[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw a certain chemical compound like alcohol makes us feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2
File: giphy.gif (634 KB, 347x404) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
634 KB, 347x404
>tfw a certain chemical compound like alcohol makes us feel good

Explain this shit
>>
>>7751729
Ethanol is a magical compound, you can find it labelled as "alcoholic", that's the government's method of saying "this drink will relax you and give you a good time".
You shouldn't question it's magic, but rather accept it.
>>
>>7751729
it doesn't, it's poison.
That's why you can vomit btw
>>
>>7751733
I just wanna know how it works and how it was discovered
>>
>>7751729
it's a poison, so the body responds by giving negative effects to make you stop drinking it. but then people find enjoyment in the negative effects instead
>>
>>7751739
You can't deny the face that it makes you feel good if you drink enough of it.

Obviously if you take a lot of any drug it makes you have bad consequences
>>
>>7751740
Allegedly it's been part of human culture for longer than language or religion. I'm not surprised considering all it takes to "discover" it is to eat fermented fruit. There's even animals that get drunk like this, in groups even.
>>
>>7751744
The liver does treat ethanol like a carb and it attempts to convert it into fat, which is why some heavy-alcoholics get what's known as fatty liver disease.
>>
>>7751748
Ahh so some desperate primitive person ate a rotten fruit a thousands years ago and got plastered lol
>>
>>7751744
Alcohol is poison. It is a carcinogen. Drinking more of it and allowing yourself to succumb to mental deterioration does not make alcohol any less lethal.
>>
>>7751754
Everything kills you.

Who gives a fuck lel
>>
>>7751757
This is a retarded argument. If you want to YOLO your way to the death then you might as well try driving a car 200 mph on a crowded street because it feel fucking good.
>>
>>7751759
No.
U never got invited to parties lolll
>>
>>7751757
>everything kills

Prove it.
>>
>>7751773
How?

The meaning to life is death
>>
>>7751759
>driving a car 200 mph on a crowded street because it feel fucking good.
huh?
why would that feel good?
are you a psychopath?
>>
>>7751781
I don't think you know what I is being asked of you. Spouting baseless and empty statements is not convincing and insufficient to support any claim.
>>
>>7751792
Kind of like what you're doing, eh? Living is dying, everything kills you in one way or another. Atoms in your body change in one way, may it be for good or bad, but you're dying slowly but surely.
>>
>>7751754
>Drinking more of it and allowing yourself to succumb to mental deterioration

Citation needed. Immediately. If you don't provide one within the hour I encourage mods to ban this guy.
>>
>>7751740
Beer was developped around the same time as we invented bread
>>
>>7751798
See section D.4.2 of IB Chemistry HL Drug and Medicine.

In their syllabus they state that "long term effects of ethanol is permanent brain damage. In the short term, alcoholic beverages lower inhibitions of the consumer."

For further sources, see sources of IB Diploma Program Chemistry
>>
>>7751795
Not really. And I am not denying that death is an inexorable part of life. I am simply asking you to prove that death is the meaning of life while at the same time defining what "meaning" is. If you can't do that then I cannot have a discussion with someone who can't be bothered to prove what they are saying. It is tantamount to shoving religious dogma down my mouth.
>>
>>7751817
>>7751798

REKT
E
K
T
>>
>>7751817

>IB
get outta here hothead
>>
>>7751833
samefagging

>>7751817
Did you seriously just ask me to look up the study notes for your high school chemistry class as a citation for a claim you made?
>>
>>7751842
>hurr it is high school therefore it is wrong

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/aa63/aa63.htm

See references.
>>
>>7751851
>National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism

I'm interested in neither Alcohol Abuse or Alcoholism. I'm talking about regular alcohol consumption like most adults (unlike you) partake in.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
>>
>>7751860
What about alcohol? Isn’t alcohol supposed to be good for you in small amounts?

Alcohol in moderation is beneficial, and it’s illustrated in Harvard’s Healthy Eating Pyramid from 2005. But it’s not for everyone, which is why it is not included in the Healthy Eating Plate.

Link doesn't work.

And what you are interested in is not my responsibility. You or someone asked for evidence to my statement that "Drinking more of it [alcohol] and allowing yourself to succumb to mental deterioration..." and I provided this evidence.

