[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your opinion on Neil DeGrasse Tyson?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
What is your opinion on Neil DeGrasse Tyson?
>>
>>7881523
Better than Bill Nye
>>
le rapist face
>>
He's fine and probably a pretty smart guy. His job is to explain technical things to the general public, which naturally tends to come off as dumbing-down, and I don't pay much attention to him. I wish there were science entertainment shows targeted at the college level.
>>
>>7881523
Anyone who subscribes to his tweets should be shot
>>
>>7881541
>He's fine and probably a pretty smart guy. His job is to explain technical things to the general public, which naturally tends to come off as dumbing-down, and I don't pay much attention to him.

This. If you can state the scientific method, this guy is probably below your paygrade. But if you have never studied science before he's preddy gud.
>>
He's black and he's a science man. One would normally think these are mutually exclusive but he's the exception to the rule. He's like a unicorn in Chicago
>>
>>7881578
>>>>b
>>
>>7881587
>>>>c
>>>>d
>>>>e
>>>>letter
>>
File: 21374505.jpg (183 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
21374505.jpg
183 KB, 1000x667
>nigger scientist
>>
>>7881541
>>7881552
You guys ever watch The Inexplicable Universe on Netflix? It's a lecture-style thing by NDT at the more advanced level. Pretty good stuff.
>>
File: 1454474338999.jpg (113 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
1454474338999.jpg
113 KB, 500x431
>>7881523
>Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Literally who? Your pic is black science guy.
>>
>>7881523
He likes to explore heavenly bodies, both here in Earth and in 'deep' space.
>>
Fact Checking Neil deGrasse Tyson
http://hopsblog-hop.blogspot.com/2016/01/fact-checking-neil-degrasse-tyson.html

Neil deGrasse Tyson Incompetent Ass:
http://hopsblog-hop.blogspot.com/2015/08/neil-tyson-incompetent-ass.html
>>
>>7881578
As opposed to a unicorn in any other big city?
>>
>>7881820
Literally blogs, wow.
>>
>>7881523
His real name is Perd Happley
>>
>>7881952
Sean Davis' Tyson critiques stirred up the blogosphere quite a bit late 2014. There was a Washington Post article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/09/22/does-neil-degrasse-tyson-make-up-stories/
>>
He’s stupid. No wonder he is liked only by popsci retards.
>>
>>7882090
He's liked by everyone. By the public and the media alike, which have christened him as a true successor to Carl Sagan.
>>
>>7882094
>By the public and the media
That’s what I said.
>>
>>7882078
Typing a URL doesn't create a link? Is there a FAQ on how I'd make a link on 4chan?
>>
>>7882094
>He's liked by everyone
He's liked by pop-sci fags and not anyone who respects science.
>>
>>7882111
>not anyone who respects science.
And just who might that be? True scientists can at least appreciate the work he does. They know the importance of popsci, and that it can't remain your super secret club anymore.
>>
>>7881906
Yeah. Everyone's seen em in NYC and LA and shit, but they never go around Chicago
>>
>>7882125
I thought they had pride parades in Chicago as well.
>>
>>7882121
>And just who might that be?
I have a physics teacher who graduated in one of the best universities in the world and he despises popsci. He is the kind of guys who understand that placing balls on a trampoline does not make you understand gravity (at all) and witnessing Melde’s experiment does not make you a quantum physicist overnight.

One day you will learn the difference between Bill Nye the famous engineer retard who makes TV shows for kids and Maxwell the unknown genius who made special relativity, quantum physics and telecommunications possible.
>>
>>7882131
Wat.
>>
>>7882121
>True scientists can at least appreciate the work he does.

You mean making stuff up? And then saying he don't need no steenking cites to back it up?

