[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does modern media effect 4chan users vs "normal" people?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
How does modern media effect 4chan users vs "normal" people?
>>
>>7758518
is that science topic according to you
>>
>>7758527
Yes, analysis of environmental influences on vastly different segments of human life sounds scientific to me.
>>
>>7758527

Just because the thread isn't about interuniversal teichmüller or neil tyson doesn't mean it isn't science you meme loving fuck
>>
>>7758518
define modern media

I never watch TV, I despise TV actually. This coincides with the moment I decided to get rid of all advertisement in my life and started using my computer much more often.
>>
>>7758547

Television/cinema, visual art, music, radio, and literature in the modern age. I would extend the range to the last generation's birth (~1983) and 10 years into the future (2026).

Television is the most glaring of influential art forms, since it is most accessible, but I'm not sure how many 4chan types actually listen to radio programming relative to "normals."
>>
I recently saw that 'We Are Legion' documentary about Anonymous. It was shit, but watching normies try to explain 4chan was funny because you see how high a tolerance everyone here has for deranged shit to a degree that is completely unthinkable to your average normalfag.

We're probably way more desensitised.
>>
>>7758568
>you see how high a tolerance everyone here has for deranged shit to a degree that is completely unthinkable to your average normalfag.

I'm horrified that now I'm in the workforce amongst other "highly educated" people, that I will slip up and "show my power level" or drop an opinion that isn't PC.
>>
>>7758547

Yeah I'm the same. When I go over to my parent's or a friend's that have TV I have to mute the advertisements because I'd just begin to rage, the commercials are louder than the show you're watching, they keep repeating the same ones, they try to be either funny but fail or obnoxious and have nothing to do with the product or service that they're pitching, AND, I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY SHOW THEM EVEN IF YOU PAY FOR THE TV SERVICE. For fuck's sakes, free regular radio has commercials, paid satellite radio has no commercials, free TV has commercials, paid TV HAS FUCKING COMMERCIALS!!!

Fucking dicks!
>>
>>7758573
I sometimes catch myself thinking someone is deliberately baiting me by voicing a PC opinion before realising they're probably sincere.
>>
>>7758635
holy shit, its not just you.

I think that CONSTANTLY and then I lose faith in ever building work-relationships. I simply have no desire to be with that sort of PC-controlled type of person (particularly outside of work hours).

I can't really escape this mindset, as the PhD landscape is kind of homogeneous when it comes to politics.
>>
>>7758547
>decided to get rid of all advertisement in my life
Good on you lad.

The funny thing is visiting someone who watches a lot of TV after a while and being aware of how people literally bombard themselves with loud propaganda and find it completely normal.
>>
How I met your mother ended?
>>
4chan users consume primarily sitcoms, and avoid rom-coms.
>>
>>7758647
They fucked up the ending entirely.

They should've had Barney killed while saving his child with Robin or something, then the blue horn thing pretty much verbatim. That ending was so retarded and completely contradictory to the character development of the last two seasons.
>>
>>7758518
Well obviously, the only ones I watch are the ones about terrible people.
Another Period, IASIP, You're the Worst
>>
>>7758659
uh oh.
>>
>>7758649
bbt only
>>
>>7758518
Very relevant POV article:
http://megpoulinindeed.com/2014/03/28/disney-is-ruining-my-kid/
>>
>>7758672
>Every once in a while, they would call me in to watch some joke they thought was “Soooo hilarious, mom!” and I would try not to think about how they should be watching something on the History channel instead.
They would be growing up believing ancient aliens built the pyramids with their UFO mind powers lol.
>>
>>7758672
>>7758682
>wow you dont own a tv, computer or gaming console??? your kids must be geniuses! curious though what do you do with them? i have one device free afternoon and thats a task in itself…

MUH SCREENS R RUININ MUH CHILLINS
>>
>>7758682
I'd much rather have my kid grow up to be Daniel Jackson or Fox Mulder than some mouth breathing autistic Disney kid to be honest.

