[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does /sci/ refuse to acknowledge the huge disparity in university
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: 1450609847568.jpg (125 KB, 720x434) Image search: [Google]
1450609847568.jpg
125 KB, 720x434
Why does /sci/ refuse to acknowledge the huge disparity in university quality? You get topics filled with people talking about their grades in Calc 1 and Calc 2 etc. You may as well talk about how long pieces of string are. Places like MIT do Calc 1 to 3 in two courses any way. And still have more content. And Caltech does proofs etc on day one. And that's just the disparity in two maths courses. Now imagine four times that difference every year because there are 8 courses, multiplied by four for every year of the degree, multiplied by being surrounded by smarter people rather than the dumb normies who got shit school grades.

Also another way you can tell that /sci/ goes to bad unis is when they boast "99 % of my CS101: Java Syntax class failed." How the fuck is this a boast? The shitter universities have higher drop out rates (a few exceptions, when they take many people but weed them out, but this is rare and mainly very prestigious nationalised institutions). Hard working students almost always pass. If a Harvard guy goes up to me and says "99 % of people passed CS101" I'm not going to see Harvard as shit.

When I once posted a problem from the first year Oxford maths course on here as a way to troll people at worse universities, I got tonnes of abuse.

Also I'm not an Ivy league guy. I'm a guy who went to a uni ranked 100 - 150 in the world and I am as butthurt as anyone can get. My anus is redder than a cherry dipped in blood. Don't think I'm trolling. Also there are very few exceptions to the stuff I say: I mainly think of Germany, or other mainland Euro countries (not France), where I think there is more equality due to government intervention or something (or maybe we just never hear about them).

>inb4 only grad school matters

Yeah, sure, 4 years of the difference in quality I talked about contributes zero difference to grad school performance...
>>
>>7754775
My public university has an analog of Math 55, Harvard's super hard, super respected class. It's two semesters of Calculus on Manifolds, plus a bunch of other high-level stuff. I showed my textbook to a grad student who studied at a UC school and he replied "this is shit I don't even know." After my freshman year I can take senior-level and grad-level classes.

Moral? Maybe everyone at MIT gets a good education, but one can get an MIT-level education at a lot of places other than (OP would say "worse than") MIT if one is willing to work hard enough.
>>
>>7754787
What school is this? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>7754793
I won't say what school exactly, but you'll have to trust me that if I were to tell you, you'd most likely be surprised. It's not a recognized top tier public school (UC, Michigan, William and Mary, etc), but it still has great programs. Not trying to brag about my school ( even if that's what it sounds like), just trying to emphazise that Harvard/MIT/Caltech quality students will find ways to give themselves top-tier level educations regardless of where they go--which is the opposite of what OP is saying, basically, which is that the institution, not the student, is the deciding and dominant factor in quality of education.
>>
>>7754806
I can't trust you because I've studied math and
>After my freshman year I can take senior-level and grad-level classes.
is near impossible. Even Cambridge's famous math course takes 3 years before students are prepared to take graduate level courses.
>>
>>7754775
When has /sci/ refused to acknowledge it? Everyone knows that the top 10 universities are extreme outliers.
>>
>>7754820
I can't speak to what Cambridge is like (I wish), but I should qualify what I said. I can't just waltz into the department and take my pick of grad classes next year. Next year will be a lot classes being taken mainly by third and fourth year students. However, it will definitely take less than 3 years for me to learn, say, grad-level algebra or analysis.

>I can't trust you
Who would lie on the internet? But even if you don't, my argument still should stand on its own.
>>
>>7754775
If you are really that buttblasted about your university quality then just self-study. The only limit on how tough of a book you can take is your own intelligence.

>inb4 i'm not prepared for the hard books because my bad university boo hoo

No, stop being a faggot. I know for a fact that any good book starts really slow so that any reader who knows the pre-requisites (which are listed or else you can google them in math forums where people will happily tell you what you need to know before learning something else) can understand it easily.

>4 years of the difference in quality

So what? You still took the same courses so you have an idea of whats going on. If you are clever enough to go to grad school then having a less rigorous math course should not hinder you and if it does who cares. What will it take for you to get to the level of the other students? A month? Two? Once you are a grad student, undergrad topics will look like toys for retards so you could pick up any undergrad book and rush it.

