[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Black is the absence of light. Light needs to enter our eyes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9
File: philosophy.jpg (22 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
philosophy.jpg
22 KB, 360x240
Black is the absence of light.

Light needs to enter our eyes to see.

How then can we see black paint?

Are our eyes actually seeing black paint, or are they actually seeing the essence of the paint itself?

A question best left to philosophers.
>>
Black paint does not exist, there are only dark shades of blue, grey, brown, etc.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFwtJC9_dXs
>>
File: black.jpg (99 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
black.jpg
99 KB, 1600x1000
>>7751872
literally right now i am seeing like 10 things painted black
>>
>>7751902
that was realy interesting thank u

but it doesnt answer the question because black is still exists
>>
>>7752009
What we consider 'black paint' is actually just very dark shades of blue, brown or grey. For example if you bleach a black shirt it will go orange. This is due to the original colour being a dark brown.
>>
>>7752020
>What we consider 'black paint' is actually just very dark shades of white. For example if you bleach a black shirt it will go white.
>>
Define black.
>>
Black paint is visble because it isn't pure "black", what you are dealing with is a series of impure mixtures of dark colors that emulate black but fail to asorb light at significantly high rates.

If you want a taste of "real" black you go with Vantablack.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vantablack
>>
Wut? its the absence of light and color. This is 1st grade stuff.
>>
>>7751819
it's possible we are seeing true black, lightened we'll see usually blue or brown. Comparing our eyes to other animals or even other humans you see colors differently and don't even see some colors, put infra red in front of your webcam. Also it depends what you count as a color, colors are determined by the actual texture of an object, e.g which waves/types bounce off that particular texture, since you're seeing the light not the actual object all objects are colorless in a (this tends to be impossible) completely light depraved environment.
>>
>>7751819
Black paint is reflecting a tiny amount of some other light frequency, probably white. You use this light to see the shape of the object painted black. If it were painted with vantablack, a nanomaterial that absorbs nearly all light, you would only see a hole in your vision. You couldn't make out shape or distance or anything
>>
>>7752106
Blackness is not a property of an object but your brain's interpretation of the intensity of incoming light. What might appear as black in bright sunlight will be grey or even white in dim/dark environment.
>>7752506
There is no white frequency. White is whatever you're adapted to.
>>7752499
Even at extremely low luminance levels, you never see absolute black. The neural noise causes the photoreceptors to misfire on a regular basis.
>>
>>7752708
Oh, and since I'm NEET right now feel free to ask me anything about human visual perception.
>>
>>7752049
there is a room, which is lined with a material that has total absorption, the room is completely isolated from outside light
there is also a minuscule light source in that room that is pulsed once
there is an eye in that room that observes the room in all directions
the eye will see a dot in the location where the light originated
everywhere else the eye will see what is known as black

do you like this?
>>
>>7752732
There is light intensity invisible to the human eye. At least 1 photon per 20 ms needs to be absorbed by a rod photoreceptor to cause its excitation and at least 2 photons are needed to produce a light that is perceivable in the visual field.
>>
>>7752753
so then, a light that is of lesser intensity that that is black
>>
>>7752766
Even brighter light than that may appear black, depending on your adaptation. It will even appear more uniformly black.
>>
File: led-color-temperature.jpg (127 KB, 764x544) Image search: [Google]
led-color-temperature.jpg
127 KB, 764x544
except you and noone of us have ever seen real black.

for what you are looking at is the remaining hue of light temperature.

it is defined by how much Kelvin a given lightsource heats a 'perfectly black' object.

since you are partly made out of light as well I'd say it's nearly impossible to see complete blackness
>>
>>7752795
Not all light that hits your eye reaches the retina, and then not all of it is absorbed. Some light gets blocked by the cornea, some gets absorbed by the lenticular pigment and then there's the macular pigment and after all this it still might not be absorbed by the rods. So you don't need an absolute lack of photons to "see" absolute threshold.
>>
>>7752795
That is not what black body radiation is, at all
Neither is black body radiation a reason to not being able to see complete blackness/darkness.
>>
>>7752795
stfu you dont know me
my struggles
my pain
>>
>>7752804
Well, in theory if each photon hitting the eye caused photoreceptor exciatation than even the miniscule number of photons emitted by our bodies would be perceived by our eyes. However, in reality: >>7752803
>>
File: tumblr_nqffnfK8FD1qcj2hco1_500.gif (415 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqffnfK8FD1qcj2hco1_500.gif
415 KB, 500x290
>>7752804

if you contest my post, educate me as well

also not talking about light outside the visible spectrum here

also I was saying that every human was a light source and not a black body. therefore you will never be able to see

nothing
>>
>>7752803

and what could not be absorbed is left to our imagination is what I'm saying ;)
>>
>>7752832
Yes, but >>7752819 and >>7752803.
>>
File: 303px-Black_body.svg.png (17 KB, 303x242) Image search: [Google]
303px-Black_body.svg.png
17 KB, 303x242
>>7752819
I was just calling out >>7752795 for spouting bullshit.

