[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can i fall asleep easily? >inb4 4-7-8 method
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 1455129584835.jpg (365 KB, 2464x1648) Image search: [Google]
1455129584835.jpg
365 KB, 2464x1648
How can i fall asleep easily?
>inb4 4-7-8 method
>>
>>7848387
I don't know.
>>
chug melatonin pills
wear a blindfold
put in sound blockers
start dreaming
>>
>>7848440
No no no, that's dangerous. Your body needs to be aware of your surroundings. Next thing you know, you might be tied to your bed being raped to death by 7 niggers when you could've escaped in time through the window if you heard them breaking in your house.

Try to clear your mind from all thoughts, OP. Relax your body. Solve any problems that might be haunting your sub-conscious and preventing you to sleep well.
>>
>>7848387
>Step 1: Hold your breath until you pass out.
>Step 2: You are now asleep. Get some rest, kiddo.
>>
>>7848468
>Solve any problems that might be haunting your sub-conscious and preventing you to sleep well
How can i do this?Even if i solved them they just show again without reason and and there's no way to remove them.
>>
>>7848476
It's complicated. Sometimes it can be caused by a psychological problem, but most of the time it's because of guilt or something else related to your personality. Try to find out why you keep thinking about these things and find a solution to that feeling, and you may be able to solve your sleeping problems without having to take pills.
>>
Former insomniac here. Used to have a hard time falling asleep. I stopped drinking tea before bed and also turn all electronics off and read 30 minutes before bed.
>>
>>7848387
I don't even ask anymore because I keep getting bullshit broscience such as >>7848497
Only pills work for me.
>>
File: 1406974854710.jpg (70 KB, 800x900) Image search: [Google]
1406974854710.jpg
70 KB, 800x900
>Get tired
>Suddenly realise i'm in a dream and have fallen asleep
>Suddenly realise i'm also still in my bed
>Paralysis ensues
>This can get scary as fuck but doesn't bother me as much anymore
>'wake' up after resisting urge to fight paralysis
>it's like waking up from REM sleep, so i'm super tired and my eyes have this odd shake about them
>fall back asleep
>rinse and repeat
>>
>>7848387
I found that trance-hypnosis and ASMR help if not done every single day. But this is the science board, so I would suggest you try to tire yourself off physically (jog), maybe take a shower, and then a cup of tea. This is still not related to science.
What I just do is that I take my lecture notes and read through them while in bed (trying to understand them, not just idle reading), this should not work for much longer than 15 minutes and usually you will be immersed and tired enough that you'll just keep thinking about them until you're out.
>>
>>7848528
Samefag. Should add that any kind of routine helps, but you probably know that already. Sorry for shitposting, I am afraid someone ought to be able to come up with better stuff.
>>
File: 1420464032305.jpg (32 KB, 396x353) Image search: [Google]
1420464032305.jpg
32 KB, 396x353
>>7848513
I fear this every night before going to bed.
>>
>>7848387

skip a night of sleep

you should be tired enough the next day to fall asleep fine
>>
>>7848669
It does not work in the long term.
>>7848492
The thing is that even when i realize that its complete pointless this memories just show like this annoying ads when youre not using adblocker and the only thing which works but still it takes time is focusing on sounds around me(no electronics working).
>>
>>7848710
How you feel about these memories is an important factor. But if you definitely feel that you've concluded your matters with them... maybe you can't stop recalling them because they had a very strong impact on your life?

Either way, forcing yourself to avoid thinking about something, often causes the contrary. It works sometimes, but an alternate method is to simply put your focus on something else. Like focusing your vision on the objects in your room and naming them. Or think about how cold it is outside and how warm your bed is.
>>
Drink beer until you're tipsy
take blunt of the quality weed.

I do this every night.
>>
For some reason, ever since my late teens I've always had this horrible fear of sleep, just the idea of not being conscious I found deeply disturbing. I'd stay up multiple nights in a row, despite being really, really tired - just because lying down in bed caused this massive surge of anxiety as I thought about sleep.