So this thread is literally

>I WAS BORN STUPID!
>TO MAKE UP FOR MY STUPIDITY I HOPED TO GET INTO A GOOD UNIVERSITY!
>THERE I WOULD BE ABLE TO COPY FROM THE SMARTIES AND BE SMART TOO!
>NOW I'M BUTTHURT BECAUSE I WENT TO AN AVERAGE SCHOOL
>THEREFORE I'M STILL STUPID

Indeed you are, anon. You are still stupid.

btw, the university I went to is ranked 2000 in the world according to some shady website. Didn't stop me from doing well and getting a fucking job.
>>
>>7754855
So fucking true. "grad classes", "undergrad classes " and all that bullshit. If you are really interested in a subject, you pick some good books on it and you fucking study on your own, you don't wait for " the classes ". If you get stuck, you have the Internet, faggot. Surely someone, somewhere, can help you out. So stop bitching about universities and rankings and fucking study on your own if you really like something. And I am sure your profs won't turn you down if you are asking them for help related to a class that you haven't taken.
>>
>>7754775
The solution is to watch khan academy or MIT lectures.

There were only 2-3 classes that I considered slightly better than online lectures when I got my degree.
>>
>>7754855
>If you are really that buttblasted about your university quality then just self-study. The only limit on how tough of a book you can take is your own intelligence.
Why are we paying thousands to go to a university only to end up self studying? I'd rather just not spend the money in the first place.

Nice try kike.

>No, stop being a faggot. I know for a fact that any good book starts really slow so that any reader who knows the pre-requisites (which are listed or else you can google them in math forums where people will happily tell you what you need to know before learning something else) can understand it easily.
give examples. this is literally never true.

>So what? You still took the same courses so you have an idea of whats going on. If you are clever enough to go to grad school then having a less rigorous math course should not hinder you and if it does who cares. What will it take for you to get to the level of the other students? A month? Two? Once you are a grad student, undergrad topics will look like toys for retards so you could pick up any undergrad book and rush it.
>This is what retards actually believe
nigger there's a reason you couldnt become an MIT grad student, they know that where you got your undergraduate education from DOES matter.

>btw, the university I went to is ranked 2000 in the world according to some shady website. Didn't stop me from doing well and getting a fucking job.
what job do you have anon? wait for it...
>>
>>7754920
>watch MIT lectures

You only get a fraction of the benefit of MIT education if you only watch the lectures. Most of the learning comes from the problem classes. Yes you can do the problems and sometimes even the solutions are online but you won't get to have things explained to you by a prof or TA if you don't understand something, which is the main benefit of going to university.
>>
>>7754934
>Why are we paying thousands to go to a university only to end up self studying?

You go to university to get the professional title. Also, it is a choice. Even if your uni is shit-tier, what you will learn will be enough to go to grad school or to get a job in the area. It is up to you if you want to enhance your own skill.

>boo hoo I don't like being mediocre but I also don't like working towards the end of not being mediocre anymore

sigh...

>give examples
I googled 'What do I need to know for algebraic geometry'
Example: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-prerequisites-to-learn-algebraic-geometry

Other than that. My linear algebra book from joshua something had, whenever a topic that was not strictly about linear algebra like calculus or proofs, short notes that would direct to a page in the back that would quickly explain the topic for the purposes of the exercises in linear algebra.

>nigger there's a reason you couldnt become an MIT grad student, they know that where you got your undergraduate education from DOES matter.

That is why you don't care if you don't get to MIT for grad school. Seriously, while I've never been interested in grad school and would never get a PhD in fear of being over qualified (but would do a Masters) the best advice I've been given to succeed in grad school is to go to one of the smaller ones where there will be less students so you have more time with your professor and where the course load won't kill you. Graduate, do 2 - 3 publications and then start applying to teaching positions in other universities. And sure, maybe you will earn less than the MIT PhD but who cares. 6 figures is acquirable by anyone in academia whose contributions are important enough.

[cont]
>>
>>7754952
>You only get a fraction of the benefit of MIT education if you only watch the lectures. Most of the learning comes from the problem classes. Yes you can do the problems and sometimes even the solutions are online but you won't get to have things explained to you by a prof or TA if you don't understand something, which is the main benefit of going to university.
The lecture videos have better explanations than I have ever received at university.

It's just not worth going to university unless its like top 20 or something.
>>
Vote for the Best Board of 2015

http://strawpoll.me/6415189
>>
>>7754934
>what job do you have anon? wait for it...

