[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are you happy with your Major and minor choices? >Major in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: iStock_000005651286XSmall.jpg (78 KB, 388x309) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000005651286XSmall.jpg
78 KB, 388x309
Are you happy with your Major and minor choices?
>Major in medicine
>Minor in psychology

hbu?
>>
>>7872559
Major: Aerospace engineering
Minor: Business, math

It was fun. Enjoyed my extracurriculars more.
>>
>>7872559
not an amerilard, whats a major and a minor, like a program and its courses?
>>
Major: none
Minor: none

HS diploma here and 6 months of welding training. Graduated in 2011 and have made about 450k after taxes by doin pipe welding. Why there are people in their late 20s in debt because of school is beyond me.
>>
>>7872619
Major is the subject you're doing to take the most classes in, a minor is where you take a few classes in another subject, about half of the amount of major classes.
>>
>>7872632
interesting, thanks anon
>>
>>7872626
As a chemical engineer I'm also baffled as to why retards believe it's still the fucking 70s. 90% of university degrees are worthless for a job and most earn far less than tech.

I like my research which is why I got into this, but if I only cared about money and a stable job I wouldn't have gone to university at all.
>>
>>7872632
but... why?
>>
>>7872626
>spends life welding pipes together
>pretends their life is satisfying
>talks about how stupid others are to make themselves feel like it's satisfying to spend their life welding pipes together
>>
>>7872669
Major: to study for a job
Minor: study what will bring you joy
>>
>>7872690
sounds terribly inefficient

you burn yourself out trying to study all that shit and end up with thousands in debt and become a trucker
>>
>>7872673
They make good money. Need>>>supply. Pick times and wages. It's a good job. Gotta watch their eyes and skin, but it's easy to protect yourself.

Source: I inspect their welds regularly
>>
>>7872704
>mfw where i live a year of uni studying cost 2.5k$ a
you can become a doctor and pay your "debts" in less than a year
>>
>>7872710
Way to address his point.

Congratulations on finding an easy way to live comfortably, but understand that others are willing to sacrifice for a more fulfilling career.
>>
>>7872559
What's a major in medicine? Pharmacology or Clinical Medicine or what?
>>
>doing math masters
>get paid a stupid amount of money to grade some baby linear algebra once a week
>hand in a few algebraic geometry questions every few weeks

tons of free time to read random papers and work on whatever problems i feel like

things couldn't be much better
>>
>>7872619
If he is a fellow Amerilard, then he is a misleading faggot because we DON'T have medicine majors in undergraduate programs (the one you get a bachelors), which is the type of program that has majors and minors. He is likely a pre-med aka Bio major with slightly different classes (to meet med school pre-reqs), and is going to stay in Bio because it is hard to get into med school in the US, and Bio/premed fags have the second lowest admittance rate (second to only humanities) in med schools.
>>
>Major: Finance
>Minor: Math

Math is more interesting. Once I got past calculus 2, things opened up, and there's freedom when you feel like you're studying math rather than just being required to take math.
>>
>>7873547
sounds unnecessarily convoluted

here if you have the grades (which become points) you choose the med program, if you do not, you take a "test" and it can help you by adding points, and can give you an edge over someone if you're tied (with said points)
>>
>>7872559
Double major math/CS.

Math is pretty much what I expected, it's hard sometimes, but it's interesting and challenging and I can manage.

CS however seems a very confused field. I was hoping for the pre-overhaul MIT style of books like SICP, and the basic idea that CS is not really about computers but a certain kind of math.
Instead some of the courses are pure math, some are just about protocols, some even about how to work in a team when developing software. And the profs of one school of CS are making snarky comments about the other, and it's really quite a mess.
>>
>>7873788
Haha, that's CS for you. But the good thing is, if you work hard enough in the CS part you're interested in you can later on do really cool specialization. Like if you're interested in Big Data/Networks, take computer graphics, database architecture and explorative data analysis, data visualisation and network analysis. It's all pretty fun.
The people bitching on sci about CS don't know on how much fun they are missing out on.
>>
File: the dude.jpg (361 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
the dude.jpg
361 KB, 1280x1024
Major: Applied Mathematics (not the American kind, but just like a regular math degree but then more numerical analysis, PDEs and programming).

