[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone quickly debunk this tumblr tier bullshit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: Screenshot_2016-01-02-14-33-12-1.png (554 KB, 1080x1077) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-02-14-33-12-1.png
554 KB, 1080x1077
Can someone quickly debunk this tumblr tier bullshit
>>
>did you just scientifically explain soulmates?
>no
>>
>>7758500
Is the part about atoms coming back together true?
>>
>140 728 notes
Man the world is shit.
>>
>>7758509
I don't believe so... especially considering that when atoms aren't together they don't magically get pulled to each other. but that's why I posted here. this shit is so stupid.
>>
>>7758510
I don't think any of these 140k people actually believe it though. I mean c'mon.
>>
>>7758500
debunk it your self. get two atoms put em up real close against each other and then toss them to opposite sides of the universe and see if they come back together in about 13.7 billion years as people who are sexually attracted to each other.
>>
This is trivial and left as an exercise to the reader.
>>
>>7758517
> get two atoms
I don't think it's that easy
>>
>>7758514
>especially considering that when atoms aren't together they don't magically get pulled to each other
they do tho (thats not to say that this isn't retarded)
>>
>>7758519
beat me to it.....
>>
>>7758500
Atoms are constantly flowing into and out of our bodies. That's why we eat, drink, and defecate
>>
>>7758522
The universe is constantly expanding and space between atoms is expanding constantly on average, they really don't.
>>
>>7758521
youre right that was just to get the gist of it. get an entire person and rip them apart into their basic elements somehow, OP is a smart guy he can figure that part out, and then proceed
>>
>>7758519
Motherfucka, that was what I was going to post. Maybe our atoms were also close during the Big Bang?
>>
>>7758532
I will do this myself I suppose
>>
>>7758529
im man enough to admit when I've been told, im just on some Newtonian shit
>>
>>7758500
"My atoms" doesn't really make sense.
You are made of completely different atoms to those you were made of a decade ago, and the replacement is continuous.
I suppose you could say that people change who they're attracted to over time, but this is not consistent with the rate at which you replace your atoms.
>>
>>7758549
Are you implying you've never had shit climb up the toilet bowl, move towards the neighbour's shit and then proceed to watch romantic movies together?
>>
>>7758529
The space between atoms which are close (meaning in the same galaxy) is not expanding.
>>
>>7758500
funny because this is exactly the myth of the androgynous.
Since they were split, they long to find each other and penetrate each other (in more than one sense).
>>
>>7758500
Atoms never touch.
>>
>>7758500
ITT: Nobody understands quantum entanglement

Protip: She's right.
>>
>>7758561
stars would like a word with you
>>
>>7758500
>implying sexual attraction = literally physically being pulled towards someone
>>
>>7758575
How can they be different if they are the referred to by the same word?
>>
File: th.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>7758578
how can can be different from can if they are the referred to by the same word?
>>
>>7758567
So quantum entangled particles attract each other?

shaking my head to be honest family
>>
>>7758553

True and false.

The metric expansion of space reaches the speed of light around 14 billion lightyears of separation. At the distance of about 1 meter, the speed drops to about 10^-18 (one millionth-trillionth) meter per second. At the atomic scale of 10^-10 meter, that speed obviously drops to 10^-28 m/s. Therefore the space between atoms at that scale is expanding at a fantastically small rate, which is completely swamped by normal atomic motion. The space is expanding, but the atoms are moving so much more that you will never observe the separation effect.

The speed of the expansion of the universe only becomes noticeable super-galactically. Nothing structural larger than about 100 million lightyears can remain intact since the speed of the expansion outpaces the common velocities of objects within such structures. That's why galactic superclusters are the largest structures this universe has at this time. Larger than that scale, the universe just becomes randomly filamentary.
>>
>>7758500
Shouldn't the fact that it's on tumblr be enough to disprove it?
>>
>>7758503
Beat me to it
>>
>atoms were near each other when the universe was created
According to the big bang theory, atoms only started to form after shit started cooling down, according to wikipedia "After about 379,000 years the electrons and nuclei combined into atoms (mostly hydrogen)". Most of the non-hydrogen stuff inside you was created inside exploding stars quite a fucking while later.

Unless you expand it to "their energy was near each other", or you expand the time frame until 379,000 years after the big bang, in both cases also accepting fusing of atoms in the meanwhile, it's already bullshit.

Also, if you assume the universe to have started in a singularity, "near each other" stops being significant because /everything/ was near each other.
>>
File: 8de.png (757 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
8de.png
757 KB, 1198x1200
>>7758590
>>
>>7758516
if 3m people read that (5-10% of tumblr) and only people who agreed with it gave it a like or note or w/e then that means something like 5% of people were dumb enough to believe such a thing

its probably closer to 2-3% are dumb enough to believe it but thats not unreasonable
>>
>>7758516
You've never actually been on tumblr or met someone who is often on tumblr, have you?
>>
>>7758596
No, because then you could disprove anything just by posting the assertion on tumblr.
>>
>>7758660
Doesn't 4chan actually suggest that with the phrase "The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact."?
Anything posted here cannot be fact by 4chan's laws which we all must abide by just by being here.
>>
File: motizuki.jpg (124 KB, 657x807) Image search: [Google]
motizuki.jpg
124 KB, 657x807
>>7758652
I don't agree with your assumption that people reblog it because they believe it is actually true. C'mon you think everyone who posts these shitty memes (pic related) on here thinks they are true? No mochizuki is not actually yokozuna of math but it's still worthy of being reposted.
Can't believe I'm sticking it up for tumblrina's on /sci/ but here you go.
>>
There were no atoms near each other when the universe was creaed (whatever it means that it was created).