What job do I have? Easy. I have a job that pays me 80k with various benefits and allows me to easily pay my bills and spend my money in any luxury I desire without having to worry too much about what will I be doing next month.

But I know that is what you meant.

I am at the moment a Junior Security Analyst for a private company that works primarily for banks.

If you care about the education that got me here, mathematics,
>>
>>7754959
>You go to university to get the professional title. Also, it is a choice. Even if your uni is shit-tier, what you will learn will be enough to go to grad school or to get a job in the area. It is up to you if you want to enhance your own skill.
Title means jack shit. Why would I spend 5k shekels a semester minimum to have the professor lecture about teaching philosophy when its a class in circuits?

I'd rather just watch online lectures which are infinitely better and learn from those.

>>boo hoo I don't like being mediocre but I also don't like working towards the end of not being mediocre anymore
>sigh...
nice argument

>Other than that. My linear algebra book from joshua something had, whenever a topic that was not strictly about linear algebra like calculus or proofs, short notes that would direct to a page in the back that would quickly explain the topic for the purposes of the exercises in linear algebra.
>muh anecdotes

>That is why you don't care if you don't get to MIT for grad school
retard spotted, some of us want to do better than what some shit-tier university pumps out because they're trying to soak in loan shekels.

There's literally no point in going to a school below the top 20 now. You get a better education from online lectures than you ever will from professors who can barely speak english let alone teach the fucking material.
>>
>>7754966
That's cool that you found a job assuming you're correct about this.

But most people who get a mid-tier degree mill won't be finding shit because their degree is worth less than 4 years of experience working as a janitor for the same corporation.

They just push everyone through with HEAVILY curved C's and you end up with that same piece of paper that everyone else has.

All companies know this is happening so now they look at tons of other things to make sure they don't get a retard that just got pushed through because they wanted some student loan shekels.

There really is no point to going to lower tier universities at this point.
>>
>>7754855
Thank you. Only people insecure about their intelligence care about university ranking. I study wherever suits me best.
>>
File: howdii.png (50 KB, 743x577) Image search: [Google]
howdii.png
50 KB, 743x577
;)
>>
>>7754992
how much does tuition there cost?
>>
>tfw flunked a CHE101 midterm
>not allowed to end semester test

I don't even browse /sci/ usually, I just want to tell this to someone that isn't my parents. At least I mostly paid the year myself.
>>
>>7754995
$240,000 for 4 years
>>
>>7754968
>Title means jack shit
No white collar job will hire you without a title. It does mean something but it is not all you need and you are right about this.

> the professor lecture about teaching philosophy
That is just the retarded. It is not the sort of thing I am talking about. I am talking about having less rigorous courses. If you get taught philosophy then you fucked up. Transfer the fuck away.

>I'd rather just watch online lectures which are infinitely better and learn from those.

That's good but I prefer books. Watching video limits the speed of your learning to the velocity of the average brain in the crowd. You can read a book as fast as you want.

>muh anecdotes
That is why I also showed you a clear example of what I meant first, providing you with the source.

>some of us want to do better than what some shit-tier university pumps out

Then do amazingly well with your GRE scores or whatever the grad school exams are called. If you get a near perfect score then no one will be able to ignore as a candidate. Plus, even at lower tier universities you can still apply as an undergraduate research assistant to get research experience which is what grad schools actually care about.

>There's literally no point in going to a school below the top 20 now
There is a point. The average person with a degree earns 20k more than the average person without a degree. That is a very significant reason.

>>7754973
> assuming you're correct about this.
correct about what?

>But most people who get a mid-tier degree mill won't be finding shit

I invite you to examine this graph:
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/03/04/business/economy/economix-04unemployeduc2029/economix-04unemployeduc2029-blog480.jpg

Only 5.8% of people with a bachelors degree are unemployed. This means that 94.2% of university grads have a job right now. (from ages 20-29)
[cont]
>>
>>7755004
>quarter million
one of the only schools that can justify such an expense.
>>
>>7755012
Almost all of the kids get a significant amount (over 75%) wiped by aid and scholarships. I am personally not paying a dime. The school is more than capable of functioning and improving upon itself on endowments alone.
>>
>>7754973
Now I invite you to examine this graph
http://insights.dice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Screen-Shot-2014-07-31-at-9.25.20-AM.png

As we know, roughly 95% of university grads are employed. This graph shows that 50% of the STEM grads who are employed are employed in STEM. And STEM jobs range from 40k (biology) to 100k(Petroeng) starting. So they are all doing very well for themselves.

