[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 'le great Ramanujan' a meme? Or was he actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: index2.jpg (9 KB, 242x209) Image search: [Google]
index2.jpg
9 KB, 242x209
Is 'le great Ramanujan' a meme? Or was he actually Indian Rain man?
>>
>>7749075
He wasn't great but he could have been if he had not died young.
>>
He was a good mathematician
Not at the level of gauss or Euler though.
He was remarkable at noticing patters and else was average .
>>
>>7749075
It is said that he had his deepest mathematical insights while he was outside on the street, defecating.
>>
>>7749075

Y'all realize he was a brilliant mathematician in terms of aptitude but didn't contribute much because he preferred menial jobs right?

He made discoveries despite being untrained (although I'd agree it was easier then, still a brilliant feat though).

Some say he's one of the people that inspired the character in Good Will Hunting (gifted but didn't wish to get into academia, choosing crappy jobs over it).

People make a lot of fun of him more because white supremacy and less because "he didn't contribute much despite being brilliant, although he did sort of do some cool stuff".

Imagine how much shit an Indian Feyman would get for having 125 IQ, that's Ramanujan.
>>
>>7749137
>Imagine how much shit an Indian Feyman would get for having 125 IQ, that's Ramanujan.

Terrible comparison, he was the opposite of Feymann, very gifted but uninterested in serious research.

You get the point though.
>>
>>7749137
Really?
>muh white supremacy

Dumb argument
>>
>>7749137
>Some say he's one of the people that inspired the character in Good Will Hunting
That was actually Chris Langan.
>>
>>7749075
He's nothing like Rainman. He was a mathematical genius.
>>
>>7749128
I kek'd
>>
>>7749075
even the worst "big" white mathematician was better than him
>>
>>7749075
The guy had ridiculous intuition for number theory. However because he was self taught he didn't really have a firm grasp of formalism. As a result he would come up with some insane insights and conjectures but he often needed to work together with someone else in order to properly formalize his arguments.

Back in India he was dirt poor so he would do all his work on a chalkboard and then only write down his results into loose leaf paper that he collected as notebooks. He produced four such notebooks. Each of the notebooks contained hundreds to thousands of results but no proofs. The existence of the fourth notebook wasn't known until after his death. To cite Bruce C. Berndt:
>The discovery of this 'Lost Notebook' caused roughly as much stir in the mathematical world as the discovery of Beethoven’s tenth symphony would cause in the musical world. (Peterson 2006)

>>7749137
This is wrong, and retarded.

Ramanujan left his wife behind to go study in England in a paid research position after coaxing from Hardy. He was a strict vegetarian and as vegetarian food was often not available to him he often cooked in his office and made do with whatever he could get a hold of. This led to a vitamin deficiency which wasn't helped by other health problems. He was also an aboriginal subject of English Madras, this made him a second class citizen in England and (according to biographers) was treated as such by many including at times Hardy and Littlewood.

After falling ill and succumbing to depression he decided that this wasn't the life he wanted to live and returned to his wife in India. He believed that if he had brought his wife to England with him then things would have been okay. Back home he more or less quit mathematics and lived out the rest of his short life focusing on religion.

(cont.)
>>
>>7749470

>preferred menial jobs
Ramanujan always looked for jobs in mathematics from the get go. After showing his results to the secretary for in the Indian Mathematical Society he was given funding and sent to Madras to study. Later on he worked as some jobs as an accountant and continued working on mathematics in his spare time.

He contacted English mathematicians about his results with the intention of corresponding with them (his parents were against him moving to England).

The claim that he preferred menial jobs when he didn't hold any throughout his life is outrageous.
>>
He is behind the 1+2+3=1/12 troll

POO
IN
LOO
>>
>>7749128
kek
>>
>>7749240
>white
What the hell does that have to do with anything?
>>
The way he intuitively saw results suggests that he had a type of numerical synaesthesia, possibly a geometric one?
He must have had inhibited functioning of certain inhibitory circuits in his brain. Some autistic savants only need to interpret what their uninhibited brain keeps milling on its own.
Reminds me of psychedelia.
>>
>>7749817
I also suspect that he had to have some sort of 1337 H4X.

Here's a quote of a quote of a quote.
>Quoting K. Srinivasa Rao,[94] "As for his place in the world of Mathematics, we quote Bruce C. Berndt: 'Paul Erdős has passed on to us Hardy's personal ratings of mathematicians. Suppose that we rate mathematicians on the basis of pure talent on a scale from 0 to 100, Hardy gave himself a score of 25, J.E. Littlewood 30, David Hilbert 80 and Ramanujan 100.'"
>>
>>7749075
Neither, really.

Ramanujan had incredible talent for insights, pulling bizarre formulae and equations out of his ass, but he didn't provide many proofs and many of his results (not all) were ridiculously useless even by the standards of number theory, so he didn't push mathematics forward like a person of Euler's importance.
>>
>>7749540
It has something to do with everything.

You cracker fuck.
>>
>>7749822
>>Quoting K. Srinivasa Rao,[94] "As for his place in the world of Mathematics, we quote Bruce C. Berndt: 'Paul Erdős has passed on to us Hardy's personal ratings of mathematicians. Suppose that we rate mathematicians on the basis of pure talent on a scale from 0 to 100, Hardy gave himself a score of 25, J.E. Littlewood 30, David Hilbert 80 and Ramanujan 100.'"

homosexuals giving perfect ratings to their lovers...
>>
>>7750289
whew lad.

Someone's jealous.
>>
>>7750289
>implying you don't wish Erdos was quoted as rating you as a 10/10 pure talent mathematician.
>>
>>7749817
/sci/ please comment on this.
Ramanujan's brain was rendering mock theta functions on its own while he was on his deathbed.
>>
>>7749128
Butthurt white guy detected.
>>
>>7751772
Can you actually comprehend what this means, /sci/? He just described something that his brain had naturally computed. I guess those thetas unexpectedly (or not) show up a lot in a fundamental way?
>>
>>7749831
>ridiculously useless

So much Ramanujan misinformation in this thread.

He was a very good mathematician who made significant contributions and came from a difficult background. There you go OP that's Ramanujan. Stop trying to organize people on power levels like this is DBZ.
>>
>>7749075

>"Dear Sir, I am very much gratified on perusing your letter of the 8th February 1913. I was expecting a reply from you similar to the one which a Mathematics Professor at London wrote asking me to study carefully Bromwich's Infinite Series and not fall into the pitfalls of divergent series. … I told him that the sum of an infinite number of terms of the series: 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + · · · = −1/12 under my theory. If I tell you this you will at once point out to me the lunatic asylum as my goal. I dilate on this simply to convince you that you will not be able to follow my methods of proof if I indicate the lines on which I proceed in a single letter. …"

so yes, Ramanujan is the one who came up with /sci/'s dankest meme.
>>
>>7749075

A lot of people forget that a good portion of his work was useless.

I don't mean he went down a few dead ends, a lot of his work was downright stupid/pointless.

He did do some great things though.
>>
>>7752522
truth senpai tbbq

besides john von neuman's powerlevel outstrips anyone and everyone ever
>>
>>7751772
Pls discuss
>>
>>7752482
sitting on a toilet doesn't hurt, pahjeet
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.