[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: Depressed Pepe.jpg (12 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
Depressed Pepe.jpg
12 KB, 480x480
Who /not intelligent enough to contribute anything to science/ here?

IQ of 114 reporting in. This feel sucks.
>>
iq is just a number.

Hard work beats natural talent every time. Stop being such a sad kunt and apply yourself.
>>
You can always work at the budweiser bottle factory checking for cracks
>>
I'm a grad student and I'm not very smart.

There's a lot of grunt work to be done in science these days. You can even get a PhD out of the deal.
>>
>>7774112
I ain't good enough, anon. My maths ability is not even remotely up to standard to make any kind of scientific discovery.

So, people with mentally retarded IQs of 70-80 are capable too?
>>
>>7774122
Have you even attempted to study higher level maths? Because if you haven't, you are as dumb as you say you are. If you have, quit bitching about an insignificant number and apply yourself faggot.
>>
>>7774119

This. A lot of it is literally grunt work, while you're supervised by some genius professor. The grunt work matters.
>>
>>7774137
fucking this.
Dont treat your avarage IQ like an excuse to dont do anything. You think all those known scientists were geniuses? Boy please.
>>
>>7774096
Your iq, although supposedly a generalized computation of your intelligence, only measures how hard you'll need to work to learn new things (if such iq test determines natural intelligence, which any legitimate iq test should)

Although high natural intellegence is very helpful, it's not all you need to contribute here.

In case you were wondering, 143 here.
>>
>>7774140
If you're really lucky you don't even have to work hard. I knew a guy who literally got his PhD by throwing other peoples' hard work in a machine and measuring it.

The dumbass broke a bunch of shit doing it too, and now he's working for a big ticket school.
>>
>>7774122
This is of course a possible exception. If you have an iq of at least 100 you can grasp advanced mathematics if you work your ass off.
>>
>>7774143
You're telling me Niels Bohr wasn't a genius? Give me a break.

>>7774137
I'm studying lower level maths. I'm improving a lot in it, but it's not higher stuff, Stuff that should be easy, such as finding the co-ordinates of a point on a circle, is tough for me,
>>
>>7774096
Honestly, don't worry about small IQs. World needs burger flippers too.
>>
IQ is a fucking meme
everytime I see this shit I feel like never coming back here
>>
>>7774164
>I'm studying lower level maths. I'm improving a lot in it, but it's not higher stuff, Stuff that should be easy, such as finding the co-ordinates of a point on a circle, is tough for me,

How many times have you done the problem? Do it 100-200 times. Come back after that and tell me it's difficult.
>>
>>7774172

What are you studying?
>>
http://personal.lse.ac.uk/kanazawa/pdfs/i2011.pdf

>s, physical attractiveness
is significantly positively associated with general
intelligence, both with and without controls for social class,
body size, and health. Both in the UK and in the US, the
association between physical attractiveness and general
intelligence is stronger among men than among women. In
the UK, physically attractive men have higher IQ by 13.6
points, whereas physically attractive women have higher IQ
by 11.4 IQ points. These mean differences imply bivariate
correlation coefficients of r= .351 among women and
r= .414 among men. Physical attractiveness is more strongly
associated with general intelligence than any other variable
included in the equations. However, the relatively weak
measure of physical attractiveness in the NCDS data is likely
to attenuate the true association between general intelligence
and physical attractiveness
>>
>>7774176
>inb4 CS
>>
>>7774180
>r= .351 among women and
>r= .414 among men.

That's very low. What a shitty study.
>>
>>7774164
You're studying lower level maths and already calling yourself out of the race just because you're having trouble with it? Newsflash buddy, everybody (with the exception of a few) has trouble with math at some point. It doesn't mean you're dumb, it doesn't mean you're incapable, all it means is that you're trying to understand a concept that is foreign to you. If you really wanted to learn and understand, you wouldn't be posting on 4chan about this issue, because you would have already realized that all it takes is determination and hard work.

My advice, get off 4chan, open your book, and start applying yourself. Oh, and drop the defeatism attitude, that's probably one of the most unattractive things in the world.
>>
>>7774189

>very wise and reasonable advice on /sci/

What's going on???
>>
>>7774174
I suppose so.

I only have six months until my final secondary school exams (yes, I'm legal age. I repeated the year because I wanted to increase the amount of points in Maths and Chemistry as well as English before college,) to git gud in the entire Maths course.

Is six months enough time to get a B in ordinary level (mid-tier Maths. It goes Foundation level (retard level), Ordinary level and Higher level) if I study 5 days a week?