>you end up with that same piece of paper that everyone else has.
This is a valid criticism and that is why I would encourage people to analyze the data on how many graduates there are in certain areas.

I'm not from the US but I had the luck of living in a country where for some reason very few people studied mathematics (you had to see my topology classroom) so I have a 'rare' skill set which makes it very employable and desirable for companies.

>All companies know this is happening so now they look at tons of other thing
This is also true but you are assuming that it didn't happen in the past. It has always happened.

If you had an engineer with nothing else and another engineer who did internships every summer who would you hire? The guy with internships.

That is why, the company I work for now is also the company I did an internship with in my senior year. Seriously, there is no reason for not looking for summer internships. It is the best decision you can make as a student.

>There really is no point to going to lower tier universities at this point.
I believe I already answered this.
>>
>>7755010
>No white collar job will hire you without a title. It does mean something but it is not all you need and you are right about this.
They do and they do it often.

>That is just the retarded. It is not the sort of thing I am talking about. I am talking about having less rigorous courses. If you get taught philosophy then you fucked up. Transfer the fuck away.
I agree, but running away from problems doesn't solve them it just hides them.

>That's good but I prefer books. Watching video limits the speed of your learning to the velocity of the average brain in the crowd. You can read a book as fast as you want.
whynotboth.jpg

>That is why I also showed you a clear example of what I meant first, providing you with the source.
pretty much every book ive read expects you to know the pre-reqs well right away. there is nothing wrong with this.

>Then do amazingly well with your GRE scores or whatever the grad school exams are called. If you get a near perfect score then no one will be able to ignore as a candidate.
sure, but that sure isn't happening if you rely on the current state of university as it is. no point in going to lecture, I skipped most of them near the end of my degree and got A's by doing the homework and watching lectures online.

>There is a point. The average person with a degree earns 20k more than the average person without a degree. That is a very significant reason.
your statistical analysis is not on point my friend. how does a degree mill faggot compare to someone who learned on their own?

>Only 5.8% of people with a bachelors degree are unemployed. This means that 94.2% of university grads have a job right now. (from ages 20-29)
I wonder how many of those work in their respective fields? I'll have an easier time working at subway right out of high school than overqualified with a degree, at least I can lie about it.
>>
>>7755018
>As we know, roughly 95% of university grads are employed. This graph shows that 50% of the STEM grads who are employed are employed in STEM. And STEM jobs range from 40k (biology) to 100k(Petroeng) starting. So they are all doing very well for themselves.
>50%
the fact that you aren't in shock about this says all I need to know about you.

>I'm not from the US but I had the luck of living in a country where for some reason very few people studied mathematics (you had to see my topology classroom) so I have a 'rare' skill set which makes it very employable and desirable for companies.
good job understanding the market you were in.
>>
>>7754968
you don't learn in the same way outside of university. get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>7755029
>you don't learn in the same way outside of university. get your head out of your ass.
trying to justify that student loan I see.

toplel.
>>
>>7755022
>They do and they do it often.
Maybe they do but having a degree will make you a preferable candidate in any industry.

>I agree, but running away from problems doesn't solve them it just hides them.
I agree but why not start a movement or contact your politicians or you know, something that will actually help instead of just complaining in a mongolian furniture examination forum.

>sure, but that sure isn't happening if you rely on the current state of university as it is
Then take the extra step and self study.

>your statistical analysis is not on point my friend. how does a degree mill faggot compare to someone who learned on their own?

Well, I did say average. The average person without a degree is probably a Mc Donald's manager. I know that self-taught people work in the software industry with really high salaries too but there are less self-taught people than university graduates in that and any other industry for that matter.

>the fact that you aren't in shock about this says all I need to know about you.
I am not in shock. I understand the market and know that many industries have more graduates than open positions per year. This means that you should do anything you can to be part of this 50%. And you know what that is? Internships and undergraduate research assistant positions for experience.

>good job understanding the market you were in.
I'm sure the same could be done for the american market. There are crowded industries and ones with too few applicants. However, this doesn't matter if you make the difference of getting work experience while you study to stand out and securing yourself for a nice STEM job.
>>
>>7754775
My math major at a lower tier university starts first year with proofs and it continues every year. I don't know what fucking school wouldn't start proofs off the bat in first year.

