[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the most usual laboratory practices and techniques learnt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: 2074.jpg (32 KB, 240x336) Image search: [Google]
2074.jpg
32 KB, 240x336
What are the most usual laboratory practices and techniques learnt and done in a biology degree? I know it can vary from university to university so Im pretty open in that matter. Can anyone link me a list or something?
Thank you
>>
>>7775115

It'll vary based on your concentration. In microbiology, laboratory classes basically get your feet wet.

>Intro to Micro Lab
Pipetting
Aseptic technique
Media inoculation
Slide preparation
Biochemical identification of microbes

>Micro Lab II
Media preparation
DNA extraction, purification, and quantification
Transformation protocols
Bacterial culture

>Food Microbiology Lab
This was basically application of techniques learned in Intro Micro lab to identify foodborne pathogens. The only difference is we used a stomacher to homogenize food samples before spreading on plates.

Honestly, don't stress the molecular techniques. Just make sure you can pipette worth a damn, work a scale, and your aseptic technique is straight. Also, be sure you can do basic lab math. Goddammit, undergrad research volunteers can't calculate anything worth a damn. If you can do those four things, you'll be all set to learn the more nuanced shit you'll learn while working in a lab.
>>
Basically you'll be micropipetting different substances.
>>
>>7775115
In terms of broad spectrum?
>pipette skills
>inoculating an agar plate
>centrifuging
>that rumbly thing where it mixes shit better than your incompetent ass could
>>
>>7775636
>that rumbly thing where it mixes shit better than your incompetent ass could
VORTEX son. Be careful not to use it when separating plasmids from chromosomal DNA.
>>
>>7776444
>he fell for the plasmid prep memes
I vortex my preps all the time, it doesn't do shit to your DNA.
>>
>>7775115

Don't unplug the freezer.
>>
>>7775115
centrifuges
thermalcyclers
electrophoresis
cell culturing

and some other stuff I do on the daily in research but I am microbio and not a general bio

general bio you will probably
sometimes micropipette stuff
cut out paper things and arrange them
>>
>>7775264
>Goddammit, undergrad research volunteers can't calculate anything worth a damn.

This is no joke, my current professor I work for picked me up literally due to the fact I enjoy doing math and stats as a hobby and not a single person in his lab could even do general calculus (all female lab except me, microbio l o l) and I do all the math while teaching them and do my own research

get a good grasp of math/chemistry and you will get far in biology since most people are there because they dont have to do much math
>>
>>7776827
Topkek.
>>
>>7775115

Good lists, nothing really to add for lab sections.

I would say that you'll get your experience working in a lab as an undergrad, so that's really what will carry you (techniques and practices and projects and what not) to the next step.
>>
>>7775115
Tying down small animals and dissecting them, scalpel techniques, skinning.
>>
>>7776792
Haha, you got me there mate ;^)
>>
Is anyone else triggered by the fact that the guy in OP's pic isn't wearing gloves?
>>
>>7778610

I'm not anymore. When I worked in biophysics other groups we shared labspace with would not wear gloves inside the hoods. Boggles my mind to this day.
>>
>>7778610
Nobody wears gloves in the lab, nerd
>>
>>7776859
>cut out paper things and arrange them

Jesus fuck, is this accurate. Get ready to count m&m's and beads.
>>
>>7775264
>tfw my degree requires high level stats course and up to calc III
>>
>>7778610
Who says it's a hazard day?
Not every lab handles hazardous chemicals.
>>
>>7779968
I forgot that calculus 3 was a physical skill that was exercised in a laboratory environment.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.