884732
>Only those who have eschewed all sexual relations in favour of an euphoric knowledge of inter-universal teichmuller theory should have the privilege of using the word "gravity"
>>
>>7884732
man that guy's annoying
>>
>>7884739
Better if they were playing video games than pretending to be knowledgeable in fields way out of their depth. This kid didn't even finish school, how could he possibly comprehend the theory of gravity waves let alone gravity itself and educate others. People like this are responsible for the oversimplification and misrepresentation of science
>>
>>7884762
So what do you propose? Ban anyone without a degree from discussing gravity?
>>
>>7884762
If he has made any incorrect statements or assumptions, then reply to his statements with corrections. Not that you will, you're just here to bitch that a trained monkey gets more attention than you.
>>
>>7884732
He didn't say anything there that wasn't basically true though, and in doing so slightly educated - or at least MADE AWARE - his audience on such things.

The lack of general scientific understanding in the general populace, and more specifically the view of the world that accompanies this, is a terrible thing and is how stuff like the recent flat earth fad gains any credence. Anything that goes to any length to correct this is surely good, even if it's just some nerd kid making a very basic video on it.
>>
>>7884787
This. If we do what OP wants and make science an autistic sekrit club then the public will just turn to wild speculation
>>
>>7884789
Not saying it should be a secret club at all, i'm encouraging greater scientific awareness from the entire public rather than watching facile videos like these on hyoutube
>>
>>7884792
Well make your own more informed video instead of crying about someone exercising their right to make a science youtube video.
>>
>>7884732
>lay people
you're posting on 4fuckingchan and call others lay people, what do you do for a living?
>>
WHY DOES ANYONE EXPRESS ANY INTEREST IN ANYTHING THEY ARE NOT ALREADY AN EXPERT IN HURR DURRRRRR
>>
>>7884822
this
>>
>>7884822
>>7884821
>>7884816
Undergraduate kiddies out in full force today, aren't you guys supposed to be busy "studying" on khan academy?
>>
>>7884787
>flat earth fad
it is a legitimate thing though
how you should question everything and rather try to redo or (to some extent) confirm on your own

it is just that some retards take it as a literal thing and will just say "lol fake my flat theory still holds" or just say they can not be bothered to any and all evidence rather than see it as an allegory.

While they still do bother the slightest to defend or find evidence for or against their own theory (beyond calling anything people bring against it fake)
>>
File: IMG_20160224_221151.jpg (92 KB, 1080x769) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160224_221151.jpg
92 KB, 1080x769
Oh hi,there you are /sci/
>>
>>7884856
Nice b8
>>
>>7884855
ok mr scientist who posts on /sci/ whining about youtube vids

get real, loser
>>
>>7884859
>Space Stuff XD
>This is so cool XD
damn I hate the public
>>
>>7884863
>Not getting excited about space stuff
Why are you so grouchy?
>>
>>7884860
Paradigms are a thing, and it is pretty difficult to know whether any of the things you believe are actually wrong, without first questioning them.

Which is what the flat earth thing is trying to be a metaphor of, was my understanding of it (sortof like how people claiming the heliocentric model was true were shunned way back, though that was mostly because of the church and muh bible and muh power rather than people actually believing it, right?).
>>
>>7884732
I know what he is doing. We all know what he is doing? And who is at fault here? The scientists.

Let me elaborate,
These pop sci kids are only there to make money. They get some mildly interesting discovery, portray it as the new big thing in a cute video where they LITERALLY read the wikipedia page while adding mediocre visual effects and then get all that ad money.

If you ask me that is pretty smart but why are they allowed to do that? Imagine if the laboratory that discovered gravitational waves had copyrighted ALL OF THE FINDINGS and added a bunch of legal terms to it reproduction.

Something simple: Everyone and anyone is allowed to read this, but any kind of book/video/media made from this discovery is illegal unless authorized by the legal owner (the lab).

Then, either these popsci kids pay to get the right to make these popsci videos, or laboratories around the world hire one video editing guy and ask him to make videos for their findings and start making money out of their own popsci.

This is perfectly possible! WHY ARE WE NOT DOING THIS

So yeah, while physicists get cucked earning 40k a year doing the actual science, popsci kids earn over a million dollars a year making the cute videos and this is all because you let them.

Physicists are a bunch of fucking cucks.
>>
>>7884874
the funniest part is physicists get in all sorts of peer review or publishing issues if they use channels like YouTube early on, and can not keep sticking with old stuff after having been published because they have to move on or lose funding/whatever.

Inofmration should not be copyrightable though
>>
>>7884885
>Inofmration should not be copyrightable though

First, why not?

Second, you could specify what kind of licensing is allowed. For example, you have software licenses that allow to change and reproduce. To reproduce but not change. To not change and not reproduce, etc.