The biggest issue is the quality of the students. There are only two of us in my year ready to take more advanced courses from basic analysis and abstract algebra (measure theory, topology, functional analysis, more algebra etc). The rest sort of get by with C's and B's and do the bare minimum.
>>
>>7755032
It depends on your field really, if you wanted to go into any applied field you would suffer just on lack of resources alone. Most kids dont have the resources to conduct engineering labs in their basement. If you wanted to learn in a more pure field then you miss out on the opportunities that allow one to interact with other students on a face to face basis and consistent contact with mentor figures, like your advisor or professor. If you want to make serious contributions to mathematics, then theres a point where textbooks are no longer going to be of service to you (upper graduate level)
>>
>>7755028
>the fact that you aren't in shock about this says all I need to know about you.

I am not in shock. There simply are not enough jobs for everyone. That is why you need your summer internships and preferably work in undergraduate research to get experience you can put in your CV.
>>
>>7755038
>Maybe they do but having a degree will make you a preferable candidate in any industry.
Not when you're up against someone who knows way more because they didn't waste their time fucking around in university.

>I agree but why not start a movement or contact your politicians or you know, something that will actually help instead of just complaining in a mongolian furniture examination forum.
Hard to fight the shekel my friend. The moment these student loans stop is the moment universitys will have to make money through the value of their degree again. We're probably going to have to switch to pre-recorded lectures and naturally select the best ones.

>Then take the extra step and self study.
already am.

>I am not in shock. I understand the market and know that many industries have more graduates than open positions per year. This means that you should do anything you can to be part of this 50%. And you know what that is? Internships and undergraduate research assistant positions for experience.
Do you not think its possible that another reason why 50% of those graduates did not make it is because university is shit?

>I'm sure the same could be done for the american market. There are crowded industries and ones with too few applicants. However, this doesn't matter if you make the difference of getting work experience while you study to stand out and securing yourself for a nice STEM job.
American market is much different now, its become much more efficient but the profits are going to the top. They don't need average joe over here to do anything when the top applicants who self studied alongside getting a degree do everything.

Arguably not a bad thing for now, it's pushing the development of nearly everything incredibly fast, this does leave people behind though who can't keep up.
>>
I agree it's borderline criminal for a university to offer a degree which doesn't provide sufficient preparation for a midranked graduate school.
>>
>>7755047
>Not when you're up against someone who knows way more because they didn't waste their time fucking around in university.

Who told you this? Yes, many companies will give you practical tests in interviews to test your knowledge but most of the time if your CV comes in and there is no sight of a degree it is going directly into the thrash.

>Hard to fight the shekel my friend. The moment these student loans stop is the moment universitys will have to make money through the value of their degree again. We're probably going to have to switch to pre-recorded lectures and naturally select the best ones.

I agree that in the US you have a problem of loan inflation. I mean, right now students owe 1.3 trillion dollars according to a report last year I believe. That really is disgusting and probably a big problem. My biggest fear is that it is being used just to reduce the amount of people able to get university degrees to limit the overpopulation of some markets.

>Do you not think its possible that another reason why 50% of those graduates did not make it is because university is shit?

Maybe companies do prefer people from ivy league schools but so what? Ivy leagues alone can't supply for the entire job market so there is plenty of room for people from state schools. However, if you went to a really low rated school because your GPA was like 2.0 then you only have yourself to blame.

>hey don't need average joe
Then don't be average joe.

And even if you are average joe, you will still get a job in the grey lines from the graph that will pay you nicely.
>>
>>7755053
>Who told you this? Yes, many companies will give you practical tests in interviews to test your knowledge but most of the time if your CV comes in and there is no sight of a degree it is going directly into the thrash.
My friend got his job because he finished his practical test in a day. Took the other guys a couple of days to finish it.

It's an anecdote, but the statistics say the same thing.

>I agree that in the US you have a problem of loan inflation. I mean, right now students owe 1.3 trillion dollars according to a report last year I believe. That really is disgusting and probably a big problem. My biggest fear is that it is being used just to reduce the amount of people able to get university degrees to limit the overpopulation of some markets.
The entire student loan problem was either a scam by the kikes or a genuine attempt by the government to educate most of its population.

I'm not sure as to what the original purpose was but it's gotten out of hand now.

