[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>This board is American >Half the maths threads are about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: 68799.jpg (404 KB, 1000x1428) Image search: [Google]
68799.jpg
404 KB, 1000x1428
>This board is American
>Half the maths threads are about "Calc I, II and III
>All except Calc III is material covered in the British A-level general maths course
>This is taken before university at age 16-18
>All posters on 4chan must be over 18
>Therefore it follows that Americans don't learn basic calculus until university
How you guys made it to the Moon I'll never understand.
>>
>>7872281
they actually didn't.
>>
No, I took calc 1 and 2 in high school.
>>
>>7872297
There is a calc 1 and 2 thread going on in /sci/ right now. Either all those in the thread are underage b& or america is full of slow retards.
>>
>>7872281
most schools in the US offer calc 1

not many schools have calc 2
ap calculus is a joke compared to university calc
>>
>>7872281
Euros tend to focus a lot more in high school I've found.
There are tons of burgers like me who took calc 1 and 2 in high school but it's not as common.
A lot of the students at top unis have taken calc 1 and 2 before college, so we're not that far off you euros as far as semester 1 curriculum.
>>
What sort of shit high school doesn't offer Calc AB and Calc BC
>>
>>7872281
how any other country accomplishes anything ever while being so focused on the filthy muricans I'll never understand
>>
>>7872319
Comfirms pretty much what I believed. It always surprised me to see Calculus textbooks about stuff I learned in high school. German here, we start uni with Analysis.

American education seems pretty terrible desu. I think only the top unis and all the foreign profs keep it going.
>>
>>7872281
>All except Calc III is material covered in the British A-level general maths course

This is bullshit.

The curriculum goes to barely scratching the surface of derivating and integrating transcendetal functions. sin, cos, tan and natural logarithm.

That is very nice, and probably much further than the american system goes in high school but that is barely Calc I, you moron.

And even then, it is not actually that nice because I don't remember any proofs being shown. They gave us the derivatives and integrals of sin and cos and from that we would solve problems with other related functions and most of the time just memorize those too.
>>
>>7872281
wtf.... i'm not often here
i looked what calculus actually is and we do this shit for our abitur here in germany (12 grades) and with our abitur diploma we can enroll in university if our grade is is good enough
>>
>>7872281
I took all three courses before university. Although calc 3 was taken at a community college across the street from my high school during senior year.
>>
>>7872350
Stop crying. British A-level maths is identical to this.
>>
>>7872350
>I don't remember any proofs being shown
>he didn't take FP1

Everyone laugh at the plebeian.
>>
>>7872365
I am talking about british A levels. That is what is covered at the highest level of the A levels.

>>7872366
Well, I don't know how proofs would have even been possible to teach. First, there was no rigorous explanation of limits. We jumped to derivatives without the definition of it. Just the nx n-1 shit. Second, the squeeze theorem was not taught.

There is no way they could have proven the identities they taught. Stop making shit up.
>>
>>7872366
Oh yeah I forgot A-level Further Maths blows even their calc 3 out of the water
>>
>>7872361
me again

are these really exams from the MIT??????

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01-single-variable-calculus-fall-2006/exams/exam1.pdf

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01-single-variable-calculus-fall-2006/exams/

the so famous fucking MIT?????
>>
>ITT: Bongs and Burgers argue about high school education
>>
>>7872377
>read this post
>think: another brit fag! I bet its not even that bad
>go to test

>Problem 1 Find the tangent line of a trivial ass function at x=1

Nevermind. I am in the brit camp now. American higher education is shit. R.I.P. america, in 2 years the africans will be getting to mars while you try to figure out how to clean your asses.
>>
>>7872384
im from germanystan and not from uk

from where are u?
>>
File: laugh_so_hard_tears.jpg (7 KB, 204x204) Image search: [Google]
laugh_so_hard_tears.jpg
7 KB, 204x204
>>7872377
>>
>>7872377
Americans BTFO
>>
>>7872377
kek, this has to be a joke
good I'm in a european uni, not in a uni as ridiculous as MIT
>>
>>7872281
International wankery aside, you're a huge fucking idiot if you think everyone on 4chan is over 18. I browsed this board during high school, if you didn't you should probably fuck off
>>
>>7872309
>Either all those in the thread are underage b& or america is full of slow retards.
Gee, it must be that America is full of retards, because underage kids never come onto 4chan. That would be against the rules.
>>
Uni in the US sucks because it changed into a business so they dumbed it down to get as many idiots as possible. This is capitalism.
>>
File: hahahahahaha burgers.png (115 KB, 1101x729) Image search: [Google]
hahahahahaha burgers.png
115 KB, 1101x729
>>7872384
>>7872386
>>7872401
>>7872414
>>
>>7872377
>http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01-single-variable-calculus-fall-2006/exams/exam1.pdf
lol
>>
>>7872281
No it's not, stop shilling retard.