Have you ever met a Disney Millennial in real life? They can not stop shouting, they (including """"males"""") will cry when everything doesn't go their way, it's bloody surreal that something like that can exist.
>>
>>7758685
Was just reading them, I thought most comments were sarcastic at first.
>>7758688
Over here in yurop it's not so bad but yeah these shows are all drivel obviously.
>>
>>7758672
Walt would be turning in his grave if he would see what the Jews did to his company.
>>
>>7758707
Who is Walt? Like Breaking Bad dad?
>>
>>7758672

When I read this sort of thing, I immediately think: For heaven’s sake don’t send them to public school!!!

We have watched all the Disney classics, new releases, etc. and love them all. The agenda is to entertain the adults in the audience too with humor that goes over the kids head – I enjoy the movies more than my kids do sometimes. I grew up with Disney and so will my kids – planning a trip to Disney World at some point. My kids enjoy Disney as part of a well rounded lifestyle. Not too much of any one thing – not knowing about Disney, latest video games, etc. is a social handicap!
>>
>>7758711
Disney feature films are different from current Disney television. The latter is Nickelodeon tier trash.
>>
File: tired pepe.jpg (6 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
tired pepe.jpg
6 KB, 250x241
>science shows that...
>it's a self-reported survey
>>
>>7758711
Like the other poster said films are decent, the problem is the Disney channel.

Imagine Cartoon Network with 3D people.
>>
>>7758720
How is a survey not scientific? It has data that is used to test a hypothesis and give an accept/do not accept result.
>>
>>7758720
>some people say
>it's actually the reporters quoting themselves
>>
The survey actually just shows that rom-com watchers are delusional idiots (and women) to be honest, which is hardly news.
>>
Watching TBBT makes me feel smarter than the average woman at least
>>
>>7758649
>>7758732
>>7758518
what's a rom-com?
>>
>>7758752
romantic comedy

>>7758737
understandable, since penny is such a dumb dumb
>>
>>7758573

dont worry
had my annual review the other week, they said i had an attitude problem, didnt communicate and had no patience for other staff members, but also my work was of the finest standards and gave me $5,000 bonus

none of that meeting was actually recorded, there was nothing to sign off to say it happened, no commitment to change...
you do the work and dont massively fuck up no one cares what you are like
>>
>>7758711
You're talking about different things. Shit like Frozen or Winnie the Pooh or Disneyworld isn't the same as the stuff on Disney CHANNEL.

Anyway, it's pretty bad.
>>
>>7758754
>romantic comedy
for example?
>>
>>7758908
50 first dates
>>
>>7758584
>paid satellite radio has no commercials,
>paid TV HAS FUCKING COMMERCIALS

TV is much, much more expensive to produce than is radio

And i'm getting sick of all these gift boxes
>>
>>7758518
>4chan users vs "normal" people?
From what I've seen, 4chan users actually are fairly normal. I'd guess perception otherwise is due to confirmation bias, people doing less to "present" themselves (or even negatively presenting themselves), and a lack of barriers to hide the few real wackos.

Also, basically all presentation of science in the media is complete bollocks.
>>
>>7759632
4chan people are pretty normal safe for /b/, /pol and other containment board users.
>>
>>7759657
most people start on /b/ though, so even if they 'grow up' they still have that familiarity and tolerance for that kind of stuff while real normies never got exposed.
>>
>>7759657
>>7759657
Those boards have the highest number of users and therefore most people there are normies, it only happens they talk more bullshit.

The best boards are the less accessible to the public, like diy, his and co for example. There you find serious but fun discussion that would be impossible elsewhere.
>>
>>7759585
>>paid satellite radio has no commercials,

yes it does
>>
>>7758635

Yeah, me too
>>
>>7758573
>drop an opinion that isn't PC.
Like what? Honest question.
>>
>>7760374
"i'm gay, but i honestly think that transsexuals are not mentally sound and they do not belong in a group that is defined by homosexuality."
>>
>>7758636
>PC-controlled
This sounds overly dramatic desu
>>
>>7760378
>that transsexuals are not mentally sound
Not really controversial, depending on which way you mean it.
>and they do not belong in a group that is defined by homosexuality."
Which group? LGBT community?
>>
>>7760393
yes
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.