If "true science" is about rejecting the need for evidence you can have it.
>>
>>7882145
What's so bad about trying to bring science to the general public ? Yes, I think there are some dumb things included into certain programs like mentioning multiverse theory or bad analogies but how can you bash on something that is ultimately trying to teach science? Stop acting like science is some mystical place that only ultra autists can get into and appreciate. Of course, no one can learn quantum mechanics after one demonstration of an experiment but its the exposure that counts.
>>
File: fa1792c0.jpg (153 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
fa1792c0.jpg
153 KB, 720x960
My opinion is that NASA lost a probe in mars, and the Chinese lost the "bunny" in the moon, because that doesn't was paired with another robot partner. Yeah, two by two to go to Mars... But decending on the planet means failure in tyhe next 200 years. I think that after having the capacity to recicle satellites, we can concentrate on living for a while on a space station before landing! And let the robots do the job. Or let the black guys risk their lives first. (hehehe starting a flame war :)
>>
>>7882110
Doesn't work when you use a name
>>
>>7882266
Okay, deleting my name. Seeing if this comes out as a link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/09/22/does-neil-degrasse-tyson-make-up-stories/
>>
>>7881523
So who were the most influential nblack people in history? Jimi Hendix, Black Science Guy, Nelson Mengele?
>>
>>7882209
>What's so bad about trying to bring science to the general public ?
What’s bad is that most of the time there are totally wrong claims (e.g. [math]\sum_{n \,=\, 0}^\infty n \,=\, -\frac{1}{12}[/math], entropy meaning disorder in the same way as a messed up bedroom, the sky being blue because fast oscillating waves have a higher probability of colliding with atoms, the Planck length being the smallest distance when it actually is a unit which simplifies some formulas) and it is used for political and theological purpose. Instead of bringing new awesome facts and theories, it’s all about giving flawed proofs that gender is a social construct, God doesn’t exist and men think of sex every seven seconds. I don’t mind simplifying science, but popsci is no different from shills on /g/ using made up benchmarks to confirm their memes.
>>
>>7882395
>wrong claims ([math]\sum_{n=0}^\inf n = -\frac{1}{12}[/math] ...)
>anon can't into pajeet math
>>
I have a positive opinion of him because I am a well adjusted adult.
>>
>>7882395
How are people supposed to get into science if all they see are assloads of formulas? It was simplified shit that got me into science. Representations of the solar system (that are never accurate), Schrödinger's Cat, spacetime as a flat but warped fabric, the big bang as a giant explosion in space, that 10-dimensions video, etc. I learned more when these ideas intrigued me to dive deeper.
>>
>>7882180

His job is to show why science is interesting and strange to those people who never really cared about science (and that includes kids).
Just imagine how many children and teenager will pick a STEM course in college cause of Cosmos reboot.
>>
>>7881552
>below your paygrade
You know he went to Harvard, UT, and Columbia right?
>>
>>7882445
>It was simple shit that got me into science.
t. high school student
>>
>>7882432
/thread
>>
File: Tyson Bush.jpg (1 MB, 1603x904) Image search: [Google]
Tyson Bush.jpg
1 MB, 1603x904
>>
File: NeilTyson.jpg (79 KB, 960x782) Image search: [Google]
NeilTyson.jpg
79 KB, 960x782
>>
>>7882505
I don't get it
>>
File: milhouse+magritte.jpg (61 KB, 1116x715) Image search: [Google]
milhouse+magritte.jpg
61 KB, 1116x715
>>7881523
god
>>
>>7882395
Do you even Riemann bro?
>>
>>7882445
>How are people supposed to get into science if all they see are assloads of formulas?

Literacy would be a good start. Is that asking too much?
>>
>>7884557
>let me explain how gravity works
>first, let me teach you calculus
>>
>>7881523

He's more interested in fame and celebrity and making appearances on the Colbert Report and hosting Reddit AMAs than he is in the advancement of scientific research.
>>
>>7884649
This is dumb. They ask him to come and talk about science. He has no problem doing this, because he's good at it and likes to spread the good word.

Plus he said he would want another scientist to do season 2 of Cosmos.
>>
>>7882460
>His job is to show why science is interesting

And how does giving wrong info accomplish that?

We live in the Katie Perry zeitgeist. We continue getting stupider and stoopider. Tyson's wild gesticulations, confabulations and braying change that not all. In fact I'd say he contributes to the decay.
>>
>>7883751
I barely am able to Riemann, but I can make the difference between [math]\sum_{n \,=\, 0}^\infty n[/math] and [math]\zeta(-1)[/math].
>>
File: 1456335100910.jpg (42 KB, 516x438) Image search: [Google]
1456335100910.jpg
42 KB, 516x438
>>7885201
Hehehheheheheehe

Take the differential operator 1/(1-Exp(d/dx)) and apply it to the function f(x)=x. Geometric series tells us that whatever comes out of this has a constant term which is the sum of all natural numbers.
>>
>>7881523
Black yout don't know about him. prefer lowlife rappers and criminal culture.
>>
>>7882145
>>7882180
*tips*

Well said, good sirs!
>>
>>7881523
Didn't he rape somebody days ago?
>>
>>7882501
I'm assuming he means the information will be below you, not NDT. That is to say he's meant for people not working in science and anyone who does is naturally above the information he offers.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.