[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How could you possibly argue against majoring in Mechanical Engineering?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 14
File: asf.jpg (31 KB, 400x294) Image search: [Google]
asf.jpg
31 KB, 400x294
How could you possibly argue against majoring in Mechanical Engineering? It is the best major.
>>
>>7763157
Well for one, I am not interested in the subject of Mechanical Engineering.
>>
>>7763157

There are, in fact, other jobs to be done in society that Mechanical Engineering training does not qualify one for.
>>
>>7763157
mechanical engineering<mechatronic engineering
>>
>>7763158
Being a plebeian does not grant you weight in this discussion.
>>
>>7763160
real engineering>memeatronics memegineering
>>
>>7763162
I have no interest in designing and/or building machines.
>>
>he has no interest in being a god
oh
>>
>>7763162
>implying best major thread isn't full pleb shitposting
>>
>>7763157
Simple
>you have to take Chemistry
>>
>>7763181
At my university, you take Chemistry with almost every engineering major. We're top 20 for engineering in the USA.
>>
>>7763162
>>7763157 (OP)
>mechanical engineering
>best major
OH MAN I CANT WAIT TO SIT AND STARE AT THIS MILD STEEL PIPE FLANGE IN AUTOCAD ALL DAY

AND IF I CHOOSE TO DO FIELD/MAINTENANCE WORK INSTEAD OF BEING A CUBICLE ZOMBIE I GET TO BE A GLORIFIED RIG PIG WITH TWICE THE RESPONSIBILITIES, HALF THE RESPECT AND MARGINALLY BETTER PAY.

SURE IS FUN TO DEAL WITH THAT PIECE OF SHIT 40-YEAR-OLD HEAT EXCHANGER THAT MY COMPANY IS TOO CHEAP TO REPLACE BECAUSE MY EXPERTISE IS VIEWED AS AN EXPENDITURE RATHER THAN AN ASSET

MAYBE IF TIMES GET REALLY TOUGH I CAN TAKE A JOB MAKING SURE STRUCTURAL STEEL I-BEAMS ARE MADE AND FITTED TO SPEC OH MAN THIS IS REALLY THE MOST RIVETING FIELD

SO MUCH EXCITING

TRULY GOD TIER
>>
>>7763196
pro-tip college-aged anon: most white-collar jobs are in cubicles. go be an electrician or something
>>
>>7763181
I know that feel.
>UC Berkeley
>Chem 1A murders people (people have actually killed themselves)
>MFW I got an A
>>
>>7763219
Apparently I'm the only one that thinks this, but if any significant fraction of the class is doing poorly, it should be an indicator of the professor's poor teaching. The purpose of a university is to be an institution of higher learning, not an academic hunger games where you deliberately do a poor job instructing so as to "weed people out."
>>
>>7763204
No shit, but at least the "desk work" in other engineering fields is more exciting than being a glorified draftsman, which is what a lot of MEs end up doing.

I worked as a tradesman and there's a reason I decided to go into EE instead of ME.
>>
>>7763225
If a significant amount of the class wasn't doing poorly, it would be a sign that the professor sucked. The goal is to teach over the heads of most kids, so they study hard, learn as much as they would anywhere else, and then do proportionately well on the tests. If it were any other way, the top students would not stand out. Everyone at Cal is a good student, some are just stronger than others.
>>
File: 1450510943616.gif (571 KB, 431x562) Image search: [Google]
1450510943616.gif
571 KB, 431x562
Aerospace Engineering is a billion times better than Mechanical Engineering, scrub.
>>
>>7763228
>My specialized version of MechE is better than the field it is a subset of!!!
>>
>>7763229
as long as you understand it's inferior i could care less how you rationalize it.
>>
>>7763226
lol wtf are you even talking about. engineers all do the same shit in their respective field you fucking nutter
>>
>>7763226
>there's a reason I decided to go into EE instead of ME

and that reason is? I think you're going to be surprised.
>>
>>7763232
Good to know you care.
>>
>>7763228
lmao many, many guys in aerospace industry will tell you that most of their peers are ME.
>>
> how could you possibly argue against something I want to do but other people may not want to do for the rest of their life

Hep, sounds like a mechanical engineer
>>
>>7763157
Maybe difficult to see from your point of view, but you, not everyone likes dick. Some of us are, believe it or not, hetero sexual and we actually dislike dicks in our mouth.
>>
Sorry guys.
I meant Informatic Engineer.
>>
>>7763196
This is exactly why I changed majors.
>>
File: Dohfus.png (765 KB, 1257x903) Image search: [Google]
Dohfus.png
765 KB, 1257x903
>HEY GUYS, LET'S ALL COUNT TO 12, IT'S DOH BEST SYSTEM!