It is not my responsibility to cater to your interests.
>>
>>7751866
Your statement is nonsense and misleading. You have provided no evidence to show that drinking alcohol harms intelligence. All you have done is let me know that alcohol abuse does, but it appears that you don't know the distinction between regular/moderate alcohol use and regular alcohol misuse. But that's okay. Maybe when you try alcohol for the first time you'll see that you didn't allow "yourself to succumb to mental deterioration."
>>
>>7751739
I've never vomited from ingesting alcohol. And yeah, I've binge-drunk.
>>
>>7751887
Don't even bother arguing with the kid. He's in high school and has no personal experience with drinking alcohol so he's just going to misinterpret whatever he reads about it. Pearls before swine, I say.
>>
i've read 2 studies claiming moderate <1drink/day per week correlates with enhanced neuron growth but given how complicated demyelination, microglia, and white matter repair in general is i'd argue that simple growth measurements don't constitute anything in particular.

That being said alcohol is a known carcinogen, and it is a poison in high enough quantities.

GIven that it is 100% soluble in water its affects on membrane fluidity have also been studied in depth.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=ethanol+membrane+fluidity
>>
File: 1450773480681.jpg (40 KB, 467x433) Image search: [Google]
1450773480681.jpg
40 KB, 467x433
>>7751949
I'll keep eating my rum raisin. :^)
>>
Apparently consuming soda regularly or even worse fruit juice will lead to fatty liver then cirrhosis and finally liver failure in the long term at a rate comparable to alcoholism (due to fructose being a shit sugar that ends up in your liver unless enzymes can turn it into farts).
>>
>>7751956
I'd worry more about the fact that all of that fructose from soda and fruit juice will keep spiking my insulin levels and making everything act autistic until resistance develops then d i a b e e t u s.
>>
Nobody in this thread has even addressed OP's question. Everybody going on about whether ethanol is helpful or hurtful to your health is missing the point. WHY does it make you feel good?
>>
>>7751752
One hypothesis is that the human tolerance for alcohol is so high (compared to other animals) because eating rotten fruit was a huge advantage in getting more calories when competition with other animals was high. The first animal to adapt to the alcohol in fruit that fell to the ground gets a huge amount of nutrition that would normally go to waste or at least be seriously detrimental to other species.
>>
>>7751965
It makes you feel good because it's soluable as fuck in water so it can manage to get it's way into your brain. And once it's in your brain it can fuck up with some of your receptors due to it's chemical structure, thus causing the side effects people get when drinking a certain amount of alcohol.
>>
>>7751965
no one knows
>>
>>7751971
>it can fuck up with some of your receptors due to it's chemical structure
This is not specific enough. I'm pretty sure everyone surmised as much.
>>
>>7751977
Well that's as far as I'll get because I don't want to pass on misinformation.
>>
what makes me skeptical of all this clean living bullshit is that the average lifespan of a japanese woman (longest lived demo in the world) is 86.61 years while the lifespan of the average white American female is 81.48. Is five years really worth abstaining from drugs, alcohol, fatty food? I think way more of our longevity is determined by genetics than we want to admit
>>
>>7751995
Life is short. So abstain from drugs and spend your short time on this planet doing things that are actually important, and therefore hard.
>>
>>7751995
People get the really nasty deseases in old age. Cancer and dementia spare no one.
>>
All this salt. And all OP asked for was science.

Alcohol passes into the blood in minutes, the blood transports the alcohol to all parts of the body, including the brain.

Alcohol affects the brain in several ways. It alters membranes, ion channels, enzymes, and receptors. It binds to the receptors for acetylcholine, serotonin, GABA, and the NMDA receptors for glutamate.

GABA’s effect is to reduce activity by allowing chloride ions to enter the post-synaptic neuron. These ions have a negative electrical charge, which helps to make the neuron less excitable. This physiological effect is amplified when alcohol binds to the GABA receptor, probably because it enables the ion channel to stay open longer and thus let more Cl- ions into the cell.

The neuron’s activity would thus be further diminished, thus explaining the sedative effect of alcohol. This effect is accentuated because alcohol also reduces glutamate’s excitatory effect on NMDA receptors.

However, chronic consumption of alcohol gradually makes the NMDA receptors hypersensitive to glutamate while desensitizing the GABAergic receptors. It is this sort of adaptation that would cause the state of excitation characteristic of alcohol withdrawal.

Alcohol also helps to increase the release of dopamine, by a process that is still poorly understood but that appears to involve curtailing the activity of the enzyme that breaks dopamine down.

http://thebrain.mcgill.ca/flash/i/i_03/i_03_m/i_03_m_par/i_03_m_par_alcool.html
>>
>>7752024
Thank you, Anon :)
>>
>>7752024
Fuckin nerds lmao xD
>>
>>7751876
That anon, blew your ass out of the water, and instead of admitting your defeat and walking way, you still felt like getting the last word.
>>
>>7751764
Shoo
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.