>Maybe companies do prefer people from ivy league schools but so what? Ivy leagues alone can't supply for the entire job market so there is plenty of room for people from state schools. However, if you went to a really low rated school because your GPA was like 2.0 then you only have yourself to blame.
If you're getting a 2.0 gpa at a low rated school, you shouldn't even be there in the first place, you should have been kicked out well before that.

Too many schools lower their requirements just to soak in those student loan shekels. You don't see the dean of the school driving beat up cars do you?

>Then don't be average joe.
I agree, however going to mid-tier university is not the way now and that's my point. You expect to receive an actual education? lel

The student must do everything in his power to learn the material.

The teacher must do everything in his power to force the student to learn the material.

The universities aren't doing their part and it's about time those kikes pay.
>>
>>7755059
>It's an anecdote, but the statistics say the same thing.

Well, I gave you graphs and sources for my statistics. I would appreciate to see yours now.

>Too many schools lower their requirements just to soak in those student loan shekels. You don't see the dean of the school driving beat up cars do you?

I agree with this.

>The universities aren't doing their part and it's about time those kikes pay.

Unless your professors are actively ignoring or avoiding you then your university is doing their part. Expecting more is a bit childish.
>>
>>7755060
>Well, I gave you graphs and sources for my statistics. I would appreciate to see yours now.
Your statistics did not prove anything, you came to erroneous conclusions.

I have no proof for my assertion so im telling you right now. It's just what I've gathered from others.

>Unless your professors are actively ignoring or avoiding you then your university is doing their part. Expecting more is a bit childish.
Since when did expecting my circuits professor to actually teach circuits childish?

Everyone has to put in effort, they defintely aren't putting much of anything.

Do you want to know what my university spent their extra money on? 3 ceiling mounted televisions that WE NEVER USE.

I have yet to see anyone use those pieces of shit and they got mounted in every lecture room.
>>
>>7755069
>I have no proof for my assertion so im telling you right now. It's just what I've gathered from others.
Ok.

>Since when did expecting my circuits professor to actually teach circuits childish?

I already told you that teaching you philosophy is bullshit. I would count that as ignoring you, or at least ignoring your needs as a student.

>Do you want to know what my university spent their extra money on? 3 ceiling mounted televisions that WE NEVER USE.

Don't worry. You know what the big ivy league schools do with their big money? Make big stadiums and pools that won't benefit STEM students ever.

Are you sure it is that bad? I am assuming that you are either EE or CE so you have a big market out there. Just getting your degree will get you entry level jobs. (Well, 50% of the time)

I would advise you to just keep going and get your degree but if you are that disatisfied then transfer to another school. The process can't be that hard.
>>
>>7754820
state schooler here, grad level math courses here are pretty easy. i know a guy who was taking them in high school. if a school has easy undergrad math courses, there's a good chance they have easy grad math courses as well.
>>
>>7755072
>Don't worry. You know what the big ivy league schools do with their big money? Make big stadiums and pools that won't benefit STEM students ever.
Big ivy league schools still put in enough effort to make it worth it and the degree itself is worth enough to justify toughing it out and self studying your way through it if it sucks.

Mid-tier schools dont have this at all.
>>
>>7754775

Why the fuck are you reposting this retarded thread again?
>>
>>7755072
>Don't worry. You know what the big ivy league schools do with their big money? Make big stadiums and pools that won't benefit STEM students ever.
they actually just invest it in hedge funds and keep making more money without ever doing anything useful
>>
There are 2600 colleges in the US, here's a list of the ones that matter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_research_universities_in_the_United_States

Most of those on the top list are actually pretty cheap to attend, and largely staffed (in the STEM fields, at least) with faculty from elite universities, doing top-end research. The actual difference between the education you get at universities in the top list isn't nearly as big as is made out to be (although the quality of students can be *vastly* different).

This is still the top 4% of colleges in the US, and the University of Alabama is on the list, but keep this in mind: 96% of American colleges are *worse* than the University of Alabama.

