[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you have to know ANY math to be an engineer? In order to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: leibniz-kek.jpg (274 KB, 1280x1117) Image search: [Google]
leibniz-kek.jpg
274 KB, 1280x1117
Do you have to know ANY math to be an engineer?

In order to have Knowledge, one must have a justified true belief.

Most engineers have lots of "true beliefs" about mathematics, but since mathematics is taught to engineers (in the US, except at Caltech) without justifications (i.e. proofs) they do not have knowledge; their justification for any beliefs about mathematics they know is "my professor/teacher/textbook told me" which does not count, since one could use the same reasoning to justify believing in astrology or other things which have been proven incorrect.
>>
Engineers only need formulas to do their work. Fill in the blanks I might say.
>>
In what third world shithole is mathematics taught without proofs?
>>
>>7750306
I'm using topology in my current research, but that's not the eco chamber answer you wanted to here so feel free to ignore me.
>>
>>7750306
How is this any different from you assuming proofs with an axiomatic basis?
Also, most engineers, at least me, do spend time reading proofs and doing them.
>>
>>7750523
This. There isn't much high level math in Engineering (mostly because you want to simplify models as much as possible), but the little math there is is done formally.
>>
>>7750306
Firstly, knowledge is not the same as justified true belief: look up Gettier.
Secondly, i dont think that knowing a proof for a methematical theorem is the only way of having justified belief in its truth. Imo its also justifiable if you heard of its truth from other trustworthy sources
>>
Some engineers don't do more than PEMDAS

Some engineers just make sure schematics follow government regulation

Some engineers do need to know 3 dimensional calculus and topology.

Depends on the field and engineering position.
>>
>>7750306
Both schools I attended for engineering in Ohio have taught proofs with their math
>>
File: SO-WHAT.jpg (56 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
SO-WHAT.jpg
56 KB, 640x360
>>7750306
You don't have to know reproductive medicine to be able to fuck, either. What's your point?
>>
>>7750527

How do you use topology?
>>
>>7750607

has Knowledge of mathematical fact --> has justified true belief about mathematical fact

(Gettier showed that the reverse inclusion is not true)

Can one have a justified belief if one never learns the proof?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.