[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /sci/ think of chemical engineers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: file.png (156 KB, 579x688) Image search: [Google]
file.png
156 KB, 579x688
What does /sci/ think of chemical engineers?
>>
Chemistry is fucking hard. It's really hard to apply too though...
>>
>>7751224
A SHIT
>>
>>7751224
It's a meme degree.
>>
>>7751232
>>7751231
Only ME CE and EE are real degrees everything non-stem and otherwise are meme degrees with overtime weekends 12k annual pay and oversaturared am I right /sci/?
>>
>>7751254
Math is included in good degrees, but only during certain times.
>>
>>7751232
Civilcuck detected.
>>
>>7751224

Why do ChemE? Finding a job can be quite difficult sometimes for ChemE's. Also, they get the most work out of every engineering major. Better stick to people's advice and go with MechE.
>>
Their workload seems harder than mine, at least as a student. They seem like a respectable bunch and don't act like faggots about their degree.
T. Mechanical Engineering student
>>
Ranking in terms of difficulty...

Hardest
>Physics Engineering
>Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering
>Nuclear Engineering
>Petroleum Engineering (Unsure about this one)

Medium
>Aerospace Engineering/Mechanical Engineering
>Structural Engineering
>Biomedical Engineering
>Software Engineering

Easiest
>Environmental Engineering
>Civil Engineering
>Industrial Engineering
>>
>>7751224
Literally a rigorous course in flow rates and pipes moreso than chemistry. If you're in it for the science, stick with pure chem. If you want to do differential equations and play with cad programs, do cheme.
>>
>>7751646

ChemE I'd put in hardest* forgot to add that
>>
>>7751646
It completely depends on the person, some people might find civil engineering harder than something like computer engineering if they are think of things in a more abstract way. That's just one example
>>
>>7752598
Yes, but if you find a CivilE class hard you usually have most of the semester to figure it out, unlike in more loaded programmes (not CompE thought, it has a comparative course load usually).
>>
>>7751646
EP is kind of a joke. On top of being relatively light (closer to a science degree than engineering) it has the easiest courses of physics and MechE for it's junior and senior classes instead of anything difficult from upper level.

Honestly I would say it's easier than environmental, but then again I'd put environmental in "Medium" especially considering you have software in there.
>>
I'm thinking about going into ChemE. I'm really interested in alternative fuels.. (Bio)gas plants... brewerys...waterplants, automated systems, lots of pipes. I'm more of a practical guy rather then an acedemic guy. I like to see the practical applications of things rather then theoretical simulations. I'm good at math, physics, chemistry and biology. However safety is an important factor for me. Is ChemE for me?

Also, I have high ambitions. Does ChemE offer enough social mobility ? (hint: a high position Big Oil) I don't want to be an oomla loompa all my life. (hint: a high position Big Oil)
>>
>>7752761
Damn screwed up the last past.

Also, another question, is ChemE basically a bridge point between Science and Entreupeneurship ? I'd like to combine science and learn how to cooperate in operational business / factories.
>>
>>7751224
Isn't that just a fag who uses poppers every day?
>>
>>7752761
Just do Chemical Engineering Technology, it's much more experimental and closer to what you want. Normal ChemE will definitely have you doing simulations and design most days especially for the first 5-10 years of your career.

> I have high ambitions.
No. Practical guys don't really advance much. Climbing in oil companies requires you to be a genius that is good at theory and extroverted enough to use it. Engineering is pretty much the only way to climb high in tech companies, but again you have to be extremely intelligent and a god-tier bureaucrat.
>>
>>7752994
>>7752761

Don't listen to this guy. Stay away from engineering technology degrees. They don't even have great job opportunities. ChemE is versatile and will let you work in different industries of which you mentioned. Also, the pay is higher for the degree and it's a more respectable major.
>>
>>7753055
If you're "practically orientated" (read retarded), then abstract degrees will be hell for you. Technologists still make decent money, far more than business majors, which is why it's good for people who want a career in hands-on STEM.
>>
>>7753066

ChemE is a more intense version of MechE, really. The courses they take are pretty much the same except for a few higher level ones in ChemE. Something abstract to me would be electrical, nuclear, or physics engineering. I've seen guys who are "practical" go through mechanical engineering without much trouble simply because the concepts could be applied. Also, if anon's ambitious, it really is good for him to just go for ChemE.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.