[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
working on mechanism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Screenshot_2015-12-28-04-04-16.png (802 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-28-04-04-16.png
802 KB, 2560x1440
So i've got 2 springs
I need the 2nd spring to close quicker before the first spring, they have different poundages, but similar short distances.

1st spring is 3 mm distance to pullback with the poundage comparable to a pen spring

2nd spring is about the same distance to pullback 5mm with a poundage of about 3-4lbs

Again I need the second spring to close quicker
The question is, is the increased poundage of the second spring alone going to be enough speed from power to close faster as intended in the small distance
>>
>>7809526
Bump
>>
>>7809526
Boy, that's sure an interesting question, OP.
>>
>>7809604
Yes
>>
What the fuck are you trying to do?
>>
>>7809526
If compressed the same distance, a stiffer spring will accelerate towards equilibrium faster.
>>
File: Equilibrium.gif (2 KB, 248x248) Image search: [Google]
Equilibrium.gif
2 KB, 248x248
>>7810106
Sorry, forgot the pic.
>>
>>7810102
Create a convergent metaphor.
>>
>>7810102
Moving a peice of metal forwards automaticly with 2 springs and a lock
>>
>>7810304
let me guess you're trying to make a hidden blade or something?

Stacked springs are analogous to capacitors in parallel so the same equations apply.

I don't know what poundage is, are these constant force springs that will always apply 3-4 pounds no matter what?

Also mixing metric and imperial units is really fucking weird.
>>
>>7810322
Yes they are continuous springs

Its easyer to say 3mm rather than .07325 of an inch for example
>>
How does one delay a spring
>>
>>7809526
>> speed from power
Umm ok. I have no idea what you are trying to do, but it probably depends on the mass of the springs.
>>7810112
Labels would be nice
>>7810304
Draw it
>>
>>7811559
>he doesnt know that increased power also increases speed
>>
File: Time-For-Bed-Said-Zebedee.jpg (24 KB, 300x205) Image search: [Google]
Time-For-Bed-Said-Zebedee.jpg
24 KB, 300x205
http://www.efunda.com/designstandards/springs/calc_comp_designer.cfm
>>
File: Untitled.png (14 KB, 1152x648) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
14 KB, 1152x648
>>7811554
something like this is the first thing that occured to me.

When the entire assembly is pulled up, the one that's attached to the fixed part will have tension applied to it first. the other one won't until the arm hits the stop.

Isn't there also a way to make springs with variable strength along their push/pull length?
>>
>>7812573
Yes they are called non-linear springs. Sounds like you want increasing tension with force then? A beam does that.
>>
>>7812573
So a pinballish idea
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.