The only thing that helped was weed, but it wasn't perfect and certainly wasn't a long term solution. I still suffer from this and it's having a pretty shitty effect on my life...

wat do /sci/
>>
asmr does the trick for me desu, shame if you don't get it
>>
File: insomnia.png (53 KB, 740x237) Image search: [Google]
insomnia.png
53 KB, 740x237
>>7848513
>Suddenly realise i'm in a dream and have fallen asleep
I have never experienced that. Instead I occasionally wake up because I find the dreamscape situation too unreal.

Ob. xkcd in pic.
>>
>>7848513
Thank god i thought i was the only one
>>
Anyone else get a really weird feeling sometimes when they're about to fall asleep, like the rocking back and forth on a boat feeling and your head feels like its spinning around. That always scares me and I jump awake again, this has caused many nights of little sleep for me. Also if I think about going to sleep like say, thinking about how and when your brain actually transfers over to sleep mode makes it impossible to fall asleep
>>
>>7849624
I don't know about that but sometimes when I am tired after a full day and am groggy, before passing from light sleep to deep full blown sleep I a falling feeling and startle myself awake. Doesn't happen too much and I don't lose sleep over it but it's pretty radical when it does happen.
>>
>>7849624
I've had pretty intense hypnic jerks before. Not sure if it's the same thing as what you're talking about since there's no rocking or spinning I'm aware of, just the sensation of tripping and falling and being violently wrenched into awareness.
>>
>>7849864

>>7849861 here, exactly what I was describing. I think it's kinda fun when it happens, but probably because it's more of a novelty for me. I think it happens most after days where I did my lifting before bed, which seems to line up with what I skimmed on it.
>>
>>7848387

You are not going to like this.

Stop watching the TV or using a computer at least hour before sleep time. Avoid doing anything exciting or something that needs an effort. Listening music or reading a book is find as long as it is not too thrilling. This calms you down and gets you ready for a bed time.

Dim lights before getting in the bed. Light affects your melatonin levels which is controlled by visible light. it will affect your circadian rhythms.

Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. It is not good idea to stay up late, more natural rhythm is to go to sleep at the evening.

With modern technology there is less and less reasons to stay up late. Your Netflix will work at the mornings as well. You don't loose any hours, you just use them differently. This way you are able to follow your natural tendencies and respect your body biology.

Good overall health affects sleeping too and nutrition. Body chemistry and hormones are sensitive things.
>>
>>7848508
Yes... Broscience
>>
>>7848841
See a therapist, crazy.
>>
>>7848492
>this bullshit psychology
>>
>>7850037
Why, anon? I'm just trying to help OP, and I trust my judgement on humans fairly enough based on my experience with them. Or is there something wrong in my statements?
>>
>>7848468
>Solve any problems that might be haunting your sub-conscious and preventing you to sleep well.

tfw you can't sleep because you don't know how neutrinos get mass
>>
>>7848440
If you take too much melatonin, it wont work.
>>
>>7850196

Why not turn of the lights and let body to produce melatonin?
>>
>>7848805
bong before beer, you're in the clear
beer before bong, you're in the wrong
>>
saw this thread in >>/adv/ yesterday, why would you post this in science and math OP?
>>
Find a relaxing position.
Play a game called if I move any part of my body I will lose
Fall asleep

works for me.
>>
>>7852326
Because its the science board and im really desperate
>>
I usually think of building Lego towers (really simple ones) or some autistic shit that doesn't require thinking.
I don't generally sleep more than 6 hours so that probably helps
>>
>die
>never have to wake up again
>ergo never have to fall asleep again
it's foolproof
>>
>>7849864
Its the ape part of our brain waking us before we fall out of the tree.
>>
>>7853778
Read this in articles about evolution and our sleep habits, very interesting.
>>
>>7848513
heh, I fall asleep and don't even remember a thing until I wake up... guess I'm lucky.
btw, how much do you sleep?
>>
>>7848387
Left nostril breathing. Cover your right nostril and breathe deeply through your left.
>>
>>7848387
get a gf
>>
>>7854000
I feel like my sleep problems would be solved if I did this. Shame it's never gonna happen.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.