-Brit who studied at American university (which is rated higher than yours).
>>
>>7872432
what uni
>>
>roommates mum is a professor at a British uni
>says students have a 3 courseload per term and complain about how difficult it is
>mfw she said it's the same difficulty as one of our courses
>mfw they pay 7000£ a term for that trash they call education
It seems like brits are more retarded than we thought
>>
>>7872444
this is bait or you should tell your roommates mum not to be such a filthy liar.

I'm an EE and this year we had:
>1st term
complex analysis
analogue II
power
comms
signals
>2nd term
control
fields
computer architechture
discrete maths and complexity
digital electronics II
stats

we also had electronics and programming labs 10 hours a week and a group project.
>>
>>7872428
This is just tragic.
>>
>>7872377
>Highly rated universities have difficult coursework

Why do retards believe that? More difficult exams do not gaurantee higher quality students anyway, MIT students spend most of their time studying what they want which makes them better researchers than people who have to study extremely hard for tedious exams all day.
>>
File: A-Rod-Laughs.jpg (47 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
A-Rod-Laughs.jpg
47 KB, 640x360
I took differential equations at 27 years old at a community college and got an A. YAY!

I'm an American, btw.
>>
>>7872466
>Every britbong takes the same course

Their engineering curriculums are better, she's probably teaching the shitty degrees.
>>
>>7872377
this is par for the course as the first exam of a calc I exam. What, did you expect them to use real analysis or something? This hits all the major points for testing someone who just learned what a derivative was 3 weeks ago. Fag.
>>
This is a 90 minute a level maths paper
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/242373-question-paper-unit-4757-01-further-applications-of-advanced-mathematics.pdf
wew
>>
>>7872281
Just because some people don't take calc until university doesn't mean that applies to everyone.

I am a freshman, here is my homework from last week.
>>
>>7872505
>their curriculums are better despite the evidence in the thread because some fags friends mum said so
yanks, everyone
>>
>>7872526
What school?
>>
>>7872546
UMD. It is not a standard freshman course though. I just took it without asking my advisor b/c I had already independently studied differential geometry and this is pretty similar.
>>
>>7872377
>single variable calculus
Yeah that's the math course that is made for all of the liberal art majors.
>>
>>7872526
>freshman
>topology
I call bullshit, that was bachelor tier in my days
>>
>>7872551
Ah, I see. Well done anon, hope you see daylight sometimes.
>>
>>7872600
What do mean by "bachelor tier"?
>>
>>7872528
I meant better than the non-engineering curricula she teaches. 3 courses per semester only happens in non-professional meme degrees.
>>
>>7872281

Because pretty much every American has a chance to go to school, they aren't sent to some craft guild after they fuck up elementary school.

Many Americans take multivariable calc in high school, faggot
>>
>>7872615
2-3 year in uni. But maybe I misunderstood the topic, I guess it should be calc III amirite?
>>
>>7872428
i'm in middle tier uni in eastern europe and on exams only allowed item is your pen.
not to mention they chop points for fucking everything.

i know it's a practice exam, but seriously
>>
>>7872631
>Because pretty much every American has a chance to go to school, they aren't sent to some craft guild after they fuck up elementary school.
Which is a bad system that creates a generation of entitled idiots who protest for forcing others to pay for their tuition to get a worthless degree that won't contribute back to the economy (and then they will refuse to take jobs that are "below them" and spend the rest of their life on the system while whining about how unfair the system is).

Those people should be in the economy working labour/trade jobs. The smart ones who took multivar. calc. in HS should be the only ones spending 4 years at university.
>>
File: Bumper8_launch-GPN-2000-000613.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2310) Image search: [Google]
Bumper8_launch-GPN-2000-000613.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2310
>>7872281
>How you guys made it to the Moon I'll never understand.
They hired 200+ germans to do it
>>
>>7872643
But he said he was a freshman, so that is in a bachelor degree, I don't understand your first post.
>>
>>7872645

I agree. Society considers university necessary so you have a bunch of retards with BAs running around who are no more educated than a monkey.
>>
>>7872377
holy fuck, this is beyond any american education meme ever created
>>
>>7872650
fair point
>>
>>7872502
Great for you.
>>
>>7872652
Isn't freshman = first year? Non native speaker physicist here... in first year I took calc I+II and linear algebra I+II together with mathematicians, those exercises seem to me quite ahead
>>
>>7872644
>eastern europe
EE science education seems based as hell. Knew a friend from bulgaria when i was in france, and holy fuck, your math courses don't fuck around, even at bac level.
>>
>>7872341
a lot.

