[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is transhumanism ethical? And should we pursue immortality via
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Transhumanism_h+_2.svg.png (121 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
Transhumanism_h+_2.svg.png
121 KB, 2000x2000
Is transhumanism ethical? And should we pursue immortality via technology? Is mind uploading possible? Discuss.
>>
>>7803580
>>>/x/
>>
>>7803580
Why exactly would it be unethical beyond anything we're already doing today?
>>
>>7803740
I'm not OP but there are several reasons.

You'd almost instantly create a massive class divide between people who had human enhancement technology and people who didn't. What happens when the life expectancy for an extremely small portion of humanity (who also happen to be highly influential and in control) can live much longer than an average person? What's society going to be like when 5% of the population lives to be ~300 and the rest are stuck at 60-90?

What about work that directly benefits from augmented workers? Do you think people would be happy and complacent if their employers forced them to get implants, and then fired them if they refused? What happens when the working class builds a resentment to the enhanced? Do their children grow up learning the same? Could they start riots or strikes?

What about when the wrong person decides to get implants or robotic replacements, and then goes on a killing spree? How do you regulate something like this, when the 'contraband' can become part of the human body? How are people going to look at enhanced people on the street?

What about the religious side? Several major religions see the body as god's temple -- how are their followers going to see this kind of thing? Are there going to be violent reprisals against augmented people for daring to alter what some people see as god's creation?

There are a lot of tough questions when it comes to the ethics of human enhancement, which is one of the reasons large corporations aren't pouring billions into it right now. You just aren't going to know how humankind is going to react, until they do.
>>
>>7803602
Why /x/?
>>
>>7803822
Well that is not too different from modern dynasties, families that own and control vast wealth. They get all the medical assistance they will ever need. And power is inherited.
>>
No and no, once something stops being mostly biological it loses its definition of human.
>>
>>7803580
>Is transhumanism ethical?
Being a daydreaming escapist manchild is very unethical and antiscientific.
>>
>>7803580
>should we pursue immortality via technology
Of course we do. I have no intentions of terminating my existence anytime before the universe itself
>>
>>7806731
>Large advances in artificial organs and transplants, stem cell research, and gene editing in the past 5-10 years alone.
>People will NEVER be able to extend the limits of the human body
>There's no way you could ever hope to extend a human's lifespan using technology invented in the next 60-70 years

Are you some kind of retard?

I can get railing against the 'mind uploads and the singularity in 50 years!!!!' people because they're honestly absurd but saying that we'll have no chance of extending our lifespan or QoL in the next two generations is beyond stupidity
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.