[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>looking for a part time job >find an opening in country's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4
File: 2016-02-17_00001.jpg (76 KB, 1015x742) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-17_00001.jpg
76 KB, 1015x742
>looking for a part time job
>find an opening in country's biggest tech market
>send CV
>they reply with a test
>get pic related
I read the introduction, didn't understand a thing and proceeded to get the first three wrong. Then I decided to screencap it and make this thread.

How the fuck does this work?
It was on a five minute timer, which I'll fail. Guess I'm not autistic enough to sell hardware.
>>
The top is 1-2-3-4. Reorder

1-3-4-2 is the answer
>>
1423, pattern recognition, a number is describing the jump from one symbol to the other. You can find the symbol jumps within the other patterns though so you don't actually have to know exactly what the number means, you just had to work out what the numbers "show".
>>
>>7871741
Well
That's fucking embarrassing.
>>
It's 1342 and you're a daft cunt if you couldn't get that.
Nevermind selling, I'm surprised you're breathing without external cues, mate.
>>
It's 1423
>>
File: 1445568250830.jpg (33 KB, 345x348) Image search: [Google]
1445568250830.jpg
33 KB, 345x348
Why didn't they start by saying "each figure represents a number, now we'll move them around and you'll have to figure out the new order"?
>>
>>7871733
the shapes are the numbers. in the first example the first shape stays the 3rd shape goes to the 2nd spot the 4th shape goes to the 3rd spot and the 2nd shape moves to the last spot
>>
>>7871755
actually this guy is right and I am
>>7871743

I was approaching the problem the wrong way I guess. It's 1342
>>7871744
nothing to be ashamed about
>>
If I had asked you guys during the introduction with no time limit I could have aced this shit.
Back in the unemployment I go.
>>
>>7871733
dude don't worry about those tests theyre all just bullshit. Be confident in your phone interview and say you want to learn and are a good time manager.
>>
>>7871733
That HAS to be a joke thread.
>>
>>7871733
huh, it must be 1423 right?
>>
>>7871743
>>7871749
>>7873826

You guys are retarded. It's 1342.

>>7871733
OP, they're very obviously permutations. How the fuck did you fuck this up? If someone would've told me that this test was actually capable of filtering out retards I wouldn't have believed it because how can anyone retarded enough to fail this test even exist?
>>
>>7871751
Why don't they just gave you the answer?
>>
>>7871764
Be confident in your phone interview and say you want to learn and are a good time lord.
>>
>>7873892
Pretty sure it's 1423
>>
>>7871733
>>7873892
>>7871759
It's a good one, because at first I got 1423.
It doesnt just test you capability to solve the puzzle, it also tests your eye for detail, because anyone who got 1423 obviously automatically assumed that the top 4 in the square to be solved was the same as the other 3 squares.
>>
>>7873911

Pick one of the examples. Now, from the second row, look at the first symbol that appears, find that symbol in the first row, tell me which position that symbol appears in in the first row. Now repeat for each symbol in the second row.

So for the first example.
>You have "cross" as the first symbol in the second row. The "cross" appears in position 1 in the first row.
>Next you have triangle, the triangle appears in position 3 in the first row.
>For diamond you have 4
>For circle you have 2.

It's not a coincidence that the question picture gives the same numbers. Afterall all it has done is swapped some symbols.

>triangle in thee example becomes diamond in the question picture.
>diamond becomes circle
>circle becomes triangle.

A permutation is a bijective function. In this case from a set with four symbols to a set with four symbols.
>>
>>7873921
lol, I couldn't even figure out why you retards were guessing 1423.
>>
>>7871733
It's a basic permutation, but it goes bottom to top instead of top to bottom. the arrow is misleading.
>>
are you fucking kidding me?

this is a troll thread right? no one here is actually that dumb?

look at the fucking arrow.
>>
>>7873966
I actually prefer to think that I'm a kind of a genius for solving it in some seconds. Beautiful lie, man.
>>
>>7873974
then you will never improve.
>>
>>7871733
Non math fag reporting in.

How dumb am I for not figuring this out?

All I could find was that the numbers show what shapes on bottom line.

But there's none of the options fit.
>>
>>7874146
Holy shit I just butchered that post.

But I'm pretty sure you get what I mean.
>>
>>7874146
>How dumb am I for not figuring this out?
Really quite stupid.
>>
>>7871733
I'm sure someone has already answered this but I'm still going to because fuck you.

Took me literally 5 seconds after seeing the picture to get the pattern.

What you do is see the first row and enumerate those in your head as 1,2,3 and 4.. For example, the circle is 2.

Then, as you read the numbers, you visualize the shape represented by the numbers, starting from the left, moving down until the height of the row below and then all the way to the left until they encounter either the edge of the column, or a shape, they collide with it, and stay there.

For example the first one.

1: The blue thingy goes down and to the left all the way to the edge.

3: The triangle goes down and then all the way to the left until it collides with the blue thingy.

4: The red thingy goes down and then all the way to the left until it collides with the triangle.

2: The green circle goes down and then all the way to the left until it collides with the red thingy.

