[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If science people are so intelligent, why are they so anti-nihilistic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: monkey.jpg (139 KB, 634x875) Image search: [Google]
monkey.jpg
139 KB, 634x875
If science people are so intelligent, why are they so anti-nihilistic? Surely if they were so smart, they'd understand the meaningless of the universe, and as a result would be too apathetic for STEM, right?
>>
>>7884677
nihilistic people do not spread their genes.
they may be right, but it's irrelevant.
>>
>>7884677
Because they are normies
>>
>>7884677
The word "nihilism" doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>>7884677
Absurdism master race reporting in
>>
>>7885121
Go suicide out of /sci/, Camus-sempai.
>>
>>7885129
Nah rather live for the keks
>>
False dichotomy.
>>
>>7884677
>If X are so smart then why do they not think like me?

There should be your first clue. They are so smart specifically and exactly because they are not like you.
>>
Wish I could hide board when certain images are used
>>
>>7884677
>Surely if they were so smart, they'd understand the meaningless of the universe,

Lurk more, Opie.
Just check out any "free will" thread, or "mind upload" thread.
According to /sci/, we're all just meat robots.
Free will and consciousness are an illusion, there is no "self", etc
>>
STEM nerds, myself included, couldn't give less of a fuck about "meaning". I completely understand there is no inherent meaning to life, but all I have to say on the matter is "so what?"
>>
>>7884677
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8iEpkcDJc
>>
>>7885179
>Calls himself a nerd

Pls go back to your tumblr anime/famdoms/mlp/girlgamers/etc where your kind belong.

I know you are 'like, such a nerd xD' but here we don't share the opinions of your... kind. Pls fuck off.
>>
>>7885202
try harder
>>
>>7885224
xD show me pics of your cosplay lol. So kuwait!
>>
>>7884677
Nothing matters, so why don't you
1. kill yourself right here, right now?
2. rape some women and kill the people you don't like?
or
3. do the only thing that you are truly passionate about, and that makes you happy in this cold, meaningless world?

Science people obviously chose number 3.
>>
What do you call the in-between of pessimism and optimism?
>>
>>7884677
Wow, so edgy. You must be a really deep person OP.
>>
>>7885176
Idiot detected.
>>
>>7885317
Can someone explain this?
>>
>the consequence of nihlism is suicide
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7884677
What if the concept of nihilism was a mistake?
>>
>>7885353
I don't know if i'm right about this, but the college nihilist probably thinks life is pointless,
and the real nihilist realizes that the meaning of life is the meaning you give it (because there is no inherent meaning), and he decides that he should spend his life making money and getting bitches
>>
>>7885388
Life is pointless and without meaning. That is nihilism. The world is insane and makes no sense, but so are you so sometimes you think there is structure and meaning.

The mistake that many (young) people make is thinking that knowing this should cause you to think a certain way. It doesn't. The knowledge that life is meaningless is itself meaningless and implies nothing, except maybe that you shouldn't waste time trying to divine the meaning of life.
>>
>>7884677
Passive vs active Nihilism.

Also, passive nihilism comes hand in hand with chronic depression, so truly intelligent people indoctrinate themselves into active nihilism to avoid inevitable misery
>>
life is just preparation for death.
why would that make me apathetic?
>>
>>7884677
>If science people are so intelligent, why are they so anti-nihilistic?

All the ones you hear from are past puberty
>>
>>7886710
Because OP has just read about nihilism on Wikipedia and immediately assumes nihilists are all depressed edgy soulless losers.

>Without G-d there can be no meaning amirite xD??/
>>
>>7886738
well to help OP out: life might not have any meaning. whether it does or doesn't really isn't important.

we all (should) realize that the only thing we know about life is that we will die one day. we don't know when or where we will die, it could happen at any moment really.
there is no reason to fear death just because you don't know when or where it will happen.
>>
>>7884677
curiosity and materialistic desire
>>
You could die at any moment, and the vast, vast, vast majority of the 7 billion human inhabitants of Earth wouldn't blink an eye. So why invest so much of your own time, that is of a limited quantity, into the progression and development of the human race? Nobody will give one single shit about you once you die. And if they do, there will eventually and inevitably come a time in which there is nobody to give a shit about you. Regardless, you wouldn't be around to bask in the glory of others appraisal towards you and your work. The king and the court jester both return to the same state of dust. So why bother? Why be a STEM cuck and a wage cuck when none of this matters, and the non-existence of the ego is inevitable?

I guess this is the difference between 150 IQ and above (me), and 140 IQ and below (STEM cucks)
>>
>>7885412
>The world is insane and makes no sense

