[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does math become Ivory Tower bullshit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: ByDCZ.jpg (674 KB, 2955x2216) Image search: [Google]
ByDCZ.jpg
674 KB, 2955x2216
When does math become Ivory Tower bullshit?
>>
>>7748331
Is that Paul Sally?
I only know him by the little cartoon he draws at the end of his proofs.
He died before I got to Uchicago.

I don't think math ever becomes Ivory Tower bullshit, but then again, I don't think any pursuits that contribute to human knowledge are wasted efforts.
>>
>>7748331
As soon as the word "pure" applies to it.

Pure mathematics has never given us anything useful in real life.

>but m-muh number theory for cryptography
Until computer scientists and APPLIED mathematicians started using it to break large-bit ciphers, number theory was just jerking off to taxpayer money. Even now, the best number theory work comes from cryptographers.
>>
File: 1429516153412.png (5 KB, 386x308) Image search: [Google]
1429516153412.png
5 KB, 386x308
>>7748331
>americans in charge of being classy
>>
>>7748456
>until it was useful, number theory was not useful

YUP. Great insight here from a clearly superior 500 IQ engineer or physicist or whatever the fuck.

I feel miniscule when compared to the vast intellect of non-mathematician /sci/ posters.

But let me be serious for a bit.

When boolean algebra was invented (by a mathematician, not a computer scientist or engineer or any other useless faggot) it was just used in theory. Little did that guy knowt hat soon enough boolean algebra would be used to improve mechanical designs of the machines of time and even less did he know that a couple hundreds of year in the future there would be some fucking faggot undermining the importance on pure mathematics while posting on a website that does everything with the boolean algebra he invented and developed.

That is how stupid you are. You may kill yourself now.
>>
>>7748525
>>7748456

*machines of the time

And if I may keep touching on number theory:

You seem to think that the results of number theory had only by chance significance in the field of cryptography but you are incredibly wrong on this one.

When the number theorists of thousands of years ago would see primes they did not get interested in them for no reason. They saw that they were inherently special and different from all other numbers, a result that was confirmed with the fundamental theorem of algebra. They saw that they had unique characteristics that ought to be studied.

And now, in modern day cryptography, all that we realized is that just as the number theorists of the past thought, prime numbers have inherently unique characteristics that ought to be studied.
>>
>>7748456
>Pure mathematics has never given us anything useful in real life.
>"Why? Well, the only exampled I've heard is le cryptography! :^)"

>best number theory work
>cryptographers
>in modern times

>>7748525 pretty much put your stupid ass in place already, every math has been "pure math" until people find the myriad of things it applies to. and this is humoring your fucked up notion that "usefulness in ""real life""" is somehow a valid measuring system for how good a career is
>>
>>7748525
>>7748535
>>7748541

> pure math goons mad that someone said what every non virgin in western society is thinking

Sorry about it, but you're endless circlejerk won't get you laid with a real girl, and you won't actually make any money with your shit degree.
Stay mad that applied mathematicians are changing the world and you're on your sad ass doing nothing useful.
>>
File: db0.jpg (40 KB, 349x642) Image search: [Google]
db0.jpg
40 KB, 349x642
>>7748561
>Say something idiotic
>People call you out
>"LOL YOU MAD"

pic related
>>
>>7748331

This thread is stupid. You don't deserve to breath Paul Sally's air.
>>
>>7748568
Keep getting bothered bud. You know why there's few applied mathematicians on sci? Cause they're out getting accolades for saving lives or they're out drinking with buddies or banging 10/10s. You're sad life of 4chan and memes is not even worthy of mention desu.
>>
>>7748583
Lmao. You waste of life
>>
>>7748583
>posting in 4chan
>makes fun of people posting in 4chan

gee no wonder you're too dumb for pure math :^)
>>
>>7748331
>When does math become Ivory Tower bullshit?
... when some urban redneck moron says so.
>>
Anything which doesn't seek to answer an easily explainable question.
>>
>>7748625
Easily explainable to who? That would rule out calculus until we severely restricted who we were explaining the problem to.
>>
>>7748645
Who the fucked asked you about your stupid ass life, you faggot? Blogpost and whine somewhere else, you're sperging out hard.
>>
>>7748525
Boolean algebra is kind of obvious, which is what most of pure math actually is; restating old math in a more formal and archaic -but not more general- manner. And then fucking naming it after yourself to top it off.
>>
>>7748525
Also fuzzy logic is actually the more important breakthrough to developing digital computing, but feel free to keep circle jerking on that one sort of similar thing some guy in your field sort of did.
>>
>>7748657
>Pure math is repeating obvious things

confirmed for middle school freshman
>>
>>7748671
>Thinks math isn't obvious and intuitive to intelligent people
Pure mathematician detected.
>>
>>7748680
If all math is obvious and intuitive to you, solve any of the millenium problems and collect your money and fields medal ASAP

otherwise, keep pretending to be a tough guy in an online imageboard, you're doing great.
>>
>>7748689

Bigguy4u
>>
>>7748662
protip: it's not
>>
>>7748643
Integrals/FTC is pretty easy to explain, limits are harder though...
>>
>>7748680
>a human construction based entirely in rationalization and arbitration can ever be intuitive

Please, stop.
>>
>>7748643
>area problem
>not easily explainable
>>
>>7748331
Math is a religion.
Math is lies.
Math is a severe dumbing down of the world around you.