ITT: These faggots.
Why?
>>
File: floorbeams.jpg (75 KB, 678x694) Image search: [Google]
floorbeams.jpg
75 KB, 678x694
>>7763196
>STRUCTURAL STEEL I-BEAMS
>THE MOST RIVETING FIELD
i see what you did there.
>>
>>7763157
>Mechanical Engineering is the best major.

Sure it is.
That's why when you grow up, and meet a nice young woman, and perhaps even lose your virginity, and have a little baby girl, and then when she gets sick, you can go and take her to a mechanical engineer to have her cured.
>>
>>7763189
>We're top 20 for engineering in the USA.

And why did you feel that it was important to tell us this?
>>
>Be EE
>am forced to take ME bullshit
ME is fucking garbage tier
>>
>>7763225
>Apparently I'm the only one that thinks this, but if any significant fraction of the class is doing poorly, it should be an indicator of the professor's poor teaching. The purpose of a university is to be an institution of higher learning, not an academic hunger games where you deliberately do a poor job instructing so as to "weed people out."

Please stop posting and return to your "safe space".
This sort of thinking is what is ruining education in this country.
>>
>>7763227
>Everyone at Cal is a good student

You don't actually believe this, do you?
>>
>>7764175
They're good in that pretty much everyone had a 4.0/>2000 SAT / >30 ACT

At most universities, that's a "good student". That doesn't mean they're smart.
>>
File: curie.png (443 KB, 620x574) Image search: [Google]
curie.png
443 KB, 620x574
>>7764164
>not dating a synth
>>7763160 was right. Mechatronic engineering truly is the master race
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-05+at+12.13.49).png (22 KB, 596x275) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-05+at+12.13.49).png
22 KB, 596x275
>>7764164
Well, to be fair, many of the devices doctors use to treat patients are a product of mechanical engineering. I'm not saying that the procedure itself was created by an ME, but you can't deny their significance in assisting the field.
>>
File: baka.gif (78 KB, 182x250) Image search: [Google]
baka.gif
78 KB, 182x250
>>7764177
>poor disguised "i'm smart but lazy"
>just because they get good grades doesn't make them intelligent
>i get shit grades and go to a a third rate state school but I get to conveniently and arbitrarily decide that my academic betters at prestigious schools are not smart
baka
>>
>>7764193
I can't tell if you're referring to Cal as a third rate school or if you misinterpreted my post. My whole point was that not every kid at Cal is smart (true by experience, since I go there and know many if them), but they put in work. The professor's job is to asses how intelligent/well qualified they are.
>>
>>7763157
Because you can work on cars without getting a piece of paper and four years of debt anon.
>>
>>7763196
Literally every field of engineering is this.
>>
>>7764211
My bad senpai, I didn't read all the way back to your original post and thought you were some butthurt sour grapes kid spouting off about "well not everyone at MIT/Cal/Stanford/Carnegie Mellon is a genius, therefore I'm on the same level as them"

why is shitposting and being toxic so addicting?
>>
>>7764169
have fun competing with those H1-B visas, anon. p sure your future growth is literally -1% lmao fucking accountants even being the 3rd most popular major have a higher growth than you guys do
>>
>>7763196
Lol you're clearly still in college or high school
>>
Why doesn't gene therapy / genetic engineering get more discussion on here?
>>
>>7764635
People on this board are too scared to think of a new generation being smarter than them. Or anybody for that matter.
>>
>>7764281
>>7764281
Butt hurt ME that couldn't make it as an EE wizrad
>>
File: 1445164483224.png (497 KB, 879x879) Image search: [Google]
1445164483224.png
497 KB, 879x879
>>7763219
>take intro chemistry my first semester
>get an A in terms of exams, homework, etc.
>get a B overall because I'm a fucking retard at labs and have no idea what I'm doing
>>
>>7763228
My school doesn't offer aerospace at the bachelors level (and I want to have broad appeal just to be safe), but if I get a Masters it's either that or something robotics related.