You should simply license it under simple 'no reproduction' terms. Let any PhD read the paper, but don't allow a fucking college drop out to read the wikipedia page and then make money out of it, without first agreeing terms with the organization/company that made the findings.

It is that easy. You want to make that popsci video? We take 70% of the revenue.
>>
>>7884889
so nobody is able to cite you in their own work and earn from it without paying you?
>>
>>7884897
I was vague but you could cover that. As I said, this is a defense against college dropouts and lib arts types that know shit about science.

I believe people should be able to quote any paper so yeah, in scientific publications the license is void, but when it come to public shit like a book (I mean books like Hawkins time shit that are pure popsci), videos, speeches, etc, the company must first authorize that.

Seriously, there is a lot of money to be made in popsci but because of autism, we have let the liberal arts fags take all that money for free. I know we are already late with gravitational waves but if labs would implement this and just hire a lawyer to defend themselves then the popsci industry would 100% belong to the scientific community and thus we could raise wages all across academia.
>>
What's wrong with some teenager reading wikipedia entries for other teenagers?

Do you really think this world is going to last? Let me tell you friend, I've seen whole systems burn away into dust. I've seen the barbarism that begins when all hope is lost and knowledge is just another weapon to kill with.

When your luck runs out, it comes brutal, fast and will catch you sleeping. You won't feel a thing and everything will crumble around you, like it's done before and will again. And if you live to see it to it's end, you'll wish a thousand times to have died instead.

A fire will engulf this world. Oceans of plasma from the deep and dark abyss. And in the ashes there will be nothing larger than a toothpick left, there never is.
>>
>>7884917
What anime are you quoting my dear japanese nigga?
>>
>>7884855
>Undergraduate kiddies out in full force today

Nothing says "undergraduate kiddie" more than complaining about "pop sci."
>>
>>7884924
that part struck me as weird as well
>>
>>7884924
cos theyre the real sci anon! Don't you know anything baka desu! THEYRE DOING SCIENCE NOW! THEY MADE IT!
>>
>>7884855
>complaining about undergrads
>as though he was never one
>complaining about popsci

You're just a /sci/ meme. Thanks.
>>
Why do you care? Stop being such a snob
>>
>>7884868
>tfw so excited about space stuff lmao
xD
>>
>>7884869
But modern physicists aren't even close to as dogmatic as the church was with the geocentric model.

All of my professors willingly have admitted that modern physics has some holes in it and could be superceded by a better theory, just as classical physics was before it.
>>
>>7884992
I guess it applies more for medicine (and psychology, biological stuff in general).

Or applications of physics in the real world. Things get blurry outside of carefully isolated experiments when multiple variables are combined.
>>
>>7884889
Knowledge of the world we live in should not be owned by anyone. That is why.

To let one group own rights to distribution of knowledge is a dangerous game to play. While I will admit that this is a slippery slopefallacy, I also poi t out that my fallacy does nkt make me wrong.
>>
>>7884998
*****Fucking cell phone typos
>>
>>7884995
I see what you're getting at. I agree that it is an important philosophy to hold, I just was not aware that it was an issue today. Then again, I don't know much about science culture outside of math and physics

(Applied math student)
>>
>>7884998
But this is not knowledge owning.

Anyone who wants to read about gravitational waves could just get the published paper and attempt to understand it. If they don't then they are free to get to a PhD level of understanding of physics.

Plus, this won't make the popsci videos disappear. This will make the popsci videos fund more science. Universities will get direct money from popsci videos made from their research, so will independent labs and companies.

This is a more just system because the only ones who lose are the freeloaders that just read entire wikipedia pages and when freeloaders lose, everyone wins.
>>
File: Gravitational-Waves.jpg (473 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gravitational-Waves.jpg
473 KB, 1920x1080
>0:50

THEY ARE FUCKING SPIRALS WHAT IS TO MISINTERPRET FROM ALL THE OFFICIAL VISUALIZATIONS HNNNNNGGGGG
>>
>>7884732
I just don't understand how so many people can sit there and watch a 4 minute video, when it would take maybe a minute to read the information he gave if it was in written form
>>
>>7885361
Reading is hard
>>
>>7885361
It's entertainment you mongoloid.
>>
>>7885115
>If they don't then they are free to get to a PhD level of understanding of physics.