It makes perfect sense mate
>>
>>7886782
do science
impress nerdy girls
fuck them and get them pregnant
your genetics have permanence
your genes will carry on
profit
>>
>>7886952
>do science
>impress nerdy girls
What a naive fantasy. "Nerdy" girls are still sluts and only want Chad.
>>
>>7885129
This tbqh fampai
>>
>>7886782
I do stuff that I think is fun and interesting. I play video games, paint and assemble model cars, work on actual classic cars with fairly simple mechanics, and am learning how to assemble basic electrical components. I don't do it for anyone but myself because these things entertain me and bring me joy.
Maybe, just maybe, there are people out there who have made mind blowing discoveries and inventions because they felt the same way about what they were doing as I do, albeit on a level I admit I could never match.
Just because you don't find joy in anything you do doesn't mean no one else does. If you can't understand how people can be entertained by such simplistic things, you'll never understand. Not because you're a "genius," but more than likely because you're autistic.
>>
>>7884677
Beliefs are on thing, intelligence another.
>>
>>7884677
I remember you
>ryan, the apathetic, nihilistic athiest or some shit
Why did so many of you even reply to this cringe ass bait
>>
>>7887191
the more obvious he is the tastier the bait gets
>>
File: acd.jpg (25 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
acd.jpg
25 KB, 600x402
>>7885121
Muh negro
>>
>>7884677
>science people
lol
>>
>>7887251
You having a giggle there, science person?
>>
>>7887253
ya
>>
>>7884677
Because all the nihilistic smart people don't go into science; they go into banking, law, finance, politics etc.
>>
File: jolly.png (469 KB, 457x645) Image search: [Google]
jolly.png
469 KB, 457x645
Empirical evidence has provided no basis for meaning. It's a fruitless endeavor. Under the assumption that in all likelihood there is no meaning to life what someone believes is meaningless. What any of us do is meaningless. Whether you're religious or irreligious makes no difference. And that knowledge does not necessarily lead to apathy. For many the uncertainty of life causes them to find faith. For others it's a realization without consequence. And to others still it's a license to permit careless behavior. You gain and lose nothing from choosing belief. Nor does such a realization spontaneously cause an individual to no longer feel joy, drive, happiness, or a sense of accomplishment. The assumption that the knowledge of the meaninglessness of life should engender a specific reaction, behavior, or belief is self defeating.

I'd argue that if anything the understanding that seeking meaning through empiricism is fruitless opens doors to belief rather than closes them. After all you stand to gain nothing from it, and stand to lose nothing if you don't. And being an apathetic grump isn't doing anyone any favors.
>>
>>7884677
Just because its meaningless doesn't mean I shouldn't do it
>>
>>7884677
Gorilla posting is worse than frogposting at this point.
>>
>threads about actual science and math get under 30 replies or go directly to 404
>philoshit like this gets 200+ replies
>yet sci pretends that philosophy is shit tier and math/physics is the only true thing to study
You're all a bunch of fucking posturers and frauds.
>>
>>7884677

Math grad and pretty-much nihilist here. Yes, mommy hugged me enough. I had a happy home. Moreover, I'm past thirty.

Human beings in general, however you wish to characterize their constitution, are 'anti-nihilistic'. Human intelligence, and specifically intellectual honesty, are generally trumped by other deeper motivations, including the desire to belong to a group, security, self-preservation, and reproduction. These are all small-m 'meanings' which are important enough in the daily lives of humans that it is easy to put aside the deeper and more accurate inquiry and conclusion for the space of an individual lifetime.

If OP believes that the culture of science, and specifically scientists themselves are "anti-nihilistic", then he is probably referring in part, or cognizant of in the formulation, of all of the "cool" things that science does, and how great it feels to be "progressing". After all, literate scientists are obliged to use effective rhetorical language in order to win grant money, do projects, etc. "Nothing really matters" is not a grant proposal that will fly, although it is literally true. This leads to a "positive" view of discovery which is pop-sci'd out via programs like Cosmos, news articles about how we just cured Polio or developed a treatment for Ebola, etc.

cont.
>>
>>7888736

People who "speak" science seem to be more content to debate the question of God (God is where the historical grudge is) at present, than of meaning or purpose themselves. There is a conventional existential view these days that "life is just fine without God", but obviously this isn't good enough for 90 percent of the population. A few first-world /sci/ types are fine with a lifetime of this, filling the time with actually doing science as opposed to philosophical inquiry, but the point is that greater than 90 percent of the population wants some sort of purpose, or project, to spend the time. However, nihilism (the actual correct conclusion) is never far behind this "humanist atheism".

People reject the reality of nihilism because, paradoxically, this reality is antithetical to the human condition. Moreover, it's a boring (non) "story", and humans above all need stories and narratives to make sense of things.
>>
>>7884677
But then the truly smart ones would understand that while everything is meaningless, we are able to attach meanings to things. If you truly believe everything is meaningless you would probably be high on heroin fucking some crack whore.
>>
File: 1456442798419.jpg (24 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
1456442798419.jpg
24 KB, 385x385
>>7888715
>back from no gf
>tfw reddit comes on here
>>
>>7888755
Well yeah, we can attach subjective meaning to things, no shit. But objective meaning doesn't exist, because meaning arises from perception, which is subjective. Even in mathematics, axioms have to be assumed before theorems can be derived; no meaning exists independently.
>>
>>7885388
> the real nihilist realizes that the meaning of life is the meaning you give it

So postmodernism
>>
>>7885176

>According to /sci/, we're all just meat robots

We are. And our emotions are waves of Calcium, Sodium and Potassium, and neurotransmitters through our body. These elements and molecules work the same everywhere in the universe - every feeling and thought is an objective object in space, without any uniqueness.

The universe is composed of physical cycles, where elements and molecules are transmuted. A human body is a meeting place of half-lifes, as natural and self-formed as a mountain.

Imagine living before any form of history, not even a carving on a tree. The first person to invent history - to think 'People existed long before anyone I know was born' - had very little to go on. Total freedom to make any claim about anything, without fear of contradiction.

>Free will and consciousness are an illusion, there is no "self", etc

I would rather say that the universe is panpsychic, and a self is defined in terms of many objects functioning as if they were one object - coordinated limbs, muscles, neurons, organelles, etc, and quantum entanglement on the scale of molecules and below. The self exists in it's entirety in the lowest scale, and many planck-selves - as an example - fuse to form a metaself. If you simply grant consciousness to every elementary particle, the order of the universe is explicable without an infinite regression of little men inside each other's heads - because a mind emerges on the lowest level and exists whole on that level with no subcomponents.

Philosophy without physical science is delusion - physical science without philosophy is just numbers. The two were born together, and the OP's nihilism and depression are caused by their sundering.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.