[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can we help more people understand the benefits of Common
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
How can we help more people understand the benefits of Common Core and teach that a deeper understanding of how numbers can be broken up is unfathomably more efficient than memorizing a fact like "8+5=13" or applying an algorithm?
>>
>>7801488
Remove the association of Common Core being a package deal with the Arts. Many people dislike common core because they perceive certain biases in the more subjective subjects taught.

Also making the questions grammatically correct and make more sense wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>7801488
That picture is so cancerous. Kids do this on their own if they're smart. They don't need you to shove it down their throats with confusing questions. I do this in my head and I didn't grow up on that common core garbage.
>>
>>7801488
>a deeper understanding of how numbers can be broken up
yeah... in base 10.

>deep understanding
This is just a gimmick to do quick arithmetic and that's it.
>>
Am I dumb? I can't understand what is going on in that picture. My mind is just incapable of processing the data.
>>
>>7801503
>in base 10
>decimal
you mean the number system that the human race uses for almost everything?
>>
>>7801505
>The homework contains a nonsensical question.
>The student is rightly confused by the nonsensical question.
>The teacher responds by regurgitating government propaganda.

I think that about covers it.
>>
Does CC multiplication still rely on tables for numbers up to around 12?

If not, what's the process?
I plan on teaching my daughter multiplication tables the way I learned them: Brute force memorization. Helps so much to just know simple math with out doing any work other than recall.
>>
>>7801514
How much do you enjoy that computer you spend all day shitposting on?
>>
>>7801505
You can "borrow" 2 from 5 and add it to 8 to make 10. Since we count in base 10, it's simple to add the left over amount (3) to that 10 and then you have 13, the solution.
This seems long-winded, but scaled up it is incredibly useful.

Imagine adding 97 + 49
A depressing amount of people would immediately grab their calculator (or open the app on their phone) to make this calculation.
But with this method you can instead say, "hey, 97 is almost 100, so if I borrow 3 from 49 I have 100 + 46 which is a much simpler calculation"
>>
>>7801515
>government propaganda
>mental math
Tell me how you live with an IQ of 3
>>
>>7801524
>implying I have a low iq because I don't need mental gymnastics to do basic arithmetic
>>
>>7801527
>efficiency is BAD
>>
>>7801521
You could also do 90 + 40 is 130 and 7 + 9 is 16 so the answer is 146. That's what I do in my head and it takes like 3 seconds.

Forcing kids to learn one government-mandated way to do mental calculations is stupid.
>>
>>7801488
>benefits of Common Core
>of Common Core

We've been doing that long before common core. All CC does is slow down the curriculum so kids only get to geometry in the 11th grade.
>>
>>7801521
Thanks to NOT learning that this approach is the only approach to addition I should take, I can easily add 9s to 7 or 4.
>>
>>7801521

Eurofag here. This part was taught to me all the way back in '94 and '95. Multiplication was done "row-wise", i.e. we would be told: "This is the seven-row. [ 7,14,21 ... on the board] We'll repeat together now [chanting]. Memorize it until tomorrow." Cue some standard oral quizzing technique the next day and in irregular intervals after that.
Truth be told, after we went up to 10x10, the teacher pointed out the little nifty things, like multiples of nine adding up to nine, 9x = 10x -x etc.
Motherfucker humilated like 30% of the class on a regular basis, but the technical side was solid.
>>
>>7801536
> That's what I do in my head and it takes like 3 seconds.
You're pretty slow and your method sucks then.
>>
Doesn't this whole common core thing subconsciously get developed when you're a kid growing up? whats the benefit of teaching the minutia directly to kids who wont have developed it yet?
>>
5-2 is THREE
8+ THREE IS ELEVEN
ELEVEN PLUS 3 IS 14
FUCKING MAGIC, SUE THAT RETARDED TEACHER
>>
>>7801624
No child gets left behind (or ahead for that matter)
>>
File: common core.jpg (67 KB, 876x493) Image search: [Google]
common core.jpg
67 KB, 876x493
Common Core is good for teaching kids number sense, but like >>7801499 mentioned, it's essential to decouple it from this kind of bullshit in the arts.
>>
>>7801521
>97+49
>100+46

>>7801564

Why can't we just teach them both and let the kids do it whichever way they prefer?
>>
>>7801529
tell how to make 10 when adding 8+5 you stupid maggot.
>>
>>7801626
>take 2 from 5
leaving 3
>add it [the 2] to 8
>8 + 2 = 10
>then add 3 [from the first step, above]
now take your meds, breathe deeply,
and try to calm the fuck down
>>
>>7801741
8 = 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
5 = 1+1+1+1+1
∴ 8 + 5 = 1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 10+1+1+1 see fucker theres your 10
= 10+3 = 13
>>
>>7801655
Amazing that such blatant propaganda as this is taught in schools. Textbook brainwashing
>>
Fuck any curriculum. It is all down to the teacher.
My 6 year old says "Twenny". I tell her its 'twenty' she says she knows, thats how she is taught by the teacher, but normally the teacher says 'twenny'.
Fuck the education system - its broken beyond fixing.
>>
>>7801655
This is the core of Common Core: Marxism.
>>
>>7801516

Relying on recall makes you worse at maths than developing a method.
>>
>>7801810
Actually common core keeps the multiplication tables, but the whole point of multiplication tables is for them to be so ingrained that it is automatic recall. Although it is beneficial to completely understand what multiplication IS and how it can be represented as addition
>>
>>7801501
>Kids do this on their own if they're smart.
And smart people decided that maybe we should teach the "dumb" kids how to think like smart kids.
>>
>>7801518
Am I doing all of the base 2 arithmetic for my computer?
>>
>>7801769
>my little brother is doing his division homework
>starts subtracting numbers
>hey, why are you doing that?
>well my teacher said division is like subtraction

Kids will get fucked up by any tiny thing a teacher says and take it as law.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.