Don't go to a university worse than the University of Alabama. You'll be fine otherwise.
>>
File: Ja-Rule-karencivil.jpg (179 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
Ja-Rule-karencivil.jpg
179 KB, 540x720
Top school STEM student:
-Studies and works so many hours that he hates life
-Is surrounded by other geniuses and high achievers with insane work ethics constantly, develops an inferiority complex
-Has insane expectations placed upon himself, considers suicide if he achieves anything less than 99th percentile in anything
-Spends his little free time shitposting on /sci/ because he's too stressed out and edgy to socialize with real life people
-Develops adult onset Aspergers at age 21 as a result of isolating self and working too hard on prestigious research project

State school STEM student:
-Is a big fish in a small pond, makes a 4.0 by going to 2/3rds of classes mostly sober and studying 2-5hrs per week
-Gets top faculty to work with him with little effort since he's more impressive than 99% of peers
-Light schedule leaves him with free time to hit up all the parties that the cute applied math grad student in his topology class keeps inviting him to
-Fucks undergrad psych majors by getting drunk and singing along to throwback rap songs at parties
>>
>>7755097
This is so true but it is a bit weird.

Take a look at this:
https://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/med-pay-ivy-league-1.png

And please ignore the 'by gender' bullshit. Seriously america, what the fuck is up with your gender politics?

Anyways, if we compare this to average salaries (from say, payscale) the difference is fucking huge.

Taking the median salary of 165k in harvard, it looks like a harvard graduate could easily achieve the 100k starting dream.

So is it worth it? Would you have more fun in college or more money out of college?
>>
>>7755116
Fun in college desu
Most of my fellow state school STEMbros have got 60-80k out of school which is plenty unless you're trying to raise kids in manfuckinghatten
>>
>>7754806
William and Mary is not top tier (at least for math). They don't even have a fucking a mathematics graduate program.
>>
>>7755434
or an engineering school
but they can place you at some bad azz government jobs anyway LOL
>>
>>7754806
>quality students will find ways to give themselves top-tier level educations regardless of where they go

But what if their university doesn't have really tough courses like your university does? Of course, they can find books on their own, but it will never show up on their transcript and they will have a tough time convincing the top graduate schools to take them. Even if they have a 4.0 GPA, top graduate schools may think that the curriculum at their university is too easy and so their grades aren't really an indicator of anything.
>>
>>7754992

>contribute to our diverse community
>thinks diversity is good

Diversity is a sign of an inherent failure of a system. Every time I see diversity being given positive connotations, another cancer cell forms in my testicles.
>>
>>7755097

Lol. Top kek.
>>
>>7754775
>Doing calc 1 to 3 at university

Americans pay for this "privilege".
>>
>tfw shitty third world college
>>
>>7755441
k
>>
>>7755441
This.
>>
>>7754787
>At a UC school
There are vastly differing qualities of graduates from the various campuses. Anyone not from UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD or UCSB is not worth their weight in shit.
>>
>>7755097
you forgot

>gets scooped 80% of the way through his doctoral thesis

and

>locks up a top research slot at a multi-billion dollar chemical corp's agricultural R&D division through one of his frat brothers whom is the son of the COO
>>
>>7754995
MIT is need-blind.
>>
>>7755434
William and Mary is a very good school. But its a liberal arts college (not much focus on STEM and college means it focusses on undergraduate education).
Compare an institute of technology like MIT (which focuses on STEM historically but now does everything).
>>
As a non-American interested in your educational system: Why do you place so much importance on the prestige of the university you go to? And why do your (mostly private) institutions have such an huge endowment? Also, where does all that money go to? (Not meant as provocation, just honestly interested in your system)
>>
math freshman reporting in
i dont know if those university rankings are worth anything, but i checked and my uni is about 400th
classes and exams are easy, so i get additional stuff to do from my advisor
maybe i don't learn as much as i could, but it's comfy and there's no pressure on me
i doubt i would get individual treatment if i went to a top school
>>
>>7755116
>considers suicide if he achieves anything less than 99th percentile in anything

Doesn't really hold, especially in the top schools because getting to that 99th percentile is just fucking impossible.

The rest seems to be correct however, I hate my life, I can't have any time off without feeling bad about it, I'm working hard and it feels like I'm falling behind and I kind of just wish I'd die in my sleep.

In fact, I'm almost positive I'd learn things better in a normal university without having to drink from a fire hose.
>>
>>7755837
meant for >>7755097
>>
>>7755836

Oxbridge students spend 1-4h per week (closer to 4 for STEM) in groups of 1-3 with a supervisor/tutor. These guys can be anything from the lecturers to some dude who graduated a few years ago. You typically go over work that was done beforehand and handed in. It's quite useful desu, you're sort of forced to face what you can't do and you can ask someone who knows to explain it.

It's probably not the biggest difference-maker in the world though.
>>
>>7755595
K
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.