[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EE's btfo http://www.computerworld.com/articl e/3017196
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sci/ - Science & Math

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Woody.jpg (343 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Woody.jpg
343 KB, 1920x1080
EE's btfo
http://www.computerworld.com/article/3017196/it-careers/u-s-predicts-zero-job-growth-for-electronics-engineers.html
>>
Electronics have been in a 40 year bubble, we don't need bigger TV's, smaller cell phones, smarter appliances, or to be quite frank, faster home computers... I could go on. EE's have done amazing things in the past, but we have reached the top of the S curve, there is nowhere else to go.
>>
I'd like to think this is less drastic than the article implies; EE s are still important for hardware design, and since I'm minoring in CS I'm essentially a computer engineer so even if it's true hopefully I won't be as impacted....
>>
>>7747377
We never really need anything but that shit still turns profits.
>>
>>7747377
> implying people won't be lining up in droves to buy the iPhone 20 years from now
>>
>>7747366
> the engineering world, like the economy in general, has seen little job growth over the past several year

>company claims that American is suffering from a massive shortage of skilled engineers,

This, my friends. is what it looks like when you believe in a meme.

10 years ago big businesses were angry that they had to pay engineers more than 80k. So they paid universities (or had other influence) so that they would market engineering as the best of the best and as 'What you SHOULD do!'

And it worked. It fucking worked. Just like at /sci/, a bunch of engy fags who will exclaim to the day they die that engineering is the master race.

Now take a look at this:
> the number of people employed as electrical and electronics engineers is now at 316,000, and will remain mostly unchanged for the next decade.

So 316000 is the cap for EE but it is already filled.

This paper https://www.asee.org/papers-and-publications/publications/college-profiles/2011-profile-engineering-statistics.pdf tells us that there are >9000 new electrical engineers per year.

So next year there will be 9000 useless electrical engineers and what do you think will happen?

Already employed engineers will be told by the boss 'I'm glad that you have 10 years experience and a masters but... I could hire this homeless man with an EE degree and pay him only minimum wage and he'd be fucking happy. So either you take minimum wage or you are fired!'

In about 10 years there will be almost 100000 electrical engineers that simply are not needed.

How do you feel, engineers?

You got a nice meme in the shape of big fat cock fed for decades and now you are paying for it.

Please tell me that soon we will get a similar study pointing at the same for computer science.

I just love seeing people who are so retarded that they eat up any meme they see get BTFO.
>>
>>7747408
What isnt a meme degree
>>
>>7747415
Any degree that is not popular in pop culture and has not been pushed down our throats by advertising is not a meme degree.

It is funny that you people haven't even realized that the reason so many companies are pushing for the 'woman engineer!' meme is that women for some reason are not as likely to demand salary raises.

This means even though they will have to give them the same initial salary, 10 years down the line the company will be able to save up to 30 thousand dollars a year per engineer if they are able to replace every male engineer with a female engineer.

And yet most of you just sing along 'Go girl! You can do it!'

And while I do believe women can be engineers, you have to admit that the reason that companies are pushing for that is really fucked up.
>>
>>7747405

>implying you need as many engineers to make the iPhone 20 as you did to make the iPhone 19.
>>
>>7747366
What do you accomplish in saying "LOL BTFO"? Yes, America has been lagging in producing quality engineers. Of course places like MIT and Princeton don't have this issue. Some unis have been forced to change curiculum to accommodate more social sciences because of the stupid SJW agenda. I know my uni requires at least 3 classes less than 15 years ago and even more gen Ed and it's ridiculous.

>>7747408
Settle the fuck down you autist, why are you so angry?
>>
>>7747408
Ass blasted math major detected. Good thing I already secured my job 3 years ago. :^)
>>
>>7747585
>autist
>angry
>Ass blasted

The guy showed two studies to back all his shit up. What do you have?
>>
>>7747852
From a fucking decade>>7747377
Power infrastructure is still shit. It's a good focus for EEs.
>>
>what are H-1B visas

/thread
>>
>>7747366
you americans are welcome to come work in europe as engineers, oh wait, no you're not because your higher education is a meme lmao
>>
>>7747585
Did you read the article? Or even the fucking title of the article?
It has nothing to do with the quality of engineers being produced in America. It's saying there likely won't be any new jobs becoming available for EE's, which is a problem given the number of people graduating from relevant degree because of the short-sighted (and often blatantly false) claims that there are far more jobs being created in STEM fields than can be filled with relevant STEM graduates.
>>
>>7747796
Jesus Christ this is why I hate /sci/. I'm not calling out anyone and I never said ass blasted you idiot. I'm saying there is no point in saying "LOL BTFO" which the anon was doing. I'm curious why he is so angry. Do I need sources to say this? No, I don't.

>>7748577
Did you even read it? I don't think so since like 5% of /sci/ actually reads the articles anons post these days.
>"This bleak view of engineering is in direct contrast with company claims that American is suffering from a massive shortage of skilled engineers," Harrison pointed out.
>>
>>7749094
I get the feeling this anon is right. If you're a engineer with some skill, or graduated from a top university (or both), you will probably be fine.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.