[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DAILY REMINDER:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 250x250
In university engineering programs across the US, when a girl gets 70 percent correct on a test and a boy gets90 percent correct, both are given B's.
>>
>>7883443
Now translate into European.
>>
>>7883447
If diversity is given to a girl who recieved 70% multicultralism and a guy gets 90% multicultralism, free healthcare is given to the girl solely for being a girl because equality and the guy is readjusted to be an evil CAPITALIST so that the girl can be more progressed.

Translated to European now.
>>
Can you please show a source. Just curious, I know there is a bias between the sexes but just spewing shit leaves you with bullshit like the wage gap myth
>>
inb4 >>>/pol/
>>
Source?
>>
>>7883458
It's inevitable. Watch the redditors include this post, too.
>>
>>7883443
isn't anonymous test standard?
>>
>>7883457
My friends who are grad students have told me the professors advised them to be very forgiving on grading of females' tests.
>>
>>7883443
>>>/pol/

9/11 conspiracy believing FAGGOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: 1456281963713.gif (494 KB, 556x567) Image search: [Google]
1456281963713.gif
494 KB, 556x567
>>7883470
>>
>>7883458
Jesus Christ I'm not the only one noticing the insane number of shilling going on 24/7 from Marxist Redditors
>>
>>7883468
Post signed statements with photographic proof of their employment as TAs.
>>
>still no source
I'm beggining to suspect that OP is just making stuff up to fuel some sort of victim complex.
>>
>>7883468
>my friends
so this is just gossip
>very forgiving
so you just pulled those numbers out of your ass
>>
>>7883443
>giving a shit about women in engineering

they all end up as cost analysts even if they do get a job. most women who get an engineering degree, don't go on to become engineers.

the degree is just the price of admission. women don't know how to actually manage and cultivate a career.

judging by how many of you fags complain about not getting a job after graduation, /sci/ doesn't know how to do it either.
>>
>>7883479
>using "marxist" as a catchall for opinions that trigger you without knowing that marxism is a very specific economic ideology
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7883479
/pol/tard bote the bate XD
>>
>>7883504
>writting long sentences so that only ableist pricks can read
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7883504
inb4 cultural marxism & frankfurt school
>>
>>7883509
>>7883504
You belong Here
>>>/b/
>>
>>7883520
>poltard mad that echo chambers dont exist here XD
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7883468
>>7883499
/thread
>>
File: 1455409452421.jpg (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1455409452421.jpg
89 KB, 600x450
>>7883523
>/b/ tard being a /b/ tard XD XD XD XD XD XD

>>>/b/
>>
>40% of project grade is "presentation"
GIRLS REEEEE
>>
>>7883647
Shit like this is why I dropped out.
>>
>>7883647
You could talk to the coordination if they aren't cucks
>>
>>7883658
i went to a UC it's the most cucked education system on the planet
>>
>>7883443
>90%
>not an A

>girls
>not given extra credit blow jobs assignments

High school fag detected
>>
>>7883606
>posting the same nonsense over and over again
>>>/s4s/
>>
>>7883499
>>7883527
same difference
girls get bonus points to make up for lack of y chromosome
cucks like you are trained to sit there and watch like good little cucks and not complain for fear of getting cockslapped by the superior black penis..
>>
>>7883768
So in other words, what you're saying is that you don't have a credible source?
>>
>>7883443
Doubt it.
>>
>>7883787
dude believe what u want, im not ur mother... you have to suck ur own dick buddy...
>>
>>7883443
>you would not give straight A's to this grill
>>
>>7883666
My university is on the A/A-/B+/B/B- schedule for GPA so a 90 is a B+ which is equivalent to a 3.3

you are now aware that if you go to a school that doesn't give out +/- your grades are inflated because if you get a straight 90% at different schools, one will be a 4.0 and the other will be a 3.3.
>>
>>7883871
"Belief" has no place in science. Either provide evidence or GTFO.
>>
>>7883443
What kind of shit university are you talking about. Top tier ivy unis don't do that. Dumb shit this is bait go back to /r9k
>>
>>7883468

If this is true, you really should file a report to your university's gender equity resource program.
>>
>>7883443
>accepting B
>b-but I'm being discriminated against
You're a crock of shit because everyone looks at numerical grades. Remember, you dumb fuck, there are thousands of people studying better than you. How fucking embarassing is it to be beaten by girls that you have to try and justify your shit study habits?

There's no excuse for not getting a pile of old lecture notes and not learning them in the holidays. The guys I knew and some of the motivated girls did this and breezed through the assessments.

The only people who try to justify their shit grades are slack students who don't deserve their degree anyway.
>>
>>7883479
What's wrong with Marxism, aka Marxist critique of capitalism?

>>7883504
Thank you.
>>
>>7884269
>What's wrong with Marxism, aka Marxist critique of capitalism?

