[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Employing strictly the properties of the set of rational
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: babbys first analysis.png (191 KB, 600x601) Image search: [Google]
babbys first analysis.png
191 KB, 600x601
>Employing strictly the properties of the set of rational numbers listed above
What did mean by this?

How does one go about proving i - iii employing strictly the properties of the set of rational numbers listed above?
>>
>>7806656
It might help if you post the properties that you cut off from the top of the page
>>
File: asfaf.png (410 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
asfaf.png
410 KB, 1360x768
>>7806662
>>
>>7806673
to do 1.(i):
ab+a(-b)
=a(b+(-b)) (by (v))
= a0 (by definition of additive inverses)
=a(0+0) (since 0 is additive inverse)
=a0+a0

in particular this implies a0=0 so a(-b)=-(ab)
>>
>>7806686
how do you prove the transposition part?
>>
>>7806727
What transposition are you referring to?
>>
>>7806730
ab+a(-b)
>>
>>7806744
I'm still not sure what you mean. ab+a(-b) is a number, not a transposition.
>>
>>7806750
I mean how did you get from a(-b)=-(ab) to ab + a(-b) = 0?
>>
>>7806757
-(ab) designates the additive inverse of ab, i.e. the unique number such that ab+(-ab)=0. So I showed ab+a(-b)=0, which implies a(-b)=-(ab).
>>
>>7806760
I get it now

cheers
>>
These are arithmetic axioms.
With these you can prove that

ab = 0 => that either a or b is 0
>>
>>7806656
> Question 3

Shouldn't it be for a != 0?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.