[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sci/ Of late a few of my close friends have fallen into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: Crack that whip.jpg (59 KB, 970x762) Image search: [Google]
Crack that whip.jpg
59 KB, 970x762
Hey /sci/

Of late a few of my close friends have fallen into the crowd that inhales n2o (nos). I have done a fair bit of reading up on this and I really can't get a conclusive answer as to whether its bad for you or not. I would love to try it if its not going to cause long term side effects. Can chem majors or chemists or doctors for that instance give me a decent answer?

tl;dr: Is inhaling NOS bad for you?

Thanks in advanced :)
>>
From what I read, it doesn't seem to be bad for you, but I didn't go too deep.

I can tell you that that shits not worth it. I knew a guy who was doing it and I tried it one night. You get high for like 5 seconds off one and that's it. The high was kinda funny, but it's just stupid. Who the fuck wants to be high for 5 seconds and have to do another?
>>
Okay, see thats my issue, there is nothing very conclusive.

As for the high, if I tried it, it would generally be a one off thing.
>>
>>7835009
There's a real chance you can freeze your lungs and die, depending on delivery method of course. I know someone who had this happen to his girlfriend. There was no saving her.
>>
It's fine, just make sure you're doing it right and don't do a shit ton because it can cause a B12 deficiency.
>>
>>7835036
If it was from a balloon?
>>
>>7835009

just smoke weed
>>
heavy use could reduce your b12 levels, but you can prevent that by literally just popping a supplement after using the stuff. it's pretty damn safe.
>>
>>7835036
did she inhale it straight from the canister? what the fuck
>>
I heard that it can cause necrosis if use is too frequent since it's depriving the body of oxygen. Is this true?

Used to know someone who fell into doing this shit pretty heavily and turned kinda loopy after a while. Probably one of the stupidest addictions on the planet.

I concur with >>7835055 if a buzz is what you're after… it just makes more sense, especially if you're in CA, CO, etc where it can be bought and possessed legally with a license.
>>
>Nitrous oxide may also cause neurotoxicity after extended exposure because of hypoxia. This is especially true of non-medical formulations such as whipped-cream chargers (also known as "whippets" or "nangs"), which are not necessarily mixed with oxygen.

doesn't seem worth it
>>
>>7835036

I knew a guy that did it from a large industrial cannister and he froze his whole body. Shattered into pieces when they tried to remove him... Not worth it.
>>
Medfag here

Yes it is bad for you

No don't do it

Yes it causes long term side effects

Is weed honestly that hard to get where you live?

Literally no substance that alters your mental state is going to be good for you neurologically if taken in large doses or over a long period of time. I am not even sure why you needed a doctor to tell you this.
>>
>>7835143
>Moralfag here
fixed*
>>
>>7835009
>Is inhaling NOS bad for you?
It's safe as long as you don't overdo it and asphyxate yourself. Or faint and break your skull.
>>
>>7835036
>>7835046
>>7835083
PV=nRT broskis. Literally a problem with every reasonably near-ideal gas (i.e. improper setup for an inert gas suicide, etc.) Let it expand into a balloon and briefly warm up under ambient temperature.

I've had strokelike neurological symptoms from nitrous use before. Pretty intense weakness on one side of my body. The symptoms remitted completely under heavy B12 supplementation with no lingering effects. Most serious nitrous associated neurological harm seems almost entirely due to interference with B12, and since it's water soluble you cant really overdo it. So it's a reasonable procedure to take very large amounts before, during and after any serious nitrous binge.

>>7835009
>inhaling NOS
I don't recall if that's the auto grade or not. Don't inhale the auto grade. It generally contains nitric oxides which cause irreversible lung damage

It's also worth mentioning that the intended mechanism of action has its own risks. Sustained/repeated/chronic NMDA antagonism reduces cognitive ability.
>>
>>7835143
Medfags always seems to overstate how bad stuff is for you though
>>
>>7835009
you think these things are made in high tech labs and only contain pure n2o?
they have shit loads of tar and other particles that I woudnt want to be breathing in
>>
>>7835388

Or normalfags always seem to think these things happen instantly. We get to deal with the fucking trainwreck of a body you generate in twenty years. Thanks for that by the way, I love having to help people who couldn't help themselves.
>>
>>7835083
Yes. This is what happened. They were all doing it, but doing it in a different manner and handed it to her and she did it incorrectly (though they were doing it incorrectly too) she just didn't release the valve and was inhaling directly.

