[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you git gud at chess? I studied tactics, definitions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: na_ebonychess_setm3600.jpg (45 KB, 600x479) Image search: [Google]
na_ebonychess_setm3600.jpg
45 KB, 600x479
How do you git gud at chess?

I studied tactics, definitions and basic strategies but I always make weak openings or fuck them up eventually. When I manage to reach endgame by having roughly the same points of the CPU I just don't know what the fuck I should do
>>
>>7797227
idk, did you ask >>>/tg/?
>>
>>7797230
I will
>>
>>7797230
/tg/ knows fuck all about chess. He'll have more luck at /sp/.

Still, this probably isn't the correct board.
>>
Play against people, not computer
As a beginner, first you need to learn how to play without dropping pieces, it takes some time
>>
>>7797235
/tg/ is the only fitting board tbqh. There's a chess thread from time to time, but yeah, there are like 2 people above 1500 FIDE who know how to play it.
>>
Tal's style is the only correct style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ3PdqjtDno&list=PL55B2E0491289D108
>>
tactics and end games til you're ~2000 rating

then you can start worrying about openings and positional play

that's what every really good chess player I've ever known has told me. some of which are above 2000
>>
>>7797465
Magnus told me you need to fuck bitches from time to time, too.
>>
File: 1448302183028.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1448302183028.jpg
139 KB, 1280x720
>>7797227
Chess tutor here. Do you have a rating so that we have a good idea?
Most of the advice here is solid. Tactics websites such as Chesstempo are great. Books on positional strategies exist too, and make sure you learn your basic endgames like KQ KR KP or KBB v K. Also, don't throw openings out of the window yet. Learn the first few moves at least.
>>
File: 1 against the world.png (1012 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1 against the world.png
1012 KB, 1280x720
>>7797227
>How do you git gud at chess?
>I always make weak openings or fuck them up eventually.
Looks like we found the area which you need to improve on.
>>
>>7797227
watch Tal.
>>
>>7797227
Play through games of masters. Try to predict the next move as you go. Stop and analyze when you can't figure out why the players made the moves they did.

Tactics problems as well. In following the evolution of computer chess, I found that any game is 90% about who can see deeper tactically. All this stuff about positional play are just rules of thumb based on tactics.

And just play a lot to gain fluency. Like immersing yourself in a foreign language, the more you play, the faster and deeper you'll be able to think.
>>
>>7797227
I prefer "end game", less pieces to manage, solutions start to just glow.
>>
>>7797227
1. tatics ever day, try to solve position before you move pieces, quality > quantity, it is better to solve 10/10 than guess moves and solve only 10 of 20.

2. endgames study everyday, find good book on endgames, check chess.com forums and study everyday
3. Read and understand 10 gold rules about moving in opening, do not waste time on memorization of theory.

If you will study this way for few months (everyday 2-3h) I think you could eaisly go up to 1900-2000 elo in 6-9month?

Of course you would have to solve thousands of combinations.
>>
File: givsun.webm (206 KB, 696x670) Image search: [Google]
givsun.webm
206 KB, 696x670
>>7797227
Get Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition and play through Josh Waitzkin's Academy.It's the best source out there with tens of hours of commentary which'll give you all you need to know for beginner level.After that do as others have suggested play against other people, do tactics, watch youtube tutorials etc.
>>
>>7797828
end-game is literally solved tho
>>
>>7799581
Christ, that's a nasty situation.
>>
>>7799893
you have to be retarded to get into it tho.
>>
>>7799897
I used to play chess as a kid, found out it's not my game. I think to impulsively to notice these traps.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.