Do you even read the shit you post?
>>
>>7885533
The thing abut autism is that every stupid euphoric thing you say you think it makes perfect sense. Trust me I've been there.
>>
>>7884732
There's nothing wrong with being a lay person you autistic virgin loser
>>
File: Oprich.jpg (9 KB, 236x181) Image search: [Google]
Oprich.jpg
9 KB, 236x181
>>7884732
rkn with gw its possible to go into spacetime fabric? sort of as exploring the muscle memory in that our consciousness holds all reconsilable moments our body has ever lived through, but as matter in general?
>>
>>7885526
But it wasn't entertaining...
>>
>>7885115
>man I like science but I can't understand this paper
>drops everything to focus on school
>gets accepted into university
> studies physics for several years
>finally achieves paper
>oh ok now understand, that was totally worth it.
>>
File: userg_oprich.png (18 KB, 175x150) Image search: [Google]
userg_oprich.png
18 KB, 175x150
>>7885688
alpha hub - humantics, distortions

isaac newton, carl sagan
>>
>>7884859
>I'm a math major!

We'll see how long that lasts.
>>
File: 57917215.jpg (113 KB, 560x430) Image search: [Google]
57917215.jpg
113 KB, 560x430
>>7884744
>>
File: libertarian science.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
libertarian science.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
>>7884874
>Imagine if the laboratory that discovered gravitational waves had copyrighted ALL OF THE FINDINGS and added a bunch of legal terms to it reproduction.

Well, that wouldn't make any sense because they are TAXPAYER FUNDED.
>>
So for you who have a problem woth these Youtube science videos, how do you feel about kurzgesagt?
>>
>>7884762
Misinformation is worse than ignorance lads
>>
>>7885546
did that make you feel bether about yourself anon?
Not that OP is any less insecure since he has to degrade others to make him self forget he isn't that attractive/doesn't have much of a social life but still low.
>>
>normies are tryna get into muh sekrit science club
>>
>>7884992
>But modern physicists aren't even close to as dogmatic as the church was with the geocentric model.
yeah right, so why do physicist still talk like old rationalists that mathematics describe the world ?
why do physicist still refuse to admit articles about perpetual motion in their journal ?
why do physicists refuse models which are less local than QM ?
>>
>>7884732
Who pays for your research?
The public, and their taxes?
Well then thank goodness for pop sci!
The more these fucks think they like science the more they'll tolerate their taxes being spent on you.
>>
>>7886169
>>7886169
>Well then thank goodness for pop sci!
>The more these fucks think they like science the more they'll tolerate their taxes being spent on you.
People are forgetting that this is the only reason that all this public outreach is even happening; without public enthusiasm, there is no science
>>
>>7887307
any liberal doctrine is based on
# the faith in human rights
# the faith in science
# the faith in the support of the HR by science
# the faith in the support of science by the HR

=>liberals do not have a choice to support science, because science is nothing but having better living conditions, which is called social progress by liberals and libertarians.
>>
>>7887307
>>7886169
>without public enthusiasm, there is no science
how can you think that science should exist solely for purpose such as entertainment, nor technical progress.
The purpose of science is not to entertain morons nor to achieve the biggest TV
>>
>>7887490
>how can you think that science should exist solely for purpose such as entertainment, nor technical progress
Of course I don't think that's its purpose... I was playing the part of the public's mind to display how ridiculous it is
>>
>>7884768
Take the opinion of anyone who doesn't hold a degree with a grain of salt.
>>
I don't like pop sci but they are kinda necessary. People should be somehow attracted to science. Most people won't be encouraged by 1500 pages long textbooks, obscure formulae and triple integrals. Some people will get some interest in actual science and will study in depth, some will just treat pop sci resources as entertainment but fuck them, you don't brag about shitty sitcoms and other shit shows do you
>>
>>7884732
You should shut the fuck up, you are annoying.

He just tries to help inb4 "but he is not totally correct", guess what you piece of shit? Neither are science in highschool it's very simplified.

I could go on but I have faith in that you get it even though you are stupid.
>>
Popular science is better than the alternative, popular ignorance
>>
>>7889051
only after you took a class on phislophy of science
>>
>>7884732
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrD6hTKkIY&t=4m56s

thunderf00t?
>>
>>7884874
>Imagine if the laboratory that discovered gravitational waves had copyrighted ALL OF THE FINDINGS and added a bunch of legal terms to it reproduction.

Have you ever stepped foot into academia? Most professors are complete faggots who write papers and put them behind a $100 paywall.
>>
>>7889109
is not that the publisher rather than the professor?
like maybe the professor is getting paid by the publisher, so is indirectly responsible, but still.
>>
>>7884732
Why do you people do this? There is no simple way to explain what gravity waves even are I hate the fact scientist have to cater to all the monogoloids in this species.
>>
>>7884732

So this guy right or wrong? My friend keeps freaking out about this cause she's actually going in to astronomy and I don't understand a thing she says cause I'm filthy normie.
>>
>>7884732
The presence of pop science just means that people are actually thinking about things more
Sure they'd rather click on a slideshow about some guys top 10 neato science tricks, but at least they are learning something
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.