[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /sci/. I'm a mathematician with an interest in psychometry.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1449820417301.jpg (37 KB, 403x480) Image search: [Google]
1449820417301.jpg
37 KB, 403x480
Sup /sci/.
I'm a mathematician with an interest in psychometry. Currently thinking about creating my own IQ test, and I came to ask myself a few questions.

The overall IQ score should be a weighted average of verbal intelligence, pattern recognition, short term memory and spatial intelligence. But how should I weight these different areas.

Consider the extreme cases of an autist who can only into pattern recognition while having absolutely no verbal skills. Now consider the opposite, i.e. a rapper with extremely good verbal intelligence but who failed calculus in school. How should we compare these two? Which one would be more intelligent in the end?

Any input would be highly appreciated.
>>
>>7800772
I remember... once upon a time... that intelligence was all about your brain. How good you were a math, physics, puzzles, etc.

Then people who were good at sports would called athletic. People who would have good verbal skills would be called articulate. A person with good social skills would be called outgoing. A person with artistic talent would be called talented.

Now to hell with you. People good at sports have 'spatial intelligence'. Good verbal skills have 'verbal intelligence'. Social skills is now 'social intelligence' and I'm sure they have some bullshit made up intelligence for art too, I've seen those pictures posted on fucking facebook one too many times.

I'm tired of this you fucking morons. No, you are not intelligent. You are not smart. You may be articulate, talented, athletic but you are not fucking intelligent. Stop making up definitions just because it makes you feel good.

I am not athletic and I don't give a fuck. You don't have to tell me that I am 'mentally athletic' or some bullshit like that. I am articulate too and that is fine.

Fuck right off OP, and take your gang of facebookers with you.
>>
An IQ test cannot accurately predict the IQ of anymore more intelligent than its creators, so unfortunately your IQ test can only be used to tell if someone is mentally retarded or not.
>>
Why just short term memory? Is being able to remember events and information accurately from long ago not a measure of intelligence?
>>
>>7800772
Why do you feel the need to reinvent a functioning wheel? There are already tests that separate dimensions of intelligence.

On what theoretical basis did you pick those dimensions? How are they weighted? Why?
>>
File: 2ez.jpg (64 KB, 403x480) Image search: [Google]
2ez.jpg
64 KB, 403x480
>>7800772
>>
>>7800803
>People good at sports have 'spatial intelligence'.
Spatial intelligence is about visualizing geometric shapes in higher dimensions. I'd rather say athletes have good control of their body.
>>
>>7800809
Actually I wanted to make an IQ test specifically for high IQ people.
>>
>>7800812
>to complete this test, please come back in 10 years
>>
>>7800869
Only ones that are not organism.
>>
>>7800772
I don't think an overall IQ score is needed nowadays. Let the user decide how they want to weight the different aspects, or dimensions, your test will measure. It seems a lot more useful for them this way anyway.

I suppose the dimensions should be as independant as possible and you can probably have a normalized score for each of them.
Since they are likely to be a bit correlated, I suppose you'll have to normalize them using a multivariate normal distribution.

If you really want to come up with an overall score anyway. Have a group of people take your test and another well established test. There's probably ways to calibrate your test so it is consistent with the global IQ scores from the well established test.

You can also research the g-factor. From Wiki:
The g factor (short for "general factor") is a construct developed in psychometric investigations of cognitive abilities. It is a variable that summarizes positive correlations among different cognitive tasks, reflecting the fact that an individual's performance at one type of cognitive task tends to be comparable to that person's performance at other kinds of cognitive tasks. The g factor typically accounts for 40 to 50 percent of the between-individual performance differences on a given cognitive test, and composite scores ("IQ scores") based on many tests are frequently regarded as estimates of individuals' standing on the g factor.
>>
>>7801060
>not crossing out the plant then
>>
>>7800772
Have you tried dabbling in psychohistory while you are at it?
>>
>>7800772
>how

By not using weighted averages. Make it input all the different scores into a function, and make it so that any change in the IQ by one score is influenced by all the other scores.

You would probably need some complex math for that, and you would probably need to invent some math yourself.
>>
>>7802044
continuing:
Anyway, look up the concept of Indifference Curves. It would show a tradeoff between different scores. For example - what verbal score you need to have and what pattern recognition score you need to have, for any possible pair (or n-tuple) of verbal and pattern recognition scores for the IQ score to be the same.

It's very sad that psychologists don't know proper math, so they end up creating shitty, unpredictive, unfalsifiable or bordering falsifiable models based on 1st year college math. Why isn't at least a Bachelor level of math required for psychologists? That would weed out a lot of idiots from psychology (like those pseudo-scientific Freudian psychoanalysts and such).
>>
>>7800772
Isn't this going to become moot once we have a human brain model in a few years? My advise would be to focus your bran capacity at helping those that are currently trying to model our brain, because they sure need all the help they can't get.
>>
> Currently thinking about creating my own IQ test
Unless you can identify neural pathways specifically associated with the g factor and invent a brain scanning method to show levels of activity in those pathways, don't bother, you're just circlejerking yourself at this point.

Your psychometric instrument won't be used by anybody but yourself.
>>
170 IQ reporting
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.