[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/eng/ - Engineering General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: zoom.jpg (110 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
zoom.jpg
110 KB, 800x600
Let's have a safe space free from autistic pure maths dickwavers and string theory memers. Actual solid real life applicable technology here.

Talk about your own projects or emerging technology such as fusion.
>>
>>7842322
post qt twinks and ill consider sharing shit i worked on .
>>
>>7842336
gay meme after 1 post
i hate this board
>>
File: 1441718877648.jpg (48 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
1441718877648.jpg
48 KB, 600x480
>>7842358
honestly though im an actual gay engineer im just memeing you for fun m8 dont take it too hard .

if you want to open a thread to discuss some general topic it is generally a good idea to start it with some question\idea .
>>
Any semiconductor/VLSI fags here? One of my profs just came back from a conference and was looking for someundergrads to help him with new projects. I'm more interested in device physics but don't have enough knowledge to work in that area yet. Would working with VLSI in the mean time be worth it or just a
Waste of my time?
>>
>>7842322
>engineering thread
>autistic pure maths dickwavers

Yeah. Lets make an engineering thread and let the first thing we mention be pure math majors.

/math/ Mathematics General
Lets have a safe space free from autistic homosexual retarded engineers...

You see how autistic that sounds?

For fucks sake you engineers are seriously, seriously, autistic.
>>
Where is everyone interning this summer?
>>
>>7843538
I got rejectedbfrom Arup.
>>
>>7842322
hey mech eng.-s , what book do you recommend for general mech eng stuff?
>>
>>7843751

Mech dicks and mechanical sucking
2nd edition (2015)

It is a great book for sophomore - junior mechanical engineering majors but it is very thick and most people say having problems taking it all the way in so most people just gag and drop it by the 5th chapter.
>>
>>7843757

In all seriousness, what's the best intro book?
>>
>>7842322
>actual solid real life applicable technology
I don't know what you intend to discuss here, duct tape has already been invented. You have nothing else
>>
>>7843779
Sorry my friend. OP already derailed his own thread by starting a thread like that.
>>
Hey. Any Ag. Engineers here? I might make it into the number 2 Ag Engineering school in the US. Seems pretty comfy and interesting. Should I minor in Mech engineering or whatever Botanical program they have?
>>
>>7843538
Schaeffler
>>
File: 1390139474279.jpg (52 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
1390139474279.jpg
52 KB, 460x460
>>7843351
>mfw reading this post
I've never seen this much autism over a simple insult, you pure math kiddies need to have adults supervising you.
>>
>>7843858
Germany or US?
>>
>>7843884
Argentina actually.
Buenos Aires.
>>
>>7843751
I would also like to know about this.
>>7843888
>Argentina
Born there?
>>
File: mobile_31178_1395683128_4.jpg (28 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
mobile_31178_1395683128_4.jpg
28 KB, 625x416
>>7843751
>>7844213
The FE reference book is the single most useful engineering book I know
>>
>>7842322
Our first point of intrest is how can we use our knowledge to get rid of America's welfare niggers
>>
>>7844250
anon it seems to me like you're trying to discuss politics on a science board
>>
>>7844213
>Born there?
Yep. It'll be my first job.
>>
>>7844404
I'm an argie too.

Schaeffler sounds cool. Mech E? How long have you been studying?
>>
>>7844409
Industrial. Finished bachelor last year.
I wonder if Schaeffler is really cool.
I still want to do a masters abroad.
>>
>>7843751
Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design maybe?
>>
Does anyone have experience finding engineering jobs overseas in Europe, coming from the US?