While I'm at it, are engineering PhD's worth it or not really? Hell, are Masters worth it?
>>
>>7764281
ME here, am I safe from the DESIGNATED?
>>
>>7764760
EE is the most popular engineering degree, ME has always been safe because over in fish head land and shit in street world, they look at technology only as electronics. go to any ME class, it's mostly white guys. go to any EE class, it may be up to half Pajeets and Wi Dongs because they're pushed into "technology" AKA /g/
>>
>>7764671
>EE
>wizards
I guess indians and chinese people are wizards, then
>>
>>7763196
>tfw mechanical engineering student on a co-op term and this is my job
>>
Mechatronics is literally the reddit of engineering.
>>
>>7763157

No, Railroad Engineering is clearly the best engineering.
>>
>>7763196
yeah, and business is the exact same thing, but with even more middle management, and less work to do.
>>
>>7763196
congratulations, underage faggot. You've just realized why people pay you to work.

JOBS SUCK

get used to it, kid. Start a business, be your own boss, and grow your name, or get a fucking job and do the shit that I have to pay someone 85K a year to even do because it sucks so hard.
>>
File: image.jpg (178 KB, 750x1105) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
178 KB, 750x1105
>>7765071
>railroad engineering is clearly the best engineering
That's where you're wrong, you know what's the best engineering?
Hotel Management
>>
How does CompE fair in all of this?
>>
>>7763196

This is pretty much it for the first year or two of working. After I got a bit of seniority though and started running my own team things brightened up. Actually managed to get out of oil and gas and into military R&D. Leading my own project crew right now, having a blast.

Just remember Mech E is the broadest of the broad when it comes to the job spectrum. You have a pretty narrow view of what a mechanical engineer can do, although you were spot on about my first 2 years, that was it in a nutshell!
>>
>>7763181
>mfw took AP chem in highschool and chem 1A was the easiest thing in my life
>>
>>7764708
Depends on how much money you have/will have, and if you get bored of only having a job
>>
>>7763157
Freshman at Notre Dame taking MechEng. Currently not learning a lot of things because of First Year Studies. What should I expect going into the major?
>>
>>7765346
expect it to get extremely hard by second year and see half of your classmates gone by then
>>
>>7763157
Its getting saturated as fuck tbqh so enjoy your low wages by the time you graduate.
>>
File: 1450805283253.jpg (112 KB, 675x949) Image search: [Google]
1450805283253.jpg
112 KB, 675x949
>>7763219
>tfw when HS credit for chem all the way up to orgo
>>
>>7764652
cool meme bro but I'm being serious
>>
>>7763157
Because one has the opportunity to major in philosophy.
>>
>>7765237
actually looking to do exactly this, how do you into military R&D. it seems a bit out there and i wouldn't know where to start
>>
>>7766302
I know the advice I've heard for any military job is join the military. It helps with security clearance, and depending on what you wish to learn, the chair force isn't bad.
>>
>>7766451
>join the military
Possibly the worst advice you can give someone
>>
>>7766483
I'm not saying he run out and join. I'm saying military experience helps with security clearance, and getting much of the experience he would need.
>>
>>7763157
but thats a picture of bill gates....also get that meme degree the fuck out of here
>>
>>7766638
>>7766483
>>7766451
I don't want to actually be in a military combat setting. Nor work in the army as maintenance. more looking to work in design from a cushy chair. to the guy in R&D did you get there through the military system?.
>>
>>7765450
Ayy same
>>
>>7766483
Totally not true. The military is what you make of it. If you're the kid of person with a low bullshit tolerance and expect everyone to be book smart, then you'll probably be the kind of person that hates the military. That's fine. But there's a lot of people who have a different skill set that do very well in the military. Technical knowledge and experience are far more valuable to service members than your GPA was.

For some people yes, joining their country's military is a decidedly bad idea and not the right career choice, but there are others who do well in it.
>>
>>7768024
This. The majority of people who suffer in the military are those who are antisocial to the point that they can't cooperate with other people, and are lazy to the point that they can't work a basic convenience store job.

The military is demanding as all hell, but after a certain point you adjust to the demand, and many people I know who have gone through with their service feel they are better for it.
>>
>>7767404
>more looking to work in design from a cushy chair
The majority of engineering jobs are exactly this only instead of cushy you are in a cubicle, and instead of the design you are doing is simplistic, and not actually worth much. This would likely only be the first 3-5 years, but it's still something you're expected to go through. After that you can expect more cushy.
>>
>tfw maths student whos transferring to Engineering this fall
>have no fucking idea what branch to go in
I want to go for a master's and get into either robotics or semiconductors, but I don't want to finish education and realize I can't find a job with my degree.

Also why is mechatronics meme-tier?
>>
Mech E + MBA = God-tier salary
>>
>>7768706
CompE could be what you are looking for but it is extremely dependent on what school you go to.

