[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is happiness the most important thing to humanity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: m.jpg (33 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
m.jpg
33 KB, 600x800
Is happiness the most important thing to humanity?
>>
having a big dick is
>>
Who is the boomer consumer?
>>
File: hog.jpg (117 KB, 551x413) Image search: [Google]
hog.jpg
117 KB, 551x413
>>7783477
fuck off to /his/terectomy
>>
Not for :it is to design a plan to destroy every single life on earth
>>
I used to think that exploring and discovering was the only real way to make a purpose out of life, but in the end there isn't going to be any record of this. No matter what you do you will be forgotten - and if you're lucky and special and that doesn't happen within 150 years then it will just be delayed. Nothing you can do can impact the future in any meaningful way, so then what's the point in asking questions about the universe? Why not just do nothing but gorge yourself on emotions for the limited time you can?
>>
Who is that sperm fiend?
>>
I will impact the future but of course nobody will be here to remember what i had done
>>
>>7783545
Used to think like that too. But the answer is quite simple you just have to find a way to not die in the first place.
>>
>>7783545
this>>7783933
striving for evolution or ensuring your species can overcome all obstacles to its legacy
>>
Existential rambling coming in.

Since life is essentially meaningless, you have to live life for its own sake. In my opinion, that means following one of two paths.

The first is hedonism. Living for your own immediate or future pleasure, in order to pass through this life easiest.

The second is living up to an arbitrary moral code. Creating something of your life in order to become virtuous. Usually this is being a "good person" or creating a better life for others. Charity work, going into politics, teaching, religious work, science for the purpose of creating technology, etc...

Thing is, this second motivation is explicitly to make other people happier, so in effect, it's a displaced hedonism, with a focus on others.

Thus,i believe happiness is the ultimate goal of any rational person, either selfishly or selflessly.
>>
There is not been enough data for us to accurately say "there is no meaning to life" or "there is a meaning to life". For us to know if there or there is not a meaning to life, we must know at a minimum "everything". You cannot call yourself a realist and say "there is no meaning to life" you are a pessimist. If you say there is a meaning to life you are an optimist. If you say "we do not know if there is a meaning to life" you are a realist.

The label of pessimist, optimist and realist have been determined around the human tendency to seek intrinsic value or the meaning in life.

If we assume that all humans have this tendency to seek an intrinsic value or meaning in life, we can say that humans are forever bound to accumulating enough data to accurate state whether or not there is a meaning to life, to which of course, it is humanly impossible to accumulate enough data.

In short, the point of life is to solve a question that is humanly impossible to solve.

#absurdism
>>
You decide whats important to you. I personally believe helping to reduce the suffering of others is a highly moral good. There are many who dont even have basic human necessities (good food, water, shelter, safety). People shouldn't spend their whole lives just trying to make their own lives more comfortable
>>
>>7783477
No. Some people deliberately make themselves unhappy because they believe it's more comfortable.
>>
>>7784032
>4441
Beliefs about life or its meaning have no inherent connection to pessimism etc. That's a bunch of superfluous clutter tacked on to a matter with which it does not belong.

The question can't even be evaluated. Meaning relative to what? We don't even know that. Who even cares. Life has a grand meaning if you think it does, it doesn't if you don't. That is the way ti will most likely stay, always and forever.

What a banal question, perhaps even the most banal in existence. Meaning of life. Don't give a fuck.
>>
>>7783477
Technically reproduction is the most important thing to humanity. After that, survival. Then video games. And finally, money.
>>
>>7783477
happiness is relative. without misery, concept of happiness doesnt exist.
>>
>>7783545
Individuals don't move mountains but the collective can (and does!). Stagnating because of insecurity in your individual accomplishments and how much you'll be individually remembered (why complain that you can't achieve something that literally can't be achieved?) only will cause you to not be a part of the change that WILL happen.
>>
>>7784441
It's easier to be unhappy.
>>
>>7784526
a lot easier.
>>
>>7784526
so unhappy people are lazy, laziness is bad, and by extension youre a hard working, happy person. classic message board passive aggro that is so common in this society.
ime the "happy/bubbly" people are fake. try having a real conversation with one some time. you can't because theyre so fake they dont even know what their opinion is on most things until they get it from some tv stacey/chad, and they know it, which makes them deeply insecure.

some days are good and some arent. a lot of people cant admit that.
>>
>>7784445
>Beliefs about life or its meaning have no inherent connection to pessimism etc.

I disagree.

Although this can obviously vary from human from human, if we assume the seemingly universal belief that humans crave a meaning to life to be true, we can say that any belief system that states that there is no meaning to life is pessimistic because it is contrary to the desire of humans. And of course, any belief system that states that there is a meaning to life is optimistic because it satisfies the craving of humans.

Yes I agree. Meaning of life is banal.
>>
peice of mind if more important I would say.

people want to be safe ans secure before they can even think about being "happy"
>>
Life has whatever meaning you personally assign it to because in the end the only thing that really matters is yourself, so you might as well focus on the things that you enjoy
>>
>>7783545
All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

>>7784524
This. be the change, /sci/
>>
"I kind of think happiness is over-rated.
People spend their whole lives chasing it
because it's the most important thing
in the world. Happy people are kind of
arrogant."
– Rainn Wilson (as Frank Darbo), "Super" (2010)
>>
>>7784003
The second one would usually be called Hedonistic Utilitarianism, for future reference.
>>
>Call no man happy until he is dead.
-Solon
>>
Most important is subjective and situational; I do believe it is one of the most influential aspects of our lives. The concept of happiness is also very subjective as some people actually achieve so while others lower their standards to become "happy", and a few others disregard it as fantasy in order to find comfort in misery or compliance. I'm happy with my friends. my hobbies, my future career as an astronautical engineer. Some people find happiness in unrestrained writing and reading, others in being a comforting helping hand. I don't think every person will achieve 'true' happiness but we should all still reach for it in our own way
>>
Not for humanity but for a person it fundementally is.
That sounds like it results in being the best for humanity anyways but that isn't the same.
>>
If so, We should allow any kinds of drugs
>>
>>7786323
>implying temporary and artificial happiness is equal to natural emotion
>>
>> /lit/
>>
>>7783477
all progress has been the result of misery and dissatisfaction. happiness only leads to stagnation. it work better as a goal than actuality
>>
>>7784480
This, and balance means solid and stable state where nothing can exist.
>>
>>7783477
Happiness is overrated; No one isn't going to feel happy 100% of the time.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.