Color temperature is not defined that way. It is defined as the light a black body would emit at a certain temperature.
LEDs do not emit black body spectra, but by mixing the colors cleverly it can look the same as light from a black body at a certain temperature. LEDs do not have anything to do with this thread's topic, either, but he brought that up in his picture.
>>
the additive color system of light is different than the subtractive color system of paint. also its not pure black
>>
>>7752838
Well, black body radiation temperature chart represents hues that will appear identical to the spectral power distributions emitted by black bodies heated to a given a temperature. In colour science, the spectrum doesn't have to match since we only have 3 photoreceptors in usable in daylight conditions.
>>
>>7752841
The reality is neither additive nor subtractive, but multplicative. The spectral power distribution of the emitted light is multiplied by the spectral reflectance of the surfaces around us.
>>
>>7752852

could be fractioned as well couldn't it?
>>
>>7752861
What do you mean?
>>
File: color.jpg (189 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
color.jpg
189 KB, 550x550
A red rose absorbs all colors but red; red is therefore the one color that it is not.
>>
>>7752852
no light is additive
paint/printing is subtractive
fuck you talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color
>>
>>7752889
A rose is not red. Your brain interprets the light reflected from a rose as red. No object "has" a colour. Objects have reflectance spectra and your brain produces sensations for the spectra with different dominant wavelengths.
>>
>>7752891
common core ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>7752891
The concepts describe how humans reproduce the colors of real life scenes. The scenes, however, are typically illuminated with a single source of light which is the reflected by one or more objects - making it a multiplicative system.
>>
>>7752889
deep as fuck
>>
guise i always thought something was black when our eyes did not pick up any photons from that area.

glossy black paint can appear white when the light is reflected off the gloss into our eyes, so we see both white and black.

but the black itself is just the absence of photons entering our eyes, since the black paint is absorbing them all and not reflecting/transmitting them back.

so when we see black paint, its just an area of our vision that our eyes don't register any light, and so it appears black.
>>
>>7752911
This is wrong. Your eyes adapt to the luminance of your surround so even though the black level of a TV might look great when you have lights on, in a completely dark room the black areas on the TV look greyish at best.
>>
>>7752926
thats because of light leakage on the tv screen itself. light from active pixels illuminates the inactive ones.

also less expensive tvs and LED/LCD tv's just have lighter black levels.

turn off the tv in a pitch black room and you can no longer see the tv.

the best plasma TV's in the world and now OLED's will have this attribute when turned on.

so in pitch black you won't be able to see the black background on the tv screen.
>>
File: checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg (77 KB, 540x420) Image search: [Google]
checkershadow_illusion4med.jpg
77 KB, 540x420
black is relative
>>
>>7752941
That again is not entirely true. A typical TV these days will have a peak luminance of about 500 nits and a dynamic range (or contrast ratio) of about 1000:1, for a black level of 0.5 nit. OLEDs go lower, but only for uniformly black images, set any pixel to above 0 and the black level rises very quickly - a problem known in the industry as the "big fat zero".

Plenty of producers will report their displays to produce 0 nits luminance, but measure it with a good-enough spectrometer and you will get a higher value than this. The lowest black level I've seen on a display was 0.005 nits on a prototype display and the black level still didn't look perfectly black.
>>
>>7752009
I wanna see it painted, painted black
Black as night, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
>>
>>7752020
Oh? You think you understand niggerphysics?
>>
>>7752889
Wrong, it does not need to absorb all colors but red; it just needs to absorb green to appear red.
>>
>>7753250
Green and blue, otherwise it would be magenta.
>>
dont paint me black when i used to be golden
>>
File: 515465848.jpg (293 KB, 1200x832) Image search: [Google]
515465848.jpg
293 KB, 1200x832
Whenever you see something "black" in most cases it's not a perfect black. It just almost absorbs all light waves so much that it seems black, but it's just a very, very dark shade of any color.

Pic related is the blackest metarial we know though.
>>
>>7754249
On a bright day even a fairly bright object appears black. All depends on your adaptation.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.