>>7835141
They said "frozen", but it is more likely just severe cold damage. Which isn't good for lungs.
>>
>>7835427
>food grade n2o
>shitloads of tar and other particles
yeah no
it's not medical-grade pure, but it's not 10-20% impurities either like your post would suggest
>>
>>7835055
>>7835099
>>7835143
>recommending weed instead of n2o
>not recommending weed+n2o
It's true that nitrous on its own is not worth it with its short buzz. When combined with cannabis intoxication however, its psychedelic side really comes to life and the duration is much longer and there's even a residual effect.
Better yet, LSD+n2o. Manifoldy.
>>
>>7835141
>industrial cannister
Probably a large pressure bottle at very high pressure.

I have heard of similar accidents in industry. Some guys were having fun with a colleague and squirted gas from such a bottle up the trouser leg. His rectum was frozen solid and then shattered. Dead from massive sepsis.

Gas expansino can form cryogenic liquified gas in some cases.
>>
Nitric oxide is what triggers an errection. Wouldn't whip-its give you massive boners?
>>
>>7835025
>there is nothing very conclusive.
Yes there is. It's VERY conclusive that only binging will be damaging for you and that's when not supplementing with B12.
Have you ever taken alcohol? That was a lot more damaging than n2o.
>>
>>7835009
Long term use causes nerve damage. And guess in what form? Pain.

If you're a nitrous addict for years, your life afterward will be literally constant pain.

There have been cases of this.
>>
>>7837023
Nitric oxide and nitrous oxide are two very different compounds.
>>
>>7837000
I've heard horror stories from shops involving normal 120psi compressed air for air tools. someone thought it'd be funny to hit someone in the ass with it as a prank. It ruptured their lower GI track and they died.
>>
Its fine, but one thing is weird that its super addictive for like 5min after you come back to reality.
>>
IT can be bad for you indirectly but caN BE PERFECTLY SAFE AS WELL. Sorry for the retarded caps but now im to lazy to go back and delete it which kind of defeats the purpose of me typing this whole sentence anyways.

So as I was saying make sure to get oxygen sufficiently in between hits of n2o or you will do damage to your brain. Don't be retarded and use a mask or some shit unless you know what you're doing and are feeding correct proportions of oxygen and maybe an inert gas as well. Also it will cause vitamin b12 diffeciency which can be serious.

Its a pretty shitty drug and expensive as fuck relatively so just don't fucking do it and telll you're friends their morons. Unless they are doing it while tripping, that shit's tight.
>>
>>7838828
>Its a pretty shitty drug
Please see:
>>7836978
>>
>>7838844
Please see
>Unless they are doing it while tripping, that shits tight
>>
I saw a documentary on it once. Seems you can use it too early to your detriment.

My advice is don't race an S2000.
>>
>>7836978
This. I didn't think nangs were that great until I tried them while high. Blew my fucking mind at the time.
>>
>>7835265
>Sustained/repeated/chronic NMDA antagonism reduces cognitive ability.
source?
>>
Pretty sure I read extended use can cause brain lesions but who knows hey. Lots of stuff on the net.

Honestly I saw people use it and they turned into giggling slobbering drooling retards for a couple minutes.

Seems like a shit drug.
>>
>>7835009
The fact that you can have it administered to you in a medical setting almost indefinitely should tell you what you need to know about its side-effects. But of course you are receiving oxygen as well.

However, as others have stated here:
Nitrous oxide inactivates (oxidizes) the cobalamin form of vitamin B12. Typically, enough B12 is stored in the body to make the effect from one exposure harmless. Doctors operate under the pretense that you're not deficient in B12, and that your exposure is limited only to medical procedures. If you are constantly introducing nitrous oxide into your system, you can have serious neurological problems without supplementing B12 -- and even then, it's not worth the risk of repeated use.

The high lasts such a short period of time, and the drug is insidious because you're tempted to do whip-it after whip-it. Try it once if someone hands it to you, but logically, there's no good reason to experiment beyond that.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.