It is thought that it was impossible for atoms to even form during the first 300,000 years after the Big bang.
>>
Tumblr and reddit are basically two sides of the same coin
>>
File: when you see it.jpg (61 KB, 640x1029) Image search: [Google]
when you see it.jpg
61 KB, 640x1029
>>7758500
Limiting ourselves to the earth, masses of atoms would be scattered all around, in several different people, except that's already too retarded because many atoms would be out in space, and why should be sexually attracted to space quasars or distant planets?

Also all the cells in your body and being replaced continuously. I don't know what the rate of that is, but all the atoms present in your body right now, I can guarantee were NOT present when you were born unless it's a medical apparatus or a piece of solid shrapnel that's stuck in you somehow, which doesn't count because it's not organic living matter, or it DOES count and this theory is even more insane.

Seriously, I am not a STEM guy. I'm a fucking idiot who failed my college exams because I spent all year playing vidya games. It should not be this easy for a piece of shit like me to thoroughly debunk an idea by an adult this easily.
>>
>>7758500
You need an explanation for this
>>
>>7758500
>theory

pop-sci has failed yet again
>>
Atoms do not have memories or feelings. This is just anthromorphisizing bits of energy.

Also using this you could justify beastiality or having your 'soul mate' be a piece of rock, dirt, a puff of ar, or water. In fact water, rock, air and dirt make up more atoms on earth than anything else.
>>
>>7759197
thanks anon. very helpful.
>>
>>7759197

that random outlet is pretty weird
>>
File: Cloud-ffvii-field.png (20 KB, 138x258) Image search: [Google]
Cloud-ffvii-field.png
20 KB, 138x258
>>7758500
Easily debunked - ALL atoms were close to each other in the beginning
>>
>>7759233

But their was no atoms when god created the universe
>>
>>7758514
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_dispersion_force
Go back to Chem I
>>
File: 1384734018596.jpg (7 KB, 222x233) Image search: [Google]
1384734018596.jpg
7 KB, 222x233
>>7758500
Well most of the atoms in your body today won't be there in 20 years, so there's that.

>MFW I just scientifically explained divorce
>>
Based on favored theory all atoms, their constituents really, were close to each other at the beginning of the universe.
>>
File: golden lel.jpg (379 KB, 1111x597) Image search: [Google]
golden lel.jpg
379 KB, 1111x597
>>7758519
>>
>>7758582
better than tago mago desu senpai
>>
>>7759197
>>>7758500
>Limiting ourselves to the earth, masses of atoms would be scattered all around, in several different people, except that's already too retarded because many atoms would be out in space, and why should be sexually attracted to space quasars or distant planets?

I think there are a few people on Tumblr that claim to identify as planets and are planetsexual.

Don't underestimate the degeneracy of that place.
>>
>>7758519
lel
>>
>I have this weird theory
No, it's not a weird theory.
It's a shit-tier speculation.
>>
>>7758552
Maybe once, but I didn't think much of it to be honest.
>>
File: barrett-brown.jpg (135 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
barrett-brown.jpg
135 KB, 630x420
>>7758666
/b/ is not 4chan kys
>>
>>7758500
In about a year every atom in your body would have been exchanged. Not a single atom in your body resides there forever and there is a 100% chance that 1000s of other humans through history held some of the same atoms that you currently hold in your body.

source: http/:)//www(.)scientificamerican(.)com/article/strange-but-true-humans-carry-more-bacterial-cells-than-human-ones/

Hope this helps
>>
>>7759742
>/b/ is not 4chan

That statement is still true of the rest of 4chan though.
>>
And just keep in mind that, if you believe in the big bang that is, all "atoms" or energy at the time were kind of mushed up; Meaning we should all be attracted to each other.
>>
>>7759490
still not as good as soundtracks
>>
What "atoms" werent close together when the universe is "created"?
We are talking an infinitely dense singularity here ffs
>>
>>7759656
>implying it's not just the result of an infinite feedback loop of trolls trolling trolls
>just like /pol/
>>
>>7758500
All electrons are the same to some degree, all protons, neutrons, quarks and photons as well. If some one took your "soulmate" and a bag of oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen, etc, and replaced all the atoms in his/her body with the ones in the bag, would s/he still be your soulmate?
>>
>>7758567
Wrong
>>
>>7759656
>Don't underestimate the degeneracy of that place

yet here we are 65+ replies about a tumblr post, on a so called science board
>>
>>7758526
/thread
>>
File: 1451642871698.png (1 MB, 1201x884) Image search: [Google]
1451642871698.png
1 MB, 1201x884
>These people are allowed to vote and reproduce
>>
>>7758500
Actually I think he may be on to something here.

This would explain why some humans are attracted to non humans. For example, maybe I enjoy fucking My Little Pony plushies because of how close our atoms were before the Big Bang.
>>
>>7758500
entropy
>>
>>7759256
>Implying LDF is magical
>>
no one has to debunk anything, because of burden of proof. are you people retarded
>>
>>7758521
I think it was a joke
>>
>>7758522
B-but muh noble gases
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.