[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When electricity passes through a resistor, some of it is dissapated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
When electricity passes through a resistor, some of it is dissapated as heat.
How much heat does one watt of electricity produce?
Pic unrelated
>>
>>7768313
>How much heat does one watt of electricity produce?

One watt.
>>
>>7768313
0.000526565066840732 degrees Celsius per second.
>>
Heat is energy

Power is the rate of energy use over time

One watt is one Joule per second

To answer OP's question we need more information (like the fucking resistance)
>>
OP you clearly haven't studied or got a good enough handle on this type of stuff to ask this question.

Watts are energy over time. To cover this to heat you will have to at least know the amount of solid to be hated as well as the specific heat of the material.

And even then it wouldn't be releasing heat by itself. It would have be rate of heat release.
>>
all of it op, that's the point of a resistor. the energy is converted into heat. how much heat depends on the voltage and the resistance + size of the resistor
>>
>>7768313
>When electricity passes through a resistor, some of it is dissapated as heat.
You got the first part right, but no "electricity" is dissipated. You should think of it as the electrons bumping into the metal atoms, giving some of their energy to the wire and causing it to heat up. Energy is what is being dissipated here, not electricity.

>How much heat does one watt of electricity produce?
Heat == energy. One Watt is one Joule of energy per second. Again, energy is being dissipated, not electricity.
>>
>>7768313
depends on the resistor.
>>
>>7768348
>>7768371
>.7768371▶
>>7768717

OP here. Just a standard resistor. The kind you'd find in a small circuit, like a coffee maker.
>>
>>7768721
the answer is don't be lazy and calculate it yourself

you also never really specified what units you're talking about. "heat" can be any number of things
>>
>>7768748
How many scoval units
>>
>>7768748
heat, like in kcal given off that raises temperature, duh #autism
>>
>>7768756
it's not autism, the Watt is a rate and kcal is not. so it's impossible to tell what you want. probably because you're retarded

it also depends on the material and size of the resistor
>>
>>7768759
It's just made out of regular resister stuff, like you'd buy at radioshack. It's one of the brown ones with black and red stripes.
>>
File: 1350628547889.jpg (73 KB, 454x459) Image search: [Google]
1350628547889.jpg
73 KB, 454x459
>>7768754
I had a great fucking chuckle over this post.
>>
The answer is 1 Watt you fucking idiots. That's what a resistor does.
>>
File: 3045704651_fd5ce3eca4.jpg (77 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
3045704651_fd5ce3eca4.jpg
77 KB, 500x375
>>7768721
>Just a standard resistor.
>>
>>7768721
Are you retarded on purpose?
>>
File: Z9kdX.jpg (83 KB, 630x582) Image search: [Google]
Z9kdX.jpg
83 KB, 630x582
>>7768721
>standard resistor
Which one faggot?
>>
Heat is energy (Joules).
Given a resistor of value R with a voltage V through it, it consumes (or produces, depends on sign convention) power P = V2/R Watts.
Alternatively, if current I is flowing through the resistor, power consumed is P = I2*R Watts.
Watts are Joules per second (J/s).
After t seconds, the resistor has produced P*t Joules.
>>
>>7770894
V squared and I squared, posting from mobile
>>
>>7768721
>>7768769

There is no standard value, you pick depending on the circuit you're designing.

Radio Shack carries multiple values, pay closer attention next time you go.
>>
>>7770894
It isnt V^2 its V and its I^2
Thats why electricity is transmitted on grids at hundreds of kV (depending on the country) because increasing voltage produces a smaller increase in heat than increasing current and so it is best to transmit current at high voltage and low current rather than high current and low voltage.
This is one of the reasons we use AC too, because its so easy to increase and decrease the voltage.
>>
>>7768721
Could you possibly supply a more generic answer than this?
>>
>>7768313
I^2 * R * t = H
>>
>>7768769
Which stripes and in what order?

Saying a "standard resistor" is deeply silly; it's like saying "standard screw". There's no such thing.

The amount of power dissipated by the resistor depends on its resistance. The colored bands are a code to tell you the resistance.

Also, resistors dissipate different amounts depending on the current and the voltage; there's an infinite range of possible currents and voltages that combine to make 1 Watt.
>>
File: Resistor_color_codes.jpg (155 KB, 1447x1000) Image search: [Google]
Resistor_color_codes.jpg
155 KB, 1447x1000
As >>7770780 showed, there's a slew of "standard" values. If you have a specific one in mind, here's how you read its value.

Keep in mind, this is spoonfeeding at its finest. Lurk moar
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.