In some school CompE is EE with 3-4 CS classes.
Other schools it is equal parts EE and CS
In rare cases it is CS with 2-3 classes of EE.
>>
hallo wie geht es euch
>>
How's Psychology as a major?
>>
>>7768837
Terrible. Anything less than a PhD will make the degree worth less than a BA in history. Even once you have the PhD the cost taken on will not make the money worth it.

I considered it years ago, but just like a history degree it is better to take up learning the material on your own time. The most interesting and valuable parts of psychology are the parts never actually applied in medicine meaning you can learn most of it in your free time which if you care about psychology at all you will do.
>>
You get to learn everything that physics majors learn (intro to physics) and pure mathematics majors (calc I/II) while having more job opportunities than all other STEM majors
>>
>>7768857
> it is better to take up learning the material on your own time

But every job wants at least a bachelors+
>>
>>7768869
Not for a job, anon. You don't spend your time researching the Zhou Dynasty in your freetime for a history job. You do it because you love the subject. Same thing goes for psychology. The jobs themselves are ass, and will bankrupt you. It is better to research the material out of your own personal enjoyment. If you don't enjoy the subject enough to do this then you shouldn't even have been considering a degree in psychology anyway.
>>
>>7768875

But how will I live, anon? I need money to survive in this world.
>>
>>7768882
Find a practical career in a subject you enjoy, then get a degree in that.

I'm not saying don't go to college. I'm saying don't go to college for psych. I doubt psych is all that interests you.
>>
>>7768889

Well, I wanted to help children with their mental health. What if I go to a state school for Psychology and just work my way up while going to graduate schools that are much cheaper?
>>
>>7768939
That is your own choice. If the actual aid of a patient is your goal then your best option is to endure the hell that will be a psychology degree. Look into if any place will accept just a BA. It is unlikely, but it is worth a shot. If they won't, the PhD is an option but don't expect it to be cheap. Engineering PhDs are usually in the safe zone because getting funded isn't too hard, but with psychology you have a snowballs chance in hell of getting funded and will be paying out of pocket. On top of this, the pay when you come out will be sub-par, and you shouldn't expect to drop any loans in a short amount of time.
>>
>>7768806
In Canada engineering schools can be accredited which means theyre approved by the government for meeting or going above professional expectations. If I go into CE in an accredited school I'm thinking I should be fine.
>>
>>7768961
>CE
While many will understand what your are talking about, I suggest using CompE instead of CE.

I've ran into cases using CE where people think I'm doing Civil Engineering which is trash tier.
>>
>>7768978
Why is civil trash, is it not the most important branch albeit the most boring?
>>
>>7769128
Civil Engineering is in its own area, and can't really be put with the other engineering fields.
It is the lowest tier of engineering, and isn't something you want confused with Computer Engineering. If you're into civil that is fine. I'm just saying this for clarity purposes.
>>
>>7769245
Why is it the lowest tier? I don't have any interest in it, but is it because it's easy?
>>
>>7769315
>because it's easy
Sort of. It more has to do with how much "engineering" CEs actually do. It's a very low pay degree that covers fuck all of actual engineering. When compared to things like ME, EE, CompE, or NE, CE is basic bitch trash that is scraping the title of engineer.

Engineers like to argue over which branch is better, and a lot of it is just a pissing match, but CE is legitimately ass.
>>
>>7769330
Well that's new, isn't civil the oldest branch next to mechanical?

I'm mostly stuck between electrical, mechanical and computer, but it seems like EE and CompE cover a lot of the same branches.
>>
>>7768939
become a teacher. plenty of demand for them + you can work with kids. Also there are avenues to combine teaching with child psychology
>>
>>7763164
>memeatronics memegineering
Holy shit I laughed way too hard at that. Thank you anon
>>
>>7769128
glorified construction workers / architects
>>
I'mma do electrical engineering.
>>
>>7769373
yes it is the oldest, because even the ancient greeks and romans could do what CEs can do. Its fine if you're okay with being guaranteed to spend your days reinventing the wheel
>>
>Cal
cal poly? cal state? what are you talking about?
>>
>>7769431
"Cal" usually refers to UC Berkeley.
>>
>>7769441
>going to berkeley for engineering
what a waste of money
>>
>>7763157
ME is good. EE is better but it's not for everyone.
>>
>>7765222
is EE but you code more.

Meaning your job is actually more at risk from being outsourced. To be honest, Asians and Indians suck at hardware.
>>
>>7766638
>>7766451
Bro the DoD security clearance is really not that hard to get. If you were born here and your parents aren't terrorists or convicted felons you're most likely fine.

