[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any aerospace engineers on /sci/? What do professionals praise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
Any aerospace engineers on /sci/?

What do professionals praise more - AIRBUS or BOEING?
>>
>>7806996
As an aircraft mechanic, I find it somewhat frustrating that Airbus insists on using both metric and imperial measurements on their aircraft.
>>
>>7807004
call me a brit-bong,
But i absolutely hate the inperial units
I feel SI units are the real and only way to go
>>
>>7807004
>>7807007

Of course. SI units were created to unify measurements on international projects. Imperial has no place outside very specific local projects (and even then it's not the ideal choice)
>>
>>7807004
wasn't there an accident because of that in the past?
they put less oil than needed, because they fucked up the units?
I have a faint memory of something along these lines
>>
>>7807007
>>7807011
I think both systems are pretty shit. Imperial puts it's units in human-scale, SI bases everything off an arbitrary and inaccurate measurement of the equator. Or the boiling point of water, on Earth, at sealevel, ect.

Ideally, a good system of measurements would be base-8, not base-10, or base-whatever-feels-good like with Imperial.
>>
>>7807027
base phi
>>
>>7807019
Yeah, I remember some Korean firm blamed a crash because they read an Airbus barometer as displaying in pascals when it was displaying in inches Hg. Pretty incompetent to confuse the two, imo, but maybe they were sleep deprived or something.

Anyways, it's irresponsible to not follow the service manual for things like that. If you're fucking with an Airbus you just know to double check the unit of measurement they decided to go with on a particular model.
>>
>>7807027
>SI bases everything off an arbitrary and inaccurate measurement of the equator. Or the boiling point of water, on Earth, at sealevel, ect.

Nigga, wtf are you taking about?
>>
>>7807053
Kilometers and centigrade respectfully, nigga.
>>
>>7807058
>Centigrade
That isn't SI. SI uses Kelvin, which will be defined so that Boltzmann's constant is exactly [math] 1.3806505 \times 10^{-23} JK^{-1} [/math]

>Kilometres
Again not SI. SI uses metres, which is defined as the distance light travels in [math] 1/c [/math] seconds.
>>
>>7807019
Yeah they confused gallons for liters in northern murica (canada?) , they landed safely in Winnipeg or something like that after gliding for 30 miles
>>
>>7807058
You're the dumbest motherfucker of all time if you think centigrade is an SI unit.

OF ALL TIME!
>>
Why doesn't Clover support <math>math tag?</math>
>>
>>7806996
SpaceX or Blue Origin.

Airbus and Boeing are dead ends.
>>
>>7807074
The metre hasn't changed since it was defined as a fraction of the circumference of what they thought the earth's equator was. Why the equator is measured as an awkward 40,075km. The Jews and Euros can say it's something based off the speed of light, but it's a nonsensical, arbitrary fraction of a second they define it as now.

Same with centigrade/ Celsius. Kelvin is scientific, but nobody uses it for the weather, either.
>>
>>7806996
Honestly, I don't think most of us care. I work at one of these two, but a lot of my coworkers have worked at the other, and wouldn't mind going back if things turn sour here.

From what I've heard, Boeing's company culture is a little harsher, with slightly fewer benefits, while Airbus is a little more laid back and has more benefits. However, Airbus likes to take on a lot of contract employees who get little to no benefits, and if they're good enough, eventually take them on as regular employees, while Boeing generally just takes on regular employees.

I haven't worked for both, so might be wrong, though.
>>
>>7807098
>The metre hasn't changed

Yes it has.

>"The metre is the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1 ⁄ 299792458 of a second"- 17th CGPM (1983, Resolution 1, CR, 97)

>Same with centigrade/ Celsius. Kelvin is scientific, but nobody uses it for the weather, either.

Kek. It's like you're actually retarded.
>>
>>7807107
They changed the definition, the actual dimensions of the metre has never changed. You know the difference between the two words, right?
>>
>>7807098
>Arbitrary
>Defining something in terms of a fundamental constant
>Arbitrary.

>The Jews
Unless you have something useful to contribute >>>/pol/
>>
>>7807128
> i don't care about the euros
> as long as you don't say anything bad about the jews
is that you bibi ?
>>
>>7807132
Oy vay, take your antisymmetric trolling to >>>/pol/ not only will they like you, they'll happily reinforce your victim complex.
>>
>>7807128
What the fuck is a fraction like 1 / 299,792,458th of a second if not arbitrary? The meter is based of an inaccurate measurement of the earth. It has zero basis in reality, so I say it's arbitrary.
>>
>>7807140
This board or website doesn't belong to zionists
But you can enjoy your visit in >>>/trash/
>>
>>7807144
Yeah you're right, it's completely arbitrary to define things inters of fundamental constants.
>>
File: 1453339951651.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1453339951651.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>OP asks about aerospace industry
>thread turns into argument over units
Sasuga
>>
File: get_a_load_of_this_queer.png (193 KB, 1416x910) Image search: [Google]
get_a_load_of_this_queer.png
193 KB, 1416x910
>>7807254
Welcome to /sci/, enjoy your stay.
>>
Can someone suggest good books on aerospace companies like Lockeed Martin/ Northrop (like the pic by the OP)
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.