It is "wrong" for the same reasons that Psychology isn't science. A specific and fundamental case of this being that Value is subjectively (read: unpredictably) determined by individuals or* groups who are influenced by mostly, again, unpredictable forces. We can only predict weather conditions on a global scale at most 8-10 days into the future with <90% accuracy (probably less, depending on what metric is being predicted and to what number of significant digits)- what makes you think we can predict human behavior (which is still a vague and largely undefinable term) with any better accuracy on an even smaller scale?
>>
>>7884402

The current system is clearly designed to keep a few people at the top, that isn't even debatable.
>>
>>7884434
>The current system is clearly designed to keep a few people at the top, that isn't even debatable

You're not going to find a population of any living organism where favorable traits are evenly distributed.
>>
>>7883443
>Source: none.
>>
>>7884503
its trending on FB right now
>>
>>7883443
Who is this semen demon.
>>
>>7884562
Its my daughter fucktard
>>
File: image.jpg (31 KB, 308x442) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31 KB, 308x442
>>7884039
>>7884039
The smartest people i knew at princeton gave 0 fucks about grades ans just wanted to learn
>>
>>7884474
>You're not going to find a population of any living organism where favorable traits are evenly distributed.
The beautiful part is that you think you sound scientifically literate when you say this, and that we won't immediately notice you for who you are.
>>
>>7884564
I'd like to implant my dirty DNA in her and produce disgusting mutated offspring
Also
OP is fag
>>
File: 1451653525709.jpg (157 KB, 633x1812) Image search: [Google]
1451653525709.jpg
157 KB, 633x1812
>>7883750
>Saying you hate something while doing the same thing.

>>>/b/

We can do this allll day desu senpai.
>>
File: polredpill.png (94 KB, 739x621) Image search: [Google]
polredpill.png
94 KB, 739x621
Here OP, these colleges are more your speed
>>
>>7883878
>thinking there's any difference between a 3.3 and a 4.0 GPA in engineering
Above that it's called "luck," coming from someone with a 3.9.

Besides, +/- grading is a double edged sword. B+ gives 3.33, but A- gives 3.67.
>>
>>7883647
>being bad at presenting stuff
faggot
>>
>>7885272
>"presentation points"
>max 60% grade if you're autistic or borderline or have ever disagreed with your activist professor, no matter the merit of your ideas and arguments

It's ever more an agenda based thing to prevent undesirables from entering academia. And the guys who got lucky and didn't rock the boat are insecure enough about their empty achievements to do the dirty work and shout down anyone who points out the obvious problems.
>>
>>7883878
Literally false. Listen.

Usually 90 is an A-. Let's work with 89.

At your university, straight 89%'s is a 3.3 GPA.

At a university that doesn't give out +/- distinctions in GPA, straight 89%'s is a 3.0 GPA.

Therefore it is *your* university which, by that logic, has the grade inflation.

(Of course, the converse holds for A-/B- etc, so it evens out. Therefore a GPA +/- distinction has nill overall grade inflation or grade deflation, assuming a normal distribution solid-letter average. If it is a normal-distribution C+ average, a +/- gpa-difference produces grade inflation. It is a normal-distribution B- average, a +/- distinction produces grade deflation.)

Use your brain next time.
>>
>>7884521
>Source: none

>>7885191
>I don't know what irony is
>>>/trash/
>>
>>7885178

You're attacking my character instead of refuting my claim.
>>
>>7885689
No, they're pointing out that your claim consists entirely of spouting buzzwords.
>>
>>7885689
>attacking my character
No, I'm calling you an idiot. For your claim. I'm not trying to discredit you as a debate strategy. You can't cry ad hom every time someone gets annoyed with your /pol//tard shit.

The critique kinda goes without saying for those of us who know what we're doing here, but fine. Your comment is an example of "fractal wrongness." It betrays your total lack of understanding of evolution more in the uninformed way you formulate your claim (asking the wrong questions based on faulty understanding) rather than the incorrect claim you do make. That aside, you're oblivious to the utter irrelevance of evolution to political and economic questions, again most likely because you have at best a pseudoscientific notion of what it is in the first place entirely subservient to your ideology.

-"Favorable" is not a real thing. Evolution does not have a purpose or direction and never makes organisms obectively "better" or "worse" off. Selective pressure leads to greater representation of heritable factors that increase survival and reproductive success IN A HIGHLY SPECIFIC CONTEXT, not in any absolute sense. Regions of the developing world with high malaria incidence rate select for sickle-cell disease because those that have at least one allele are resistant to malaria.
-Roughly put, after a long period of selective pressures being the same for a population, organisms with an advantage will outcompete others and come to comprise more of the population. The relative advantage is less.This continues and the relative advantage decreases to the point where essentially all organisms are equally fit, "evenly distributed" and all. Convergent evolution is an example of this general Idea.
-Again: There's no objective or obectivity. Dressing up your ideas of social progress through violence and other questionable means as "survival of the fittest" is fundamentally pseudoscientific since evolution does not predict populations will "get better over time."
>>
>>7883503
My wife is a process control engineer

Checkmate atheists
>>
Well, women aren't as smart on average so it's fair to skew the grading scale.
>>
>>7885950
No, they're about the same on average, women have a smaller standard deviation though
>>
>>7885788
>>7885795
Here's a walk through of the conversation we've had so far, so you can try to be a little more empathetic to my perspective, since you still are just calling me names.