Sorry if some of that is confusing.
>>
>>7774189
This guy gets it
>>
>>7774180
>Implying Chads and Stacies are intelligent.
>>
>>7774194
Six months is more than enough time. Use the right resources and work hard.
>>
>>7774194

Just study 2-3 hours every day. Give yourself 1 or 2 days off per month. Reward yourself with something after you're done with studying for the day.
>>
>>7774204
>>7774207
Yeah, I've really been putting in work lately. I'll keep it up, though. Thanks, lads.
>>
>>7774188
>>r= .351 among women and
>>r= .414 among men.
>That's very low. What a shitty study.

Look at this faggot who is talking about statistics, and hasn't even taken an intro level statistics class.
>>
>>7774122
Youre problem is that you're sitting on your ass and using your IQ as an excuse.
>>
Learn how to play chess and start playing others. Study their tactics, think ahead on what you and they will do, run simulations of what could happen ahead of time, your IQ will increase because you will then see an issue from many angles, be able to think ahead better, and strategic skills will improve.
>>
>>7774231

They're closer to 0 than 1. That suggests there's hardly any correlation. Shitty study.
>>
>>7774257
Playing chess makes you good at playing chess.
>>
>>7774096
Are you basing this off of an online IQ test? Most of the online ones are illegitimate because they only measure one factor of intelligence, instead of the multiple styles they should measure (spatial, verbal, etc.)

Even if you did it professionally, I doubt you have much to worry about. An IQ of 114 is definitely enough to become proficient in your field of choice. Will you be the best scientist of all time, making discoveries that cause dozens of fields to expand exponentially? Probably not. But you will be able to contribute to new discoveries if you work hard, even if your findings aren't the grandest things ever.
>>
>>7774153
Agreed, I have 141 and I'm studying physics. The only difference between me and most of my friends is that I understand stuff quicker. You just have to put in more work
>>
>>7774112
this guy is right
i've a 141 clinical iq
i'm lazy as fuck and contribute nothing to society but CRUD apps for corporate wagemasters
>>
>>7774112
So you saying people with natural talent don't work hard?

I have a feeling all these "smart but lazy" guys are not actually as smart as they think.
>>
>>7774465
I found the "smart but lazy" fag everyone

*raises pitchfork
>>
>>7774465

People with natural talent that do no work, yes.
>>
>>7774465
>natural talent
I hate this, there is the measurable "IQ" and the more difficult to measure "creativity" that will help a person excel at something, but "talent" is just enthusiasm + these things.
The word drives me crazy, anyone I know who was talented at something was talented because they loved it and while they might not have been doing it for school or Uni would take an interest in it and all things related to it and learn about them or sample them at any oppertunity.
>>
>>7774503

Just say effort and have disciplined themselves habits that lead them to success. I know many guys in my engineering classes who are doing really well and they just attribute this to planning before the semester starts, relearning old material, setting up a schedule for the entire semester and just reviewing whatever was taught in class that week.

It isn't hard at all and if more people did this, their grades would be a lot higher. The people who are the naturally talented are just people who do things with the least amount of work down the line.
>>
File: 1452435956399.png (56 KB, 500x363) Image search: [Google]
1452435956399.png
56 KB, 500x363
>>7774354
Being smart doesn't mean that they are wise.

I'm pretty sure once you gain enough knowledge in a specific field you can do leaps and bounds when making discoveries and changing the landscape of the scientific community, maybe even the world.

The more you know, the more you learn the more you can do right?
>>
There is no gene for the human spirit anon.
>>
>>7774112
>Hard work beats natural talent every time
Cool history bro
>>
>>7774096
Iq of 139 here with very severe adhd
Try being smart but also an unmotivated piece of shit that has to put stickers on everything and time himself to get the dishes done. Doesn't feel to good.
>>
>>7774974
>adhd real
>no motivation yet claims to time his dish doings
seems legit
>>
>>7774960
>Talent beats hard work every time

Cewl story. Bobo
>>
>>7774985
Can't tell if trolling or genuinely ignorant.
ADHD being a disease of exucutive function, causes the sufferer to lack internal motivation. No matter how much I want to do something or care about it I have trouble bringing myself to do it. I have found that external motivation (stickers,timing myself) helps alot, butt that isnt enough by itself i still require medication .
>>
>>7775008
timing yourself is still internal motivation..
>>
>>7774259
If there was a more accurate way of measuring attractiveness, the correlation could easily get closer to 1 than 0.

Stay mad, facelet :^)
>>
>>7775020
Maybe you would better understand if I replaced the word motivation with "drive. I want to accomplish something butt lack the drive to get it done. This is what is meant by motivation.
I really don't have the drive to try to explain this to a stupid person, I don't really want to either.
>>
>>7775031
>mfw dont have drive to do shit

Could you elaborate ?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.