I have no idea how accreditation and shit works outside of the US. Is my education/job experience 100% worthless outside of the US?
>>
>>7842358
Try /diy/, it's so much better over there.
>>
File: Costanza.jpg (31 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
Costanza.jpg
31 KB, 560x560
>>7844483
>Shiggy's Mechanical Engineering Design

I seriously hope you guys don't read this
>>
>>7844504
true but /diy/ never likes to get technical. I made a thread on /sci/ about drone hoverboards, perhaps I should have put it here. Can anyone calculate the feasibility of 10 minute human flight with current battery tech?
>>
>>7844500
If you want to work in Britain (why wouldn't you?) then check if your course is accredited with the institute of mechanical engineers. If it is you are good to go, if it isnt dont worry things are pretty lax here and they will accredit you based on work experience alone. Hell you dont even need the accreditation because here anyone can call themself an engineer there is no regulation. Just dont go to the continent especially Germany, I heard they are hardcore on engineering regulation there.
>>
>>7844500
>>7845408
Britain. Some of what he says is correct, however for a top job in a large corp you do need a degree and institution membership. Civil engineering is extremely strict on this in the UK.
Europe. Your degree is essential, without one you are a technician. Be VERY aware that EU standards are often completely different to US, that makes life difficult. ie.
Materials may not be viable due to toxicity, supply chains compromised due to child or slave labour or corruption, environmental concerns with manufacture, supply, packaging, end life recycling.

Lot to consider that gets waved through in the US.
>>
Do mechengineers design shafts and cogs in their whole life?
>>
>>7843751
http://4chan-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanical_and_Aerospace_Engineering
>>
Any PEs here? Taking my exam in October. Shit is ridiculous.
>>
>>7844446
What does the internship consist of? To be honest, I don't actually know what Ind Eng do (I'm a ME undergrad, pls no bully).
>>
can someone recommend me a book on control engineering? all programming books seem to be concentrated on app development.
>>
Any EEs here? How do I get started working on projects? What do I have to buy?
>>
>>7846351
here

components are cheap and will depend on the project. general things I use in most projects are:
>resistors
>capacitors
>transistors (MOSFET or gtfo)
>opamps
>microcrontrollers (I prefer PIC)

when you start your project have a look at what you'll need/draw some rough specs and go shopping. the great thing about EE is that most projects can be done very affordably.
>>
>>7846410
Where do I learn to use those components? I haven't taken any electronics classes yet
>>
>>7846419
err, in the electronics classes?

microelectronic circuits by sedra/smith is great but if you want to do anything useful you need a wide range of classes.
>>
File: 1433648543947.jpg (26 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1433648543947.jpg
26 KB, 640x360
>be junior in mechanical engineering program
>basically never understand what I'm doing in labs outside a few programming-related instances
>doing well enough if not top-tier gradewise, somehow pulled an A in fluid mechanics last semester with the hard ornery professor
>tried and failed twice to get a co-op, trying again this semester

I'm beginning to suspect I'm one of those retards who can only do classroom shit and has no practical ability.
>>
>>7842322
whats going on in this picture??
>>
>>7846929
Merkel's plan for world domination.
>>
>>7846929

Looks like work on a fusion reactor. Probably the German stellarator
>>
>>7845408
>>7845642
is there a PE type equivalent thing for Europe?

I'm a EE in the power industry so I imagine that experience is pretty universal across the world.

I don't understand how all the foreign kids can come over and get an american education and go back with zero problems while I can't find any helpful information on starting here and moving overseas
>>
>>7846591
You will honestly probably end up using like 10% of what you learned in college
>>
>>7846929
Windehelm 7.
>>
Can I go into aerospace
>>
>>7846591
Go to grad school. That's what all the others do. Seems you like programming. Get in on some LabView, FEA, CFD or whatever it is you program.
>>
>>7846160
Design? No. Spec? Occasionally. I tend to do way more tolerancing than my degree would have ever led to believe I would need to.
>>
>>7843538
Probably grunt work at some software house again.
>>
>>7846929
Assembly of a stellarator (Probably the WX-7) which is a kind of fusion reactor design meant to overcome the problems of tokamak reactors by using a different, twisty shape.

This field configuration is potentially much more stable, but requires a very peculiar and difficult field shape, which in turn leads to extremely odd-shaped coils that are extremely difficult to design, manufacture, or assemble with the necessary precision.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.