Source: have DoD security clearance.
>>
>>7768706
>>7768806
Semiconductors is more the range of EE. Anything where you get into physics of how the materials actually work is EE. As far as robotics goes, it depends on what part of the robots you want to make. The programming and "AI" will obviously be CE, but there still would be a lot of EE work needed.

Do you wanna code (CE) or do you wanna build circuits (EE) or both (also EE)?
>>
>>7768709
Any engineering + MBA is a great choice.
>>
>>7769445
where would you go on the west coast
>>
>>7769495
Caltech
>>
File: oski2 (1).jpg (19 KB, 275x400) Image search: [Google]
oski2 (1).jpg
19 KB, 275x400
>>7769445
>MFW Cal is the 3rd Best ME program in the world
>>
>>7769520
Caltech sucks absolute ass for engineering when compared objectively to Berkeley.
>>
>>7769525
And only $11,000/yr for in state tuition.
>>
>>7769531
Or, if your father is a veteran (as is mine), free. The net cost is like 8k a year.
>>
>>7769529
Says anon who'll never get to work in JPL.
>>
>>7769529
I like how you said
>for engineering
>i can't overstep what i say
>>
>>7769495
cal poly obviously
>>
>2016
>majoring in engineering

your literally a dime a dozen
>>
>>7769553
that's business
>>
>>7763196
>mfw I first get out of school and my first position is this boring.

Luckily my first position was with a big defense contractor and a few years later I was able to move into a different position. I found that doing structural analysis (FEA) was better for me since I got to use what I learned in school. We considered the design ME's to be catalog jockeys.

Be warned that with globalization companies love to outsource ME work, and even though defense companies can't it still keeps our wages lower since there's more of us looking for work.

If I had to do it all over again I'll probably would've been a doctor
>>
>>7769589
>If I had to do it all over again I'll probably would've been a doctor

Are you serious, anon? Becoming a doctor is way more bullshit than becoming an engineer. Staying up for 80 hours a week doing that resident stuff would just be a nightmare. I considered it, but when you ask guys that actually did it who regret it, they really regret it. You can't change your mind. Once you're in medical school, you're stuck there unless your parents are fucking legitimately loaded. Plus, at the end of the day, a doctors career is only like 25 years maximum, and the debts aren't paid off until years after they're actually a licensed physician.
>>
File: creepOldguy.jpg (687 KB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
creepOldguy.jpg
687 KB, 3000x2000
>>7769595
I just feel like there would be more job security. I don't know could be wrong.

I'm trying to figure out a way to start my own business and get out of ME.
>>
>>7769553
There are literally more math majors than most engineers in most disciplines.

Engineers are special snowflakes, deal with it.
>>
>>7769836
Dude we're a dime a dozen. Look beyond you're own school. There are thousands of dot heads and chicoms willing and able to do engineering work for much less. And don't forget the poor slavs like Poland
>>
>>7769461
I wanna do both desu
>>
>>7763157
> studied civil engineering and finance
> got a sweet job as an investment analyst 2 months out of uni with 80k + super (australian here)

step it up senpai

If you wanna separate yourself and not stuck in mundane technical shit like >>7763196, study something business-y like commerce or an MBA. Employers are more likely to look at you for management positions.

Hell, you may find you enjoy business more than engineering.
>>
>>7768806
>>7769461
Again, check your colleges class list for the degree. At mine, the CompE course was a copy of the EE course minus 2-3 late end math classes with 5-6 CS classes swapped in.

Now I do know that in cases like these the college will probably let you dual major considering it's only a few classes extra to get both degrees.
>>
How are these college's curriculum for CompE major?

http://www.cpp.edu/~ece/program/CPE_15-16.pdf

http://arweb.sdsu.edu/es/admissions/majors/computerengr.htm

http://web.csulb.edu/divisions/aa/catalog/current/coe/computer_engineering/cecsbs02.html
>>
>>7763157
I had amtah teacher who majored in engineering and was making a shit ton of money but he said the work bored the crap out of him so much so that he started facing serious depression, so he said fuck it, quit his high paying job and became a math teacher instead.
>>
>>7769866
do you seriously believe that you would have gotten that job without a degree in engineering to compliment yourself?

Finance is one of the top 10 most popular degrees. There is no way you're getting anywhere without having some special shit on your resume or connections.
>>
>>7769866

Can I get a degree in compE and a minor in business, or should I double major?
>>
On the first day of my sophomore year internship, my boss said to me "every mechanical engineer aspires to become an electrical controls engineer"
>>
>>7770381
Double majors are a bitch. Minors are mostly irrelevant.

Get a CompE degree and then get an MBA.
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.