[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, so I'm not sure how this thread will go over on /sci/,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
Okay, so I'm not sure how this thread will go over on /sci/, but I expect the replies here will be a lot more interesting than anything /x/ would come up with.

So, my question is this: what are some oddly interesting theories you've heard from any field? Not necessarily ones that are likely, but unique ideas that you find intriguing. I'll start with two of my favourite biology ones.

>Neanderthal predation theory: instead of looking like slightly brawnier humans, Neanderthals actually looked more apelike (see pic) and actively preyed on early Homo sapiens. Author of this theory believes that legends like werewolves and satyrs are in fact distorted legends of predatory Neanderthal bands.

>the Ediacaran biota have no extant descendants, and form an entirely new kingdom-level branch that went extinct 550mya
>>
>One-electron universe: All electrons have exactly the same charge and mass since they are in fact the same electron with a really fucked-up world line. Positrons are just electrons moving backwards in time.
>>
File: natureGreenland isotopes.jpg (367 KB, 946x1075) Image search: [Google]
natureGreenland isotopes.jpg
367 KB, 946x1075
Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis

An ash layer has been found in a 50 million square kilometer area with evidence of carbon spherules and nanodiamonds which supposedly only form during impact and spread as ejecta.

The theory gives reason for the Quarternary extinction event and the creation of the Channeled Scablands of Washington.

>TLDR

a handful of 2 kilometer wide bolides collide with the ice sheets covering Canada around 12,800 years ago. The extreme amounts of melted and evaporated fresh water sends the earth deep back into the iceage it was coming out of. It took the earth around 1000 years to recover. Humans began to or reorganized into civilizations at the end of this 1000 year period (see Gobekli Tepe)
>>
My adviser's old adviser has spent the last years of his life apparently writing a theory for how the quantization of things like angular momentum and charge and such of elementary particles can be explained from the algebra of knots formed by some sort of primordial strings.
It's not string theory, but for the life of me I have no idea what it's called.

>>7747683
that's not actually a theory. it was invented as a joke.
>>
File: theexpanse.jpg (155 KB, 782x687) Image search: [Google]
theexpanse.jpg
155 KB, 782x687
> The universe is not infinite, but more like cyclical. Everything in the universe has happened before and will happen again.
>>
>>7748155
I found it. He calls it the [math] SL_q(2) [/math] extension of the standard model. Basically, fermions are trefoil knots and gauge bosons are ditrefoil knots formed from these primordial strings.
>>
>>7748135
graham hancock is that you?
>>
>>7748168
I put your mom in a knot last night
>>
>>7748181
This board isn't meant for people who haven't graduated from highschool yet.
>>
>>7748180
Magicians of the Gods is a fun book to read.
>>
File: sci.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
sci.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>7748186
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.