Minor: I still have to pick one, any ideas? I was thinking Mathematical Finance, CS or EE.
>>
>>7872559
Major: Aerospace Engineering
Minor: Music
>>
>>7873846
Can't complain so far.
>>
Dfuq is this minor/major bullshit? In Sweden, we choose one program among many and then study only that until graduation.

Also, I'm a med student, and I'm very happy with my choice.
>>
>>7874038
ye, this? the fuck is this minor/major crap
>>
>>7873800
Agree, I'm more into robotics and take stuff like control theory, mobile robotics, robotic manipulators etc, but also neural networks (robots + machine learning = fun)
The cool thing about CS is that there are multiple really interesting fields that you can specialize in.
>>
>>7874038
KI?
>>
>>7874038
In the Netherlands as well, but in your third year you can choose to study another topic for half a year, worth 30 ECs.
>>
>>7874044
All of that shit is CpE/EE you faggot.
>>
>>7874124
what about the regular subjects you'd be listening to on your main course?

in croatia, you just pick what you want to study (as in mathematics, chemistry, physics, medicine, whatever) and most of the subjects make up 60ects per year, and when not, you've got a handful of subjects to choose from to fill in those points
>>
File: 1429639255563.jpg (23 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1429639255563.jpg
23 KB, 500x374
>>7872559
>happy
I don't know what tha means.
>>
>>7874124
I'm a dutchfag and what year you start and how many ECs it is really depends on the minor and how much room you have for extra courses, atleast in my uni.
>>
>>7874154
The "I'm depressed because I'm intelligent" meme.
Kill yourself.
>>7874048
KI indeed!
>>
Major: math
No minor
So far I'm happy
>>
>>7872559
I regret ever going to university.
>>
Majors: Psychology & Computer Science
Minors: Biology, Cognitive Science, and Writing

I do not have much of a margin for failure.
>>
>>7874764
This, should've joined the military and gotten a pot field security job
>>
Major: poly sci
Minor: english
Feels good to be a patrician
>>
>>7874774
You got a minor in Cog Science? How does that even differ from Cog Psych? Unless it's the same thing under different names.

I'm envious. I majored in Psych but I went to a smaller local campus and the minor options were extremely limited.
>>
>>7875065
why would you pay to learn shit that you can literally get from the library
>>
>>7875109
In the process of getting it. The way that my college has it set up is that the minor is a combination of biopsych, cogpsych, intro to comp science, a philosophy course about the mind, and a few miscellaneous courses. Because of my major combo, I only have to take 2 additional course.

Planning of focusing on biopsychology and cognitive psychology.
>>
>>7872559
Major: Chemistry, concentrating on organic synth/med chem for grad school.
Fell in love with the subject a little while ago, but do not like the school I'm at now. We have no funding...
>>
>>7875065
Marxist SJW indoctrination...you are not a "patrician."
>>
>>7873773
America has the MCAT, which is the predecessor to the UKCAT. I do prefer our system though; medicine as a dedicated undergrad just makes more sense IMO.
>>
Major: Psychology
Unofficial minor: Biology

Applying to doctorate programs in neuroscience. Behavior, Cogniton, and some of the Abnormal stuff is legit in psychology, everything else is just bullshit that people waste their time in. Just training a bunch of future social workers who can't grasp statistics, research methods, or simple biology, and they wonder why so many people don't take psychology seriously.
>>
Major: earth science
Minor: science

S....senpai?
>>
Mechanical engineering
And I'm paying 3k/yr for it because FAFSA. Thanks Obama
>>
>>7872716
I don't think doctors write currencies with the dollar sign behind the numbers.
>>
>>7875900
I plan on following the same path you're taking. I'm still in the early stages of my college education so it'll take a while to do all that.
>>
>>7872612
what are you doing now with the aerospace degree?

im currently majoring in aerospace
>>
>>7875975
>minor: science
...wat?
>>
>mechanical engineering

I'm basically useless in labs and suspect I'm a sperglord who can only do abstract theoretical bullshit, hopefully I'll git gud when it comes time for electives.

Started minoring in electrical engineering, first class is basically the same as the non-major class I already took so it's easy as fuck.
>>
>Econ
>none

I partied all through college but was really hooked on the international trade part of macro so I'm trading diamonds and precious metals as a career. It's off the beaten path but I know tons of people in the trade. It was either that or oil.
>>
Double major in chemistry and neuroscience. Muh pharmaceuticals research if med school doesn't work out
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.