No human-made math can properly quantify even one aspect of anything in the universe. Even to quantify, say an apple, you'd need more computing power and storage than has been created in the history of mankind or will ever be created by mankind.

Thus, we end up with shit like "Apple = 1", "1 + 1 = 2", "2 apples!"
>>
when it's done in an ivory tower and written with bull dung
>>
>>7749246
Nobody said otherwise. That is why they call it mathematical "modeling".
The amazing thing is that math which is a purely formal construction and has *nothing* to do with the real world can, when interpreted, give us even a little information about how the world works.
>>
>>7748911
>what is the third isomorphism theorem for groups
>>
>>7748350
I know that feel anon. I wanted to learn analysis from a pirate ;_;.
>>
math is obvious and intuitive, this is why you like music

the brain is doing math all the time

even just listening to some random sounds the brain is effectively running a constant realtime fft stream, just in the background
>>
>>7749284
My hats off to you, anon. When I tell those things in >>7749246 irl they normally go fucking apeshit. It is much the same response as a religious person being told their god doesn't exist. It also happens to be the best way to differentiate people who have little understanding of maths and those that really truly know their shit. The latter are those who become great mathematicians and scientists should they choose that path.

>>7749397
>math is obvious and intuitive

Intuitive is to intuit. Which is to understand or work out by instinct; using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning. Is that what you are saying math is? Also, the rest of your post doesn't relate to processing actual maths. No more so than using taste to say that you have chemical intuition. Sounds rather absurd really.

Intuition is something you are born with. It is instinct. Once you start learning things, it is no longer intuition. However, humans love using words incorrectly and changing their meanings all the time. So, in one sense, I guess you are correct or will be correct later on. lol

>In mathematics you don’t understand things. You just get used to them.
>>
>>7748350
how is honors analysis at chicago? I was admitted, wondering if I should go
>>
>>7749438
Holy shit you just described my college life in just one post.
>>
>>7749246
>Math is a religion.
Religion is usually defined as a belief in, or the worship of, a god or gods. In what god or gods do mathematicians believe and how do they worship him or them?

>Math is lies.
Lie is usually defined as an untruthful statement. What mathematical axioms do you find untruthful and why?

>Math is a severe dumbing down of the world around you.
No, math is an abstraction of the world around you. Dumbing down is usually defined as a deliberate oversimplification of intellectual content within education, literature, cinema, news, and culture in order to relate to those unable to assimilate more sophisticated information. But intellectual content isn't contained in physical objects and events (if that's what you mean by "the world around you"), so you can not simplify them.
>>
>>7749710
armchair mathematician spotted
>>
>>7749818
Do you have an answer to any of my questions?
>>
File: 323.jpg (24 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
323.jpg
24 KB, 500x378
>>7749846
What for? All those questions are completely unrelated to the subject which has totally blown you by because you have no clue about maths at all. It is like we are talking about fruit and you piped up and said, "but orange is a color not a fruit!"
>>
>>7749591
I placed into honors analysis and took it for about 2 weeks.
It's only for people that want to spend ~12 hours a day doing math. That is honestly not an exaggeration. You cover 6 chapters of baby Rudin for the first lecture.
>>
>>7750023
>All those questions are completely unrelated to the subject
Then, what is the subject?

>you have no clue about maths at all
What exactly makes you think that?

>It is like we are talking about fruit and you piped up and said, "but orange is a color not a fruit!"
Can you give me a constructive criticism of my post instead of using analogies?
>>
>>7749246
What do you mean by quantifying an apple? I can easily quantify, for example, a number of apples lying on the table in front of me right now.
>>
>>7749246
>Math is lies.
The only Lie in mathematics is Sophus!
>>
>>7750359
You are not worth discussing this with. You don't have the educational foundation nor the mental ability to discuss this. I draw this conclusion because you are unable to follow the current conversation. Good day, sir.
>>
>>7749710
Abstractions are usually lies.
>>
>>7749438
>intuition is something you are born with
that's instinct. instinct does not equal intuition.
>>
>>7750628
No they aren't
>>
>>7748331
Calculus II.
>>
Pure mathematical discoveries are important because they may have a purpose/utility which is currently unknown to us.

When radioactivity was discovered, no one could have anticipated nuclear power being created.

Discoveries do not need immediate economic benefits to be considered worthwhile. It may come in time, it may not - all that matters is that we obtain a more complete understanding of math/life/the universe/whatever.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.