[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What background knowledge in math do I need in order to learn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1451332320669.jpg (51 KB, 540x429) Image search: [Google]
1451332320669.jpg
51 KB, 540x429
What background knowledge in math do I need in order to learn PDE's, Complex Analysis, Finite Element Method, and Numerical Methods.
>>
>>7803705
Functional Analysis
>>
My mathematical knowledge is up to calculus 1.
>>7803722
what background do I need to be able to pick up this topic?
>>
>>7804489
Read
>Principles of Mathematical Analysis by Rudin
>Real and Complex Analysis by Rudin
>Functional Analysis by Rudin
in that order.
>>
>>7803705
Those classes require calc1-3 at my school. That's it
>>
>>7804496
Jk, need DiffyQ too.
But really, if you pass the upper division proof course, most if not all courses open up too you.
>>
>>7803705
Ignore >>7804494
This is a good way to get discouraged quickly. Those are tough for beginners in math who aren't used to proofs.

Start with khan academy calc (integrals, multivar, diffeqs). Move on to complex analysis, then real analysis (MAYBE do principles of mathematical analysis then).

If you're quick, you should learn it in two years. But you have to allocate at least two hours a day to this. It will not come easy. Good luck.
>>
>>7804504
I've been using kahn academy. I have 80% mastery in differential calculus right now, and am beginning integral calculus now.
>>
>>7803705
>Numerical Methods
calc 2
>>
>>7803705
Calc 1-3 and ODEs
>>
>>7803705
Yeah similar to what they've said in the thread already. Mostly calc 1-3, differential equations, maybe some linear algebra.

Before looking at complex analysis, investigate some real analysis.

Don't jump into Rudin. Baby Rudin is good for junior and senior level math undergrads. Anything past that is a for grad students as a thorough reference tool.

Out of that list you'll want to do PDE's, but I wouldn't suggest doing that until you've done both ODE's and multivariable calc. The last two subjects you listed are usually part of a Numerical Analysis class. Make sure you're at least intermediate in some programming language by the time you make it to numerical.

These are some of my favorite topics but keep in mind these are mostly junior and senior level undergrad math courses and if you're not at that level you have plenty of time to get there and work up a solid base. It's useless if you just rush to the topic and only understand half of it.
>>
>>7804700
Why do I need real analysis in order to do complex?
>>
>>7804714
Complex analysis is the extrapolation of real analysis to the complex numbers. Also most complex analysis texts will require you to know things that were fundamentally proven in real analysis.

Lastly, having a rigorous, proof-based course is sort of necessary if you want to be successful in any kind of analysis class.
>>
>>7804714
you dont
>>
>>7804725
What are some places on the internet or books that I can find on real and complex analysis?
>>
>>7804739
https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~hunter/intro_analysis_pdf/intro_analysis.pdf
>>
>>7804714

Depends on whether you want to learn complex analysis as a mathematician or for some applied purpose. A lot of school offer complex analysis as a "for scientists and engineers" class (whereas real analysis is always a rigorous, proof-based course) because the ideas are used quite frequently (mainly physics and EE) but obviously these students rarely have any exposure to mature mathematics.
Same thing with PDEs, but a slightly higher level - you can solve basic PDEs with just Calc and DiffEq (would also recommend knowledge of LinAlg concepts), you can babby-tier analyze them with undergrad analysis, but if you really want to start analyzing PDEs you need at least a semester of grad analysis, preferably with exposure to functional analysis.
I'm not well versed with numerics, but from what I gathered it's a similar idea - you can implement algorithms with superficial understanding for sure, but if you want to analyze numerical schemes (understand how well they compute solutions, accuracy vs run time stuff, stability, implicit vs explicit, etc.) you definitely need some sort of exposure to analysis.

The problem is when you list these 4 topics, which are prevalent to physical sciences/engineering, it isn't clear whether you want to learn them from an applied or analytical purpose.
>>
>>7804802
Purely application based as I found out my EE program I'm starting in fall doesn't cover any/much of these topics.
>>
Not going to read the thread as I know a lot of bullshit gets posted. To get a good foundation for these subjects, in order:

- Some set theory
- Calculus 1, 2
- Linear algebra
- Calculus 3, (4)
- Analysis
- Differential equations
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.