mostly innercity schools where the kids are fucked anyway
>>
>>7872377
Someone screencap this.
>>
>>7872281
they offered it to me in jr year. sat in with the seniors in an AP class.

i guess they just assume that the run-of-the-mill numbskull would never get it and it would reflect poorly on their graduation rate.

or its the fluoride in the water
>>
At least Calc AB is offered at any decent high school. Dual enrollment is generally an option for Calc I/II/III
>>
File: image.jpg (242 KB, 1124x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
242 KB, 1124x1024
>>7872377
You should see the Harvard one
http://www.math.harvard.edu/~knill/teaching/math1a_2012/final/practice1.pdf
>>
>>7872281
here in italy we do differential and integral calculus in the last 2 years of high school
>>
>>7874181
>>7872377
>people will put themselves into tens if not hundreds of thousands of euros of debt for this
i can't even
>>
It is crazy how some countries have even more dumbed down high schools than Finland
>>
>>7872281
>hurr why aren't millenial americans taking calc in high school
They barely pass math analysis and high schools here treat calculus 1 and 2 as some elite shit that only people brave enough to take AP European History would take as an elective. In the end though, the ones who took calc 1 and 2 in their junior or senior year have far better chance of not winding up as some CS major that'll be a future IT drone.
>>
>>7874336
>future IT drone
rather than taxi driver
>>
>>7872281
In the U.S most schools have programs based on state qualifications for passing, for example: (KY: 4 eng, 2 foreign language, 3 math(algebra I, II and geometry) + 1 math elective(1st year college level alg, pre-calc and calc I (which didn't even cover integrals for my school), no calc II for my school, that's something you had to find and study on your own), 2 science (earth + physical/bio which they combined) + 2 science elective (such as chem, physics and biology up to AP level), 3 history, and a number of vocational electives.

If you live in a poor state like KY, our schools are paid by property tax, so only larger cities like Lexington, Louisville and southern half of Cincinnati (Florence I think) have decent high school programs, everywhere else is too poor to afford a decent curriculum. The U.S sucks when it comes to education because we apparently have other priorities, and every chance to fix education ends in disaster (the common core being most current).
>>
>>7872281
its because your university system is completely different. most euro's get free or super cheap education, so it doesn't matter where you learn the material, the state is still footing the bill.

our government tries to spend as little as possible on education, and leaves the citizen to shell out for secondary. so the conversation goes something like this:

>"Hey, lets start up some calculus classes"
>"We'd have to hire more teachers who can actually teach calculus, and probably pay them better"
>"Oh, well fuck that, they can take it in college"
>>
>>7872281
because US high schools are just daycare facilities so mommy and daddy can work more to pay more taxes.

any point after the age of 13, you can walk into your local (accredited) community college and start a bachelors. all you gotta do is pass the entrance exams. yurops literally HAVE to stay in their daycare.
>>
>>7872319
>tons of burgers
2 or 3 in 300 million isn't very impressive
>>
>>7872281
It's actually a pretty simple answer. The US education system has great diversity in achievement. So there are people who don't take calc till college, and there are TONS of people who learn multivariable calc, analysis, and abstract algebra in High School. You only need a high number of these high achievers to have robust academic life.
>>
>>7872348
A lot of people serious about maths in the US start with analysis as well. In the US, there are english majors and shit taking calc classes. We focus on more broad education for about a year, rather than specializing as soon as we get to college. I like that system better (I am a postdoc now and NEVER would have even gotten into my field if I had to stick to my original plans. There are a lot of other famous mathematicians like Dennis Sullivan who were not originally interested in mathematics but became interested later into their college career. I think the US system is more helpful for these kinds of people.
>>
>>7874509
This. Europeans entering Uni to take math all intend to MAJOR in mathematics. Anyone in the US who KNOWS they are going to major in mathematics isn't taking these calc classes, they are taking honors calc classes (elementary analysis) and such.
>>
>>7872350
I can't speak for A levels, but in Scotland we do calc 1+2 at higher and calc 3 at adv. Higher.
>>
Being so insecure about when you learned calculus lmao just lmao how do you live
>>
>>7872281
Actually this place is a Sudanese rock polishing senate not an American image board
>>
>>7872350
Sit for the singapore A levels and you'll know
>>
>>7876144
They are tryhard colonial cocksuckers
>"look at me ma! we still have the same shitty colonial architecture!"
>"Look at me ma! our A levels are just like yours!"
>Look at me ma! we still hang people for spurious reasons!"
I hate that place so much.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.