Question (good question)
>>7884269
>What's wrong with Marxism, aka Marxist critique of capitalism?

Answer (reasonable answer)
>>7884402
>It is "wrong" for the same reasons that Psychology isn't science. A specific and fundamental case of this being that Value is subjectively (read: unpredictably) determined by individuals or* groups who are influenced by mostly, again, unpredictable forces. We can only predict weather conditions on a global scale at most 8-10 days into the future with <90% accuracy (probably less, depending on what metric is being predicted and to what number of significant digits)- what makes you think we can predict human behavior (which is still a vague and largely undefinable term) with any better accuracy on an even smaller scale?

Changes topic, assume fairness has precedence in nature
>>7884434
>The current system is clearly designed to keep a few people at the top, that isn't even debatable.

Denies claim, albeit ad extremum
>>7884474
You're not going to find a population of any living organism where favorable traits are evenly distributed.

Incorrectly assumes debate tactic, patronizes it
>>7885178
>The beautiful part is that you think you sound scientifically literate when you say this, and that we won't immediately notice you for who you are.

Points this out
>>7885689
>You're attacking my character instead of refuting my claim.

Continues to patronize and actually* uses buzzwords (fractal wrongness? give me a fucking break)
>>7885788
>>7885795
>>
>>7885795
>"Favorable" is not a real thing.
How would you prove this? Are you deliberately being pedantic?

>Evolution does not have a purpose or direction and never makes organisms objectively "better" or "worse" off.
And because of that we, as enlightened beings, must guide that evolution for the greater good?

>Selective pressure leads to greater representation of heritable factors that increase survival and reproductive success IN A HIGHLY SPECIFIC CONTEXT, not in any absolute sense.
>Regions of the developing world with high malaria incidence rate select for sickle-cell disease because those that have at least one allele are resistant to malaria.
>Roughly put, after a long period of selective pressures being the same for a population, organisms with an advantage will outcompete others and come to comprise more of the population.

I say favorable traits are never evenly distributed in a population. You say environmental pressures lead to advantageous traits out competing less advantageous traits. You're countering my what with a how.

>The relative advantage is less.This continues and the relative advantage decreases to the point where essentially all organisms are equally fit, "evenly distributed" and all. Convergent evolution is an example of this general Idea.

So if convergences occur anyway, and organisms eventually become equally fit "evenly distributed", why do we need central planning? Why not let it happen if it is inevitable?

>Again: There's no objective or objectivity.
>Dressing up your ideas of social progress through violence and other questionable means as "survival of the fittest" is fundamentally pseudoscientific since evolution does not predict populations will "get better over time."

I didn't claim there was. I'm not claiming any kinds of shoulds. I said favorable traits are never distributed evenly in a population, which you affirmed when explaining the influence selective pressures and trait advantages.
>>
go to /pol/ and discuss marxism you stupid faggots

and stop hating on girls. your moms should have slapped you around more.
>>
File: shirtgate.jpg (48 KB, 640x559) Image search: [Google]
shirtgate.jpg
48 KB, 640x559
I was a TA for ochem 2 in college, actually technically a "UTA" because I was undergrad. But the real TA's didn't give a flying fuck about anything and just let me and another guy grade all the exams and quizzes. One of the neurotic premed girls blew me in an ally after a party in exchange for giving her A's even though she deserved C's. 72 became 92 just like that. Must have mistyped it when entering into the system. This was 8 years ago and she's a doctor somewhere in ohio now lmao.
>>
>>7886732

Looks like we ended up fitness in a population though. Not science related?
>>
>>7885932
Kinky.
>>
>>7883443
Inaccurate. Source: guy in engineering, receives 90s regularly, gets A's.
>>
>>7883443
Haha, we have pretty similar thing in Russia.
>>
>>7883977
Top tier 'muh ivy' is an overrated sjw shitholes.
>>
>>7886735
Yeah probly killing people by accident left and right because low iq=shit doctor
>>
>>7883443
name?
>>
>>7883606
>global media is all in cahoots and won't show who really pulls the strings!!! xD
>>
>>7883447
في برامج الهندسة جامعة في جميع أنحاء الولايات المتحدة، وعندما يحصل على فتاة 70 في المئة الصحيحة في اختبار وصبي يحصل الصحيح 90 في المئة، وكلاهما يتم إعطاء بفي.
>>
>>7889856
I did it better.
>>7883452
>>
>>7883475
Dumb weeaboo
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.