[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /sliderule/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: Teaching_sliderule_comparison.jpg (146 KB, 816x612) Image search: [Google]
Teaching_sliderule_comparison.jpg
146 KB, 816x612
Who /sliderule/ here?
>>
>>7751050

I have two. The best of the two was from the early 1940s.

I took one to a computer science final exam once, but I had a calculator for backup. That was in 1998 or so.

The T.A. picked it up and played with it for a few minutes. I don't think he knew how to use it.
>>
Use a calculator you fucking autists
>>
>>7751054
My parents got me a new Faber-Castell 2/83N for Christmas. I need to pick up a used pocket-size one that I can actually use regularly though.
>>
>used pocket-size one
*sob* I lost mine..
slide rule is the future
slide rule and RPN
>>
>>7751050
Only retard faggots use sliderules
BTFO
>>
>Who /obsolete technology/ here?
>>
File: 88530976.png (2 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
88530976.png
2 MB, 1024x768
>>7751050
>>7751054
Don't get me wrong, slide rules are interesting as a historical novelty.

But going around actually using one to show off how esoteric you are is just being a sperg
>pic related
>>
>>7753266

Let's due a test.

I'll get my slide rule and you get your calculator.

We'll then perform the following steps:
1) Drop slide rule and calculator into a pot of boiling water so that both are completely immersed.
2) Remove slide rule and calculator from pot of boiling water.
3) Perform a multiplication or division
4) Repeat
>>
>>7753348
>>7753351
kek
>>
File: 51HhYsXCFJL.jpg (56 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
51HhYsXCFJL.jpg
56 KB, 333x500
>>7751050
Sliderulers are for plebs, nomographs are top tier.
>>
>>7753351
kek

Yeah dude I'll be sure to keep that in mind the next time I'm on Autism vs Wild and I need to perform emergency combat math in the jungles of Suriname. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I could drive down to walmart, pick up a $15 scientific calculator, and drive back to do my multiplication and division in the time it took you to use said slide rule.

Go ahead and math however you're comfortable man, but this is dumb on the level of arguing whether Legolas could out-shoot a soldier with an automatic rifle.
>>
Made one out of cardboard, fun to use
http://www.scientificamerican.com/media/pdf/Slide_rule.pdf
>>
File: 1378701934110.jpg (18 KB, 251x241) Image search: [Google]
1378701934110.jpg
18 KB, 251x241
>>7753366
>>
File: mfw.gif (4 MB, 400x376) Image search: [Google]
mfw.gif
4 MB, 400x376
>>7753366
>>
>>7753266
>oing around actually using one to show off how esoteric you are is just being a sperg
There are other reasons to go around using them.

Ever notice how progress in aerospace nearly ground to a halt and costs started going up around the 70s? Remember all those aerospace guys using slide rules constantly until computers made them "obsolete" around that same time?

Using a calculator is a distraction, a tedious subordination to the demands of interfacing with the machine, which then performs the calculation through a method entirely opaque and inaccessible to the user.

Using a slide rule is an exercise. Part of the problem must be solved entirely mentally, and the other part is done openly, visibly, in such a way that with increasing experience, you learn to anticipate the result, giving you the ability to instantly have approximate answers even when you don't have the slide rule, which you start to only use to check the answer and make it more exact. Like the abacus, people very familiar with the slide rule start to be able to use it without having it.

Working with a slide rule general develops an intuitive sense of numbers and curves, training you to make good guesses, working through the problems of a narrow subject, such as an engineering project, with a slide rule makes you intimately familiar with its quantitative characteristics.

Today's calculator users look at their models through a peephole compared to the broad, intuitive perception of their slide-rule-using predecessors.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.