[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>too dumb to study pure math with confidence i'll get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: 1449169227307.jpg (121 KB, 444x460) Image search: [Google]
1449169227307.jpg
121 KB, 444x460
>too dumb to study pure math with confidence i'll get tenure as a researcher in an academic institution
>too smart to compromise by studying engineering and doing industry research

what do?
>>
>>7845891
>implying you could do either
>>
>>7845905
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>7845891
Applied math, duh.
>>
>>7845891
Hey friend. I'm working on my MS in mathematics right now. Just thought I'd let you know that I have plenty of totally retarded peers who are doing well in pure math because they worked hard.
If you want to succeed, then I would suggest relearning the low, low level basics (yes, like factoring and early algebra,) and then working up through early calculus with the goal of giving yourself a good foundation. I'd consider one of the main reasons that people drop their pure math major is that they don't have a strong enough background.
Anyway, get into proofs, set theory, modal logic, etc as early as you can handle and you'll probably be okay.
>>
>>7845891
Le smart but lazy amiright
>>
>>7845905
This insecure cunt is probably a pure math undergraduate who realizes their thesis (if they have to write one at their shit university) will be titled "the 9001st numerical method for integrating functions"
>>
>>7845918
>muh uni ranking

really fresh meme there
>>
>>7845918
>9001st numerical method for integrating functions

And what is wrong with that? Are you implying that undergrad research in other fields is completely original and new shit?

Last time I saw you engineers did a robot that solved a rubicks cube for your graduation project.

That is cool and what not but it might as well be titled "The 9001st use of a basic algorithm with some mechanic hands".
>>
>>7845938
I was making a jab at that anon for being a useless dick to OP. If you're not him, don't take the bait.
If you are him, then go fuck yourself. You can't even contribute anything useful on a hungarian furs exchange repository.
>>
>>7845938
yeah but did you get to suck mad dick while doing it? that's what i thought brainlet.
>>
>>7845912
hey m80 is khan academy good for relearning basics? Not OP, just somebody who wants to be able to harness the power math has to model all sorts of interesting phenomena in ways other languages can't at all or do so extremely inefficiently.
>>
>>7845969
Khan Academy is pretty good for basics. When I was an undergraduate I started at their pre-school shit and went through Diffy Q's and it helped immensely.
However, I wouldn't rely on it too much for Linear Algebra, Diffy Q's, or other such "high level" topics. For that, buying a textbook or going on MIT OpenCourseware would be better.
>>
>>7845969
Also, look into fluid dynamics. My personal area of interest is abstract algebra and its formation of probability theory, but fluid dynamics is the source of some fucking cool modeling.
>>
>>7845914
>>7845905
>lacking reading comprehension this hard
>>
>>7845978
is it possible to master Khan Academy math before April from arithmetic to precalc?
>>
>>7845891

you don't know what you can't do until you don't do it OP
>>
>>7845991
It depends on your experience. If you're reviewing, then probably. If you're learning it for the first time, then that depends on your own ability to learn and the effort you put in.
But basically yeah, I'd say it's possible.
>>
>>7845978
>>7845981
Thank you very much. Seriously. I've been caught in limbo for over two damn years of being in a position where I'd make progress getting precalc/basic math done and then stop all of a sudden, but when I came back my experience was grey enough to where it felt redundant and pointless but still not enough to prepare for baby's 1st math & beyond. My real journey starts today.

Do you think the kinds of models in fluid dynamics could apply in any way to human behavioral modeling? I'm interested in economics, finance, and general human behavior like cultural and attitude change and transmission and general conflict and cooperation.
>>
>>7845891
if you were a female you could be someone's cocksleeve.
RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>7845950
>hungarian furs exchange repository.
This was a good one.
>>
File: 1454761471993.jpg (53 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1454761471993.jpg
53 KB, 960x960
>>7846011
am i supposed to be jealous, or checking my privileges?
>>
>>7846002
No problem, anon. No joke though, the basics are NOT useless. In partial differential equations, I knew someone who thought that cancellation works like this:
(X-1)/((X-1)(2X+4)) = 0/(2X+4) = 0
Don't fuck yourself like that guy fucked himself

Possibly. I always thought it might be neat to model traffic with Markov chains, which are sort of like fluid models in some sense. Also, fluid dynamics uses something called equipotential lines as a tool for modelling motion of fluid particles. (I have a few desmos graphs I can link you to that I made if you want)
Anyway, the same concept behind them might be applicable to reward/punishment systems of conditioning? Like, you could ask what someone would do to retain their overall stress if you introduce some extra stressor to their life. Honestly, I don't know though. Like I said, FD isn't my area of study.
>>
>>7846033
wouldn't that be 1/(2X+4) where there's a lim x->-2 and x=!1? or am i that fucked guy too...
>>
>>7846045
Nah anon, you're correct. They thought "canceling" means "completely removing the matching parts" means "there's nothing left on top" means "zero is left on top"
>>
>>7846033
That'd be (1)/(2x+4) right?

Anyways thank you very much friend.

>Possibly. I always thought it might be neat to model traffic with Markov chains, which are sort of like fluid models in some sense. Also, fluid dynamics uses something called equipotential lines as a tool for modelling motion of fluid particles. (I have a few desmos graphs I can link you to that I made if you want)
Anyway, the same concept behind them might be applicable to reward/punishment systems of conditioning? Like, you could ask what someone would do to retain their overall stress if you introduce some extra stressor to their life. Honestly, I don't know though. Like I said, FD isn't my area of study.

This sounds really interesting and I'd like to learn enough to truly appreciate this. Take care anon.
>>
>>7846065
Thanks, take care!
>>
Look to study something on alternative geometry. Theres a future in that
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.