OP, you are too stupid to sell computer hardware if you were not immediately seeing the shapes moving by the transformation given by the string of numbers.
>>
1 => blue
2 => green
3 => yellow
4 => red

1423?
>>
>>7874157
I actually figured it out now :)

I didn't notice all of the upper rows in the left were the same.
>>
>>7874169
>I didn't notice all of the upper rows in the left were the same.
That doesn´t matter though.
>>
File: 1452160465976.jpg (13 KB, 247x280) Image search: [Google]
1452160465976.jpg
13 KB, 247x280
>>7874159
>>
>>7874179
It kinda does. It's kinda the only way you can be certain that every shape has one number corresponding to it and vice versa.

Since I didn't pay enough attention to notice it, I was left trying to figure out what the fuck happened. It took me seconds to see that the numbers always corresponded to the lower shapes. But since I couldn't find a way/pattern to make them correspond to the upper shapes in all images (as I imagined the upper shapes being in different order in all of them) I was left puzzled.
>>
File: 1324.png (165 KB, 1015x742) Image search: [Google]
1324.png
165 KB, 1015x742
>>
>>7874209
how other people did not realize this instantly is actually bewildering
>>
>>7874192
>It kinda does.
No it doesn't.
>It's kinda the only way you can be certain that every shape has one number corresponding to it and vice versa.
Not true.
From the things on the left you can infer that in each case the shapes get assigned a number based on their position. That's it.
>>
>>7874215
some people get lazy. After 3 examples they label blue 1, green 2, yellow 3, red 4, as in first example. And use it to solve question, not noticing that the input has changed.
>>
>>7874241
..but 1423 is not even a possible answer.
>>
>>7874192
No. You just gotta look at the entire picture and see that all the information you have is two arrangements of shapes with an arrow going from one to another and a set of numbers.

I solved this immediately and didn't even notice the first rows were the same until another anon pointed it out later.
>>
>>7874241
Why are you even giving them numbers? The numbers on the arrow literally give your output.

1342 means your output is
>first one, third one, fourth one, second one

You shouldn't be allowed to sell hardware.
>>
>>7874241
the thing is, 1342 is the only possible answer that starts with 1. its a no brainer really (assuming the 3 number combinations on the right are possible answers)
>>
>>7874215
It's because you have a guess first that 1 represent blue and 2 represent circle, and 3 represent triangle. The numbers indicate what the lower row should represent. Since it turns out to be right for all three examples you come to the conlusion that it is right. But surely, at a second glance I agree it's 1342.
>>
>>7874247
Ugh.. I kinda wonder who is dumber, those who saw directly it was 1342 and don't understand why people answered 1423 or those who actually answered 1423 first.

How can't you understand that
in all 3 examples given
lookint at the numbers you see that the output should correspond to the numbers.

1423 should represent blue,red,green,triangle.
1234 should represent blue,green,triangle,red
2134 = green (2=circle), blue(1=blue), triangle(cuz 3) , 4= red.

You see that it works on all three examples and hence coming to that conclusion, but since 1423 is not an option i would have just instantly clicked 1342 anyway.
>>
>>7874273
it's 1342
the numbers mean "the first, the third, the fourth, the second".

1423 is intentionally not shown to discourage you from thinking there's some hidden number-shape relation, which is far fetched

step it up
>>
>>7874273
>be given functions and told to try and reverse engineer them
>ignores the inputs

looooool
>>
>>7874291
>>7874292
Sigh...
I was explaining why people answered 1423.
I was not arguing that 1423 was the answer lol.
>>
>>7874239
The way of the thinking is inductive, not deductive and there may therefore be other ways of getting the pattern "right"
>>
>>7874291
But it´s not necesserily far-fetched for there to be a number-shape relation, it´s just that it is wrong
>>
Well OP, see the blue Cross in the same position? Pick the answer with 1 in front
>>
jesus christ, I'm a grad maths student at Berkeley and couldn't get this
>>
>>7875734
As another math student, my immediate instinct as soon as I saw a function defined with four numbers was that it was a permutation. I'm surprised that other math students wouldn't immediately think the same thing.

Out of curiosity, what was your line of thought?
>>
>>7873928
You would fail in general percipience then.
>>
Moar like this anyone?
>>
>>7871741
>Enters 1342 twice
>Doesn't get the same answers
?
>>
>>7871741
Assuming top is 1-2-3-4

then

Blue = 1
Green = 2
Yellow = 3
Red = 4

For the problem to be solved that would be

Blue = 1
Red = 4
Green = 2
Yellow = 3

That doesn't work. Please explain cause I don
t see it.
>>
>>7876690
Never mind I see it now.

Every top row resets to 1-2-3-4
Map the symbols in the first row to {1,2,3,4}
Then Look at where those symbols appear in the second row and map the symbols to their respective numbers.

That's the method.
>>
Like symbols mean the number will be the same as it's placeholder, only first option follows this.
>>
++ in first = 1, <> <> in fourth = 4

you have ++ in first.
sorry for duble post, lacked clarity.
>>
This thread proves most of /sci/ is fucking retarded. What a shit board. Hiro should just delete it.
>>
It took me a minute to get this, if it were on a 5 minute timer I could see how anxiety would fuck you up. Being put on the spot can really impair basic reasoning.
>>
>>7877152
same. I would have tried to rush it up and would have ended much longer than I did just now.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.