[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Biomed,microbiology, or biochemistry?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1449459180180.gif (44 KB, 711x885) Image search: [Google]
1449459180180.gif
44 KB, 711x885
Biomed,microbiology, or biochemistry?
>>
>>7749721
try a real discipline like physics
>>
>>7749721
biomedical science is usually just biochemistry and molecular biology. at my school the department of biochemistry is actually called "Biochemistry and Biomedical Science"
don't know if it differs elsewhere tho
>>7749781
pop science the major
>>
>>7749781
>Given a multiple choice question
>Doesn't use any of the possible answers

You must be a good test taker
>>
Depending on the rigor of your school, Biochem's would be your best bet. You've got a strong start in any of the subspecialty biologies, physics and math should you ever change your mind at the halfway point. And obviously if you're willing to do some hell your last two years, you can double dip and get a chem degree easy (or just take an extra year).

Keep in mind it's very much not like biologies, the chemistry emphasis of most programs is huge. If you're good at math and physics it's the one for you. I'd also look into some coding and information technologies courses, they'd certainly up your ability to actually do shit when you volunteer/independent study in a lab.

Source: B.S. in Biochemistry.
>>
>>7749802
of course i am, i do physics
>>
>>7749721
molecular biology
>>
>>7749806
This

I'll be graduating with a BS in Biochem this spring. Job growth is enormous, but I personally have had a falling out. I'm heading more towards pure chem for grad school which is not a problem at all. I think it's a very marketable degree to have. I just don't like biology as much as I thought I did.
>>
>>7750697
what made you change your mind to pure chem?
>>
File: image.png (58 KB, 385x456) Image search: [Google]
image.png
58 KB, 385x456
>>7750719
I just found that I really don't like biology. Something to do with pure synthesis like organic (which still has a lot of ties to Biochem) would be preferable to me, or something that involves more math (like ChemE) would be more interesting. I just couldn't get over the memorization in my bio classes. I did fine in them, they just really pushed me away from enjoying biology at all.

I'm applying for PhD programs in organic and organometallics currently. Would probably be a god if I got a PhD in Biochem (it's listed as like 20%+ job growth on BLS) but I just don't enjoy it nearly as much. Also, cultures are smelly.
>>
>>7750778
what were your most mathematically rigorous classes as a biochem major?
>>
>>7750891
Not that guy, but we did through Calc 2 at my school, and had to take calc based physics, as well.
>>
>>7750891
Mathematically rigorous? Probably calc 2 and pchem. Looking back there's not much I had trouble with understanding conceptually, just the workload was fucking incredible. I took a lab course that I would spend an average of 7 hours class/outside work on per week for 1 credit. (It was a 3.25 hour lab twice a week)
>>
THEORETICAL PHYSICS BITCH
>>
>>7750917
meme
>>
>>7749721

Biochemistry. Most quantitative. Basis in physical and analytical

>>7750891

Depends on the school and degree. I did undergrad at a small liberal arts college that didn't offer BS degrees; the BA in chemistry only required multivariable calc. Currently in a PhD program at a big state university, and a BS in biochemistry requires differential equations and linear algebra.
>>
Biochem if you want to be employed in some industrial manufacturing.

The others if you want to work at mcdonalds to pay off your debt.
>>
>>7749721
i chose microbio, making out much better than i would with either of those, biomedical is oversaturated and thusly pays for shit, and biochemistry is starting to fall that way, but micro has been growing fairly well, if course if you do micro youll be doing biochem also so yeah
>>
Continued from >>7751266

The basis in physical and analytical chemistry will give you more options. You can go in any number of directions (biophysical, synthetic medicinal, bioorganic, computational, structural biology, etc.) with a degree in biochemistry -- plus the right electives and research experience -- that you won't have coming from a biology or biomedical science program.
>>
>>7749721
If any name of any major contains the word "medicine", just assume it's quakery, because it is
>>
>>7750917
Popsci fag
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.