[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good introductory text?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: cover2.png (225 KB, 300x384) Image search: [Google]
cover2.png
225 KB, 300x384
Is this a good introductory text?
>>
>>7763550
My used it.

Has a very well refined pedagogy, the author puts real effort in to trying to help students understand the material instead of just trying to impress other physicists.

Very comprehensive for an introductory text. My edition including intro to SR, QM and particle physics.

/sci/ elitists will tell you it's utter shit and to get a real textbook.
>>
>>7763558
My programme* used it.
>>
>>7763550
>Walker

Get the version with KRANE
>>
Jearl Walker?

I loved his "Flying Circus of Physics" as a kid.
>>
depends - if you schooling was in USA then yes, if your schooling was in Europe or Asia where they actually learn about physics in school, then it reads more like kindergarten material
>>
>>7763878
>implying these books aren't used in undergrad in europe...
Have you been to a university in Europe recently? First year of undergrad is basicly highschool now
>>
I would recomend a book called "Physics for scientist and engineers" by Tipler and Mosca. It is a very comprensible book and goes through almost all the physics fields.
>>
>>7763878
>>7763874
I think people confuse Walker's earlier book with his authorship of Halliday/Resnick's legacy book, the former is intended for high-school/pre uni, the latter is intended for first year introductory physics.

Many European physics departments do indeed use Walker for their 100 level classes.
>>
i just downloaded that book and most of it is highschool physics. How is this an undergrad book? Just for a quick recap of all topics or something?
>>
>>7766216
>EM with all Maxwell's PDE laws.
>SR
>QM
>Standard Model

What high-school did you attend?
>>
>>7766227
i scrolled further and saw some new shit so ur right i was too quick to judge
>>
>>7763550
You are now aware the front cover of that book looks like a guy with severe high-pressure diarrhea.
>>
http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Scientists-Engineers-Modern-Chapters/dp/1439048444/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1452134552&sr=8-5&keywords=physics+for+scientists+and+engineers

How's this book for Physics? The book is a requirement for Physics I class.
>>
>>7763550

One of the teachers in my CC is using this book, so I downloaded it and will read it and do the problems for the next two weeks. My professor in that CC still hasn't posted what book we are suppose to use.
>>
>>7763894
Our first year physics classes still use the Demtröder like they did 10 years ago.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.