[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the greatest mathematician of all time?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: kowalevski.jpg (174 KB, 587x800) Image search: [Google]
kowalevski.jpg
174 KB, 587x800
Who is the greatest mathematician of all time?
>>
>>7874873
Me
>>
File: 88899875.jpg (32 KB, 948x711) Image search: [Google]
88899875.jpg
32 KB, 948x711
>>7874876
>>
GOATendieck
>>
ß
>>
>>7874873
Dead heat between Grothendieck and Euler.
>>
Cleo Barnett
>>
>>7874873
>not posting Noether
>>
Gauss
>>
>>7875122
Also: Gauss
>>
>>7874873
it's probably Gauss, in all honesty.

[spoiler]but Galois was so rad[/spoiler]
>>
>>7874873

With a gun to my head it's Euler. The shortlist that needs mentioning in a serious GOAT conversation, however, are:

Gauss
Cauchy
Leibniz/Newton (when you invent calculus among binomial theorem etc, you get an automatic invite to this conversation, and it doesn't matter if some undergrads or early grad students are "bored" of talking about you)
Euclid (No memeing. The form of a nice mathematical argument has not changed, even if subject matter has gotten more complex. He was just historically lucky to be early. Bears mentioning that his textbook only recenty ceased regular use)
Gödel (I consider him as the greatest mathematician/logician of 20th century at least)
Erdos (highly prolific and constructive)
Sierpinski (also highly prolific)
Grothendieck (partly on merit, partly to placate contemporaries, also prolific)

If the above list "sounds" pleb to you, it's because you're not actually thinking OP's prompt through. One becomes aware of the really, truly big important names in undergrad. The others might extend things slightly, or have something named after them. The above instead are regularly credited with fundamental theorems, and before that term started to be abused slightly.

Honorable mentions Lagrange, Laplace, the Bernoulli clan.

t. Math graduate
>>
>>7875171

Hilbert belongs in here too probably, but I'll let it go after that.
>>
>>7874873

le samurai wingdings man
>>
>>7875171
>not Bolzano

Go fuck yourself
>>
>>7875171
Wait, how about Cantor, Dirichlet, Riemann, Poincaré, Kolmogorov for example?
>>
File: for_you.gif (863 KB, 277x300) Image search: [Google]
for_you.gif
863 KB, 277x300
>>7875171
Erdos over Riemann, kek
>>
>>7875205
>>7875196

Then we would be going on all day.

>muh 19th century rigor/formalization/cleanup
>y-you can't talk down to them they had t-to do that stuff y-you know

It's true that the project was necessary, but there are lots of boring, "necessary" tasks in the world. That's for betas. Alphas break the new theory's hymen.
>>
gaub
>>
>no mention of Banach in this thread

You fucking ingrates, be thankful for his spaces.
>>
Greatest Gauss, but the most radical edgelord is definitely Galois.
>>
>>7875214
>I have no idea about any of these people's work
Wew lad, claiming that Dirichlet, Riemann or Poincaré's contribution was limited to cleaning up the foundations...
>>
Von Neumann was definitely the smartest mathematician

Greatest is tied between Euclid, Gauss, and maybe Hilbert?
>>
why has no one mentioned Tarski? That guy is hella fucking smart
>>
>>7875247

>he only talked about the one thing, so just like I've hoped/preconceived for my retort, he is unaware of these titans! Yes, that's the ticket, I've really cornered him now---

I did no such thing, you're just reading that in yourself. The real point is that there was an immediate pushback to my thing along those lines of the rigor/cleanup project of Dedekind (not mentioned but the other two sure were), Weierstrass, Cantor, /among others/, which I'd anticipated and in the former case, largely reject for the purposes of a GOAT, much less shortlist conversation. They're just more important mathematicians, is all.

Could've mentioned Riemann though, I'll give you that one.
>>
Teichmuller
>>
>>7875209

It should be fairly clear that I'm valuing Important Results PLUS "Prolific" (usually implies longer life/career), hence the inclusion of Sierpinski, Erdos and Euclid. This is why I had not initially included people like Galois and Riemann, who although important, died young. Obviously Euler and Grothendieck meet the "also prolific" criterion.

Never forget that our fun conversation is about the GOAT. Not "a really good/important mathematician". This is Gretzky/Jordan/Ruth/Aaron/Kobe/Kareem time. I'm not talking about Chris Bosh or fucking Dirchlet.
>>
>>7875238
>"The most radical edgelord" what do you mean by that?
>>
>>7875293

Not that guy, but I was just thinking about this today.

At some point during my mathematical education, a teacher or professor (or book) said of Galois' brief life that it was a welcome addition to the history of mathematics, because "quite honestly, most mathematicians lead very boring lives, so it's nice that someone died romantically for once, to spice up the history a bit."

In addition to the duel death, Galois was apparently kind of a pissant, which sounds about right for a teenager who knows he's smarter than others.
>>
>>7875299
Yeah, I think about him as a kind of "Billie The Kid" of math but really piss me off the fact that such a brilliant mind died for a simple woman
>>
Here is one very great link now that I actually ask the internet:

http://www.fabpedigree.com/james/mathmen.htm

Notice how this particular (subjective!) listing bears out my longer posts, and also my rejection of any of the Weirstrass/Cantor cleanup guys as the real GOAT.
>>
File: download.png (1 MB, 579x755) Image search: [Google]
download.png
1 MB, 579x755
Euler, Hell yeah.
>>
Euler or Gauss.
>>
Archimedes. That's why he's on that gold coin.
>>
Cleo Mochizuki de Barnetto Santi
>>
Oiler
>>
>>7875121
kek
>>
File: rie-mann.jpg (124 KB, 405x449) Image search: [Google]
rie-mann.jpg
124 KB, 405x449
>pic related

Also (from the top of my head)

Euler
Gauss
Galois
Lagrange
Cauchy
Hilbert
Dirichlet
Cantor

Just a physicist's opinion.
>>
>>7875660
Did Euler invent a Euler cannon? He did not. He also didn't invent a Gauss cannon either.
>>
John von Neumann

Cleo the math goddess
>>
Euler or Gauss. Flip a coin.
>>
>>7875171
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_things_named_after_Carl_Friedrich_Gauss

Gauß
>>
Gauss or Euler since they did the most.

Euclid special mention since he collected as much of mathematics from antiquity as he could.
>>
Pythagoras
throw me off a cliff, idgaf
>>
>>7878227
Pythagoras chimped out when one of his students claimed not all numbers were rationals.
>>
Terence Tao

/thread
>>
>>7875205
> kolmogorov

my nigga
>>
File: squilliam checks em.jpg (30 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
squilliam checks em.jpg
30 KB, 300x300
>>7878255
>>7878255
>>7878255
>>7878255
>>7878255
>>
>>7874873
Gauss
>>
>>7875293
His way of thinking was rad. His works on groups, polynomial roots and stuff was like a completely new thing.
>>
>>7874873
Lie. He invented the only group that can tell lies.
>>
Groethendick tbqh
>>
>>7878611
Why? Don't just tell me
>lel he did sume albegraic gomtry stiff
Actually say why?
>>
